Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Any advice, painful to ride in car....

4jkasper44jkasper Posts: 231
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
My family went school shopping this weekend and the 2 hour ride just about did me in. I used neck pillow, tried neck collar, got out a few times to walk around.Does anyone else have magical idea's. I have 2 kids that like to go and do things but I don't want to make the trip miserable for everyone.It really stinks!!!!
advertisement

Comments

• I too have trouble riding in a car. I do better if i am driving but I don't know if you are allowed to yet.After my surgery,I had a low dose muscle relaxer that helped before we took off driving. I also found the back seat of our van more comfortable than the front. The kids enjoyed me in the back seat also. Good Luck! Bethy
  • Yes, Iam the passenger.I have tried the seat in every position, nothing seems to help.It is just so frustrating......
  • Went on vacation and it was a 8 hr drive. I could only do it taking my drugs. Driving really bites. when I go to the NS it is an hour drive so I do it with no pain meds at all and I can feel every bump in the road. My left side is the one that is affected so the seat belt really bites. I do not go many places because of this. good luck and if you find a way to do it with out pain let us know.
  • Hi 4jkasper, I also have pain when we go on a 1 to 2 hour trip or more. Also I have troubles on dirt roads that have ruts and many bumps in the road. I usually wear my soft neck collar on the rough roads and put my head against the headrest. We have a GMC Sierra pickup and it does not ride as smooth as most passenger cars. We replaced the shocks which were almost worn out, and that has helped with limiting the bounce in the truck. I must stop at every rest stop or sooner and get out for a short period of time before going further. I have also noticed a better ride on newer tires. When our tires have only 32 pounds of pressure instead of 50 pounds of pressure as listed on the tires, I notice a difference. When the pain get bad, I have to take my pain medication. I hope this info gives you some ideas.
    GOD BLESS TO ALL
    KC
  • I am ALWAYS sore after riding in the care for any length of time and driving is even worse. What is worse for me is bumps.....I feel it all the way down my spine. I agree with the person who said pain meds are a must when driving.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,722
    This is a topic that almost every spine-problem sufferer has been through. At times, long drives can be the most irritating
    (action that you may take.
    Many times, you can not avoid those trips, so how do you prepare yourself?

It needs a multi-facet approach, doing just one of them will provide some comfort level, but the more you bring into the picture the better chances you have for a comfortable ride and more importantly being able to cope with it afterwards.

Pain Medications If your are the passenger, your normal dosage, if you are the driver, sorry, no pain meds for you!

Comfortable Clothes Believe it or not, this can make a big difference. When I used to drive 75 minutes each way to work, in a suit and tie, that really did me in. Doing that same drive in sweats is an easier task

Pillows All sorts of pillows. Those you can seat on, those behind your neck, those to lie down with

Distractions You need something to help you get your mind of your discomfort, plus it will make the drive seem quicker. That could be (a) Relaxing Music (b) Good Book or
    c) Some games.

Last but Most Important Do not Drive for more than 75 minutes at a time. Make sure you stop, get up, stretch, walk around, etc. Give yourself some down time to get your blood flowing again. That start the trip again.

Also some good advise is that plan your trip so that you will arrive at your destination at least 30 minutes before you are suppose to. Give yourself those 30 minutes to walk, to stretch and just try to get you body back to where it was before the car trip.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Hello, just wanted to add something that you may have already tried. No matter how long or little I am in a car, riding or driving I am always in some amount of pain. I use pillows which seem to help. What I wanted to say is that there are many types of car cushions that you can buy. You can strap them to your car seat and it makes the your seat much more omfortable. Hope this helps.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.