Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

is lyrica the same as neurontin

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Pain Medications
hi is lyrica the same drug as neurontin or just the in the same family
thanks
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Benj
    I have taken both . They are used for the same reason but both are different in make up . People try different Drugs as they have different affects but they are designed to treat the same symptoms.Lyrica is very expensive but I found it to be the only one I could take. We are all so different.
  • :) hi! i never had the weight gain or the RESULTS i get from the medication Lyrica on the neurontin! Jenny :)
  • The Lyrica caused about a 25 lb weight gain along 15 months and it was very expensive. The Neurontin in a 300 mg twice a day did the same thing.
  • ...are all primarily developed as anticonvulsant (antiepilectic) drugs, but have been found to also be good at helping people deal with nerve pain. Consequently they are frequently prescribed off label for nerve pain control.

Lyrica and Neurontin are a similar family of drug ('Gaba analogs') whilst Topamax (Topimariate) is a fructose derivative.

Unfortunately they don't all help everyone and depending upon the specific person they can each have some unpleasant side effects, such as weight gain or feeling 'spaced out'.

However, a lot of people here have got good benefits from one or the others of these drugs.
    Keep positive!

Bruce

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• An alternative is Lidoderm patches, I use them along with gabapentin when im having really bad nerve pain, together I find there quite effective.
advertisement