Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How Much Longer?

JoyJJoy Posts: 560
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Ok, guys! I'm 7 weeks post-op and still in pain almost all the time--not horrible pain, but I can't find a position to get in that I don't hurt! This is getting really old now. I'm not taking pain medication but twice a day because I am so scared of getting "hooked." How long does it take before you get to where you realize that your pain is gone at least for a few hours?
advertisement

Comments

• Sorry Joy,

I am told it is a long process and to take your meds to stay ahead of the pain.

I take mine every 6 hours and I wear a patch. I am still in pain but it is moderate (3-5). If I let my pain get out of control it goes right up to a 8-10.

Maybe you can speak with your MD about the pain meds and find something that is longer lasting and stronger.

Soft Hugs,

Julie
  • EVery person is different whn it comes to recovery.
    I had a PLIF on June 24th and Im already feeling 80% better than I was before surgery. My pain is now minimal.
    Dont push too hard. Your pain will get better :)

Good Luck,
    Christina :)
  • I had my PLIF on June 9 and I feel so much less pain than before the surgery - unless I get real stupid and try to do too much. I am extremely tired, partially because I wake up during the night to turn over and so don't rest as much. And I have admit that I have had some other problems totally unrelated to back, maybe to surgery, but who knows. They were with my heart and caused me to not be allowed to do as much PT as I feel I should. Oh well, as they say, this too shall be yesterday's problem, because I will find another one tomorrow. (or something like that).

Always come to the forum - we ain't the lions - we're the good guys.
  • Joy I am now 14 weeks and I feel that in the last week I have turned a corner. I will start to reduce my meds now but a week ago I wouldn't have comtemplated it.
    I had L3-S1 with hardware so it was a big op and I have to remind myself as you do that we have gone through a lot.

Dont be afraid of becomming hooked. You would have to be taking it over a long period for that to happen not just a matter of weeks or even a couple of months.

Life is so much more bearable (as is sleeping) if you keep ahead of the pain.

Blessings Sara
  • As I posted earlier, I'm still in a lot of discomfort. Perhaps I'm doing more things than I should. I hung a load of laundry out on my deck yesterday and most likely leaned over too many times. I used my handy grabber to pick up the clothes, but on reflection I perhaps moved in ways I shouldn't have. Can't we do any leaning to the front or to the side?
  • Joy,

It took me a good year(wrong choice of words cause it was really a bad year)before I started to really feel better and see a difference. I understand how you are feeling. Its very difficult to stay positive for a year, let alone 7 weeks.

Dick
    Emergency surgery in March of 2006 for spinal infection of L 2 and L 3. During surgery, discovered I had Cauda Equina Syndrome. Spine became unstable after surgery and had 360 fusion with 10 pedicle screws, plates and rods in April of 2007.
advertisement