Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Quick question

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Anyone who has had L4-L5 fused, how much of your movement is restricted? Is it really noticeable? One of my biggest hesitations for fusion is that I'm worried about how much my movement would be restricted. Can you still bend well?
advertisement

Comments

• Just posted on your other thread!

I am interested in this myself because I will be having L4-L5 fused next month sometime. This question came up once before a while back, and if I remember correctly, someone who had come through the fusion said that she didn't really notice that much restriction in movement once she had recovered from the surgery. I think the bending backwards movement will be less, but I'm certainly not planning to do any limbo dancing anytime soon! I hope whoever it was who posted about this last time is still around and can help us.
  • I just had l4-s1 fused-but I am still in a brace so there is no way of knowing just yet.
  • I believe I have greater motion than prior to my surgery. I'm still able to bend backwards, have to gargle mouth wash somehow. My hamstrings are a lot tighter but they have always been really tight.

Dave
  • I am 6 months post op and can nearly touch my toes again....but this is no measure because I could do it b4. lol.

My biggest noticable restriction is TWISTING. I can't.
    For example, looking over your shoulder to reverse the car or turning on a stair case to see behind....all impossible and a cause of much pain.

Shoes, feet up on lap but this took a while and if your leg and thigh muscles are weak you'll feel it in your legs post op cos your using muscles you not used before abd finally, knees...my knees were sore too initially. Wear good rubber soft soled flat shoes to take the impact that isn't going thro your spine anymore.

I think the restrictions are minimal (several months post op) and worth the surgery if they help your pain. Good Luck
  • I was told there won't be any noticeable difference with a one level fusion. I am still too eary out to give my experience yet, no BLT for at least 6 more weeks, wearing TLSO brace as well until next post-op at 8 weeks. Good-luck with your decision, Sue
  • I had fusion to 4-5 in 2003. My flexibility and range of motion is the same as before surgery. I do not suffer that awful leg pain or really bad back pain as long as I am careful.

Hope this helps.

advertisement