Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I keep reading dont have the surgery?

LadyBugLLadyBug Posts: 851
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I'm partially paralyzed in legs 50% I'm able to use my arms but they are painful,aggravating and numb.my neck is causing this paralysis, if i don't have surgery most likely i lose my ability to walk completely, if i have surgery it will most likely stop this from getting worse,maybe even get better.
im not even talking about the pain that's another issue
i don't have any other option but to have surgery.
thanx
advertisement

Comments

• One of the reasons you will read many posts and articles saying to not have surgery until all other conventional methods have been tried, is because so many people look at surgery as "the magic pill". So many people with their very first round of acute back pain, instantly think surgery will fix their problem.

There are MANY BONA-FIDE reasons for having spine surgery.

Normally a person experiencing their first real round of back pain can resolve it without ever requiring surgery.

These are also the surgeris that start out as simple and wind up causing more pain than they helped. So now this person in the quest for "the magic pill" just opened Pandora's Box.

I don't know exactly what you are referring to in your post, but I'm taking a shot at it.

"C"
  • I had a fusion done on my neck, now the pain didn't go away completely because there is permanent damage but the nerve is no longer being pinched thus causing further damage. For this reason alone I am glad that I had it.
    My take on it is that surgery isn't to relieve the pain per say, it's to relieve the pressure off of the nerve so that the damage can be stopped and some healing can begin.
  • Thank-you to all,
    sometimes i cant get what i mean typed out, but you did understand what i meant.and that means alot
This discussion has been closed.