Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Packing

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Getting my bag packed for tomorrow. I am not sure what to bring. I am thinking about a tank top and pull up shorts and my crocs and of course clean underwear. Anyone else have any ideas? I will be in for 24 hours at the least. I do not have a robe so I will use theirs. I am really afraid, but as I sit here and type the pain in my left arm and shoulder are killing me. I can't wait for it to go away. The doctor said I will wear a soft collar for a while. The real scary thing is that I was a smoker and the nurse said I will have to get a bone stimulator. They use them for smokers and diabetics. You know it finally hit home about my smoking when she told me I have to wear the stimulator. Anyone else have to wear one?
advertisement

Comments

• No sorry I didnt have to wear one. Definetely bring comfortable clothes with you for the ride home. Goodluck hun and please keep us posted on how everything goes.
  • I will keep in touch, I am glad I have some where to go and have people understand me.
  • Hello,
    Good luck with your surgery tomorrow, you will be in our thoughts. As far as the bone stimulator, if it is like the one I have to wear around my neck, it is not a bad thing. I have to wear it 4 hours a day for another two months or so. Mine is magnetic and slips around my neck to promote better blood flow and I could also use it while wearing my soft collar. I needed to have one due to the two surgeries I had in 4 months. They had to remove the first plate, do more surgery and install a new plate, so they put me on a stim to help with the first fusion.

mark
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,352
    No Stimulator .... I am a smoker .... my doc doesn't beleive in them .... fused this time around in less than 4 weeks ...... JUST SAY KNOW TO CADAVER BONE >>>>> USE YOUR OWN !!!

D
    Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• WOW, you fused in 4 weeks!? That is amazing. Tonight I searched on Spine-Health for "bone stimulator" and found your post. I just got mine today. The Spinalpak 2. I am worred because I too smoke. I am 39 years old. My surgery was two weeks ago today. I had a one level ACDF on C6/C7 with PEEK Cage and they used my own bone marrow. (Was going to use cadaver bone, but my NS changed his mind when he got in there)

I am hoping and praying I will fuse. I wanted to just say that I am amazed you fused in such a short amount of time even as a smoker cause I've been reading so many bad stories about us neckies/fusion and smoking. Anyway, just wanted to post back to you.

Hope you are doing well!
    Sandra
  • toothbrush and toothpaste. cell phone (I ran my battery out gabbing/texting everyone because I couldn't sleep). I was in a hospital gown the whole stay, so I just wore the clothes home that I came in (sweats). I brought fleece socks to wear because I get cold feet, but they gave me socks with little grippy bottoms to wear.
  • I had my surgery in Aug c5/ c6, I wore the bone stimulator for 10 wks. I was so happy to stop wearing it, I had to shave my little neck hairs so it would stick. I feel great and I hope it worked. My doctor appt next doctor appt is in Feb. I came home the same day as surgery and I did not need to really pack anything. I did bring real simple clothes to put on just in case. I also smoke and when I went to my 4 wk check the doctor was surprised that I was doing so well. I have a titanium cage, 4 screws and cadaver bone. Don't get me wrong the 1st 2wks where hard when everything was waking up, but now I feel great. I still get twinges in my shoulder and in my neck a little, but if I correct my posture it helps.
advertisement