Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Nerve Pain in other leg?

FormerfireFFormerfire Posts: 148
At the risk of being a continual pain - i am now 12 weeks post op L5s1 discectomy...I must say my nerve pain is increasing again. Of course i notice it much more at the end of the day, but it is enough now to bug me again. In fact today i scared myself when i felt slight nerve feelings in the OTHER leg!

Is it normal to get inflamed again and cause pain?

It started again with PT (but it is only extremely mild pilates).

Also, after lying down, i feel really really weak in the back again. Is it usual to feel like that? It takes me a while to get up and i have to walk a few metres before everything kicks in properly again.

Hmmmm...love to know if anyone has the same thing.

I fly for 9hrs in one week and am very nervous. OF Course i have no medical insurance for this trip thanks to my back.

advertisement

Comments

• Fomerfire, I am experiencing the same thing. I am 9 1/2 weeks post microdiscectomy on L5-S1. I had a very large fragment that was crushing my nerves and I basically had lost a ton of strength in my right leg. It all happened in only 6 weeks and due to the weakness and loss of reflex I did the surgery. I had some relief for the first few weeks, but in the past 3 weeks or so the sciatic pain is coming back. I had an MRI done last week just to make sure there wasn't anything going on as I too am getting weird senssations in the OPPOSITE leg (cold/hot spots, some numbing in hamstring and calf area). The MRI was clean. My surgery side is now getting burning and electrical type pain in the hamstring. I walk everyday up to about 2 miles and feel great. It is mostly when I am laying down or standing still for too long. My back gets really hot sometimes too, like a hot tight feeling, not sure if it is the muscles. In any event, I am not sure what causes all of this, other than the nerves still recovering? I read somewhere that when nerves are healing they sometimes feel the same as when they were getting damaged, i.e. burning, etc. - not sure how true that is, but I am hoping that's all this is! Be well and maybe you should get some meds for the long plane trip. My doctor started me on Lyrica, but I only took it once so far so can't tell you anything about it...best of luck and feel good.
  • I have had a revision of a failed fusion and PLIF for a herniated Disc on S1/L5 in January 08.I started to experience Nervepain(tingling,burning,Numbness etc) in my left calf and across the foot as well as toes shortly after the surgery.About 2 weks post-op I started to have sciatic Pain again and now both the nervepain and sciatica are also in the right Leg,in the same place.I was told at first,the nervepain was due to the surgeon having to move the S1/L5 Nerveroot in order to get the Cage in,I have had a CT Scan,which showed normal Room for the nerves and 2 X-rays,which also showed normal room.I am completely at a loss to understand,why I should still have this much (nerve)pain.I am hoping to get a referral for an MRI,maybe that will show something.I am taking 1000mg of Neurontin,which does not seem to be doing much of anything anymore and Lyrica did absolutely nothing,except cost a lot.