Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

finally motivated

froggyrn1ffroggyrn1 Posts: 90
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Good News
Hi all,
I'm just excited because I finished my first painting in a year and a half and I just started its sister too. I've had a super hard time getting motivated to do anything productive because my pain has only gotten worse since my surgery, so doing something positive for myself makes me feel a little more like me again.
Thanks for listening and happy healing to all...
~Lauren
advertisement

Comments

• :H Congrats on your commitment to doing something positive for yourself. My own low back injury was from a combative patient. I remember after my surgery on L5-S1 way back in 1989 my pain got worse too before it stabilized and I learned to 'get along' with my back. It was never the same and physical therapy and a whole lot of 'self care' was essential. It is hard to stay positive and self focused I know!!

Hugs to you. I stubbornly worked myself back to a point where I could go back to my ICU nursing part time for another 18 years...had kids to raise after all. All things are posible if we have faith. O:)

As I've aged its caught up with me, other health problems, an MVA, neck injury, now head injury and I've had to retire ...for now anyway.

Just wanted to say HI..always nice to meet up with another nurse!

PM if you ever want to talk. :-C

Deb (Mattsmom)

PLIF L5-S1 1989 work injury (combative patient)Did OK til MVA in 2000, rearended by woman in Dodge Ram. Needed ACLIF c5-6w/plates and screws 2001 multiple ESI's both levels. Residual pain following surgeries.Fast forward to 2007 cross country move w hubby's job: single episode of syncope, head trauma and seizure, TBI DX, and 'end of my normal life as I knew it.' Then Feb 2008 fall on icy stairwell R. knee arth surgery, R ACL small tears (surg on hold by me) multiple spinal strains and who knows??. Pain consult in progress MRI's pending.

• Those combative patients are always a treat, huh? Mine wasn't so bad it was just that she particularly awkward and non-compliant.
    Thanks for the response and the support. Its nice to hear that its possible to get back to normal work/life again after this whole thing...I'm so discouraged! I'll start PT this coming week, my surgeon thinks its the scar tissue impinging on the nerves now, so I hope it helps.
    And I hope your whole situation gets better soon too; you sound like a very strong and persevering individual whom I should really be taking notes from!
    Take care and thanks again,
    ~Lauren
  • when it comes to injuries like this. Yours is a WC like mine was and I remember needing to get back to work, and WC pushing me. So I did, out of stubborn willpower.

Trouble is I did it in PAIN. My pain got worse after surgery too and it was a very frustrating cycle. I had to become my own advocate as my surgeon did not want to admit he had not 'healed me' (God Complex). This was back in 1989.

In hindsite I should not have gone back to bedside nursing. Once you feel well enough and rehabbed, if at all possible you should not either; and should seek a lighter duty position you would enjoy such as UR or MDS. My neurosurgeon suggested newborn nursery. :)

Bedside with adults is really too heavy although nurses are the only ones who acknowledge this. It is the 'unpredictability factor' of patients that make it so dangerous to our spines once we have injured them, and the repetitive stress injury factor is what gets us over time IMO.

You take care and hope you feel better physically mentally and spiritually very soon. PM if you want.

PS be very careful in rehab and only do about halfway what they tell you if it hurts..because many tend to push too hard ....
    and put a cold pack or bag of frozen veggies (we use hash browns LOL) on you when you get home.

Hugs, Deb