Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Newbie who could use advice!!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
About me:

I was injured in car accident in early July 2008 and since then I have experienced neck and back pain and also sciatica type to my right leg along with numbness, tingling, pins/needles and pain to both feet. The neck and back pain is improved after PT but the problems in my feet and right leg persist. I have had MRI of lumbar back which was OK and thoracic MRI showed a few bone spurs but ortho MD didn't feel this was causing my problems. The next step is lower extremity EMG and cervical MRI in two weeks if no improvement in symptoms. I have previous disc herniation at C5-C6 September 2007 which has progressed well with lots of PT. The only medicine I am taking is Daypro and occasionally Flexeril. I have been unable to work since July and I would love to just feel normal again ), I am 36 years old.

I have read a lot about Piriformis syndrome and also SI joint syndrome but there was little mention of having both extremitites affected. The numbness and tingling is definitely worse with sitting - like now and upon standing for as little as 5- 10 minutes I have pain in my feet. I get the best relief of symptoms laying flat.

I would be very appreciative of any one's thoughts on this! :H
advertisement

Comments

• many things that can cause the type of pain that you speak of. Unfortunately like many of us you may have to go through several diagnostic steps to actually get a diagnosis. Take a look at the tabs at the top of this page like conditions and treatment. There is a lot of useful information there. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
  • Sorry to hear about your problems. Have you been checked for spondylolisthesis (sp?)?

Mine was discovered from flexion/extension xrays- your symptoms sound familiar to me.

Again Welcome,

Julie
  • painintheback - Thanks I will do that.

JulieA- can they see this on an MRI or just the X-rays?
  • My spondy was not diagnosed until I had a series of plain ole x-rays. It is surprising what details are found using different tests. Let them run all the tests they have to to find out where the problem is, it may take several. I had many of the symptoms you mention due to nerve root compression. I feel for ya.
  • It's reassuring to hear from others who have been there - sometimes I wonder if I am going crazy since they can't find anything wrong. How are you doing after surgery?
  • All in all very well. I barely remember the first 2 weeks but the pain was manageable. By week 3 I was up and around walking more and started having terrible pains in the leg I thought was doing better. I didn't panic because the is a consensus that week 3 seems a bit rougher and by week 4 things calmed right back down. I am doing fine. I hit the 6 week mark tomorrow and I am up more and more doing light quick things around the house. I have caught myself twice bending down.. a big no no but it didn't hurt. I have noticed tightness in my left leg, the problem one and only do light flex and extend stretches to help loosen it up. It seems to help. I am barely taking any pain meds at all. I used to live on 800 mg of ibuprofen 3 times a day before surgery... not any more. The creepy crawly buzzing burning hot burning cold water dripping is all but gone. I'd say I have had an 85% improvement in that dept and I couldn't be happier. As it stands so far I am glad I had my surgery.

I hope you can get some relief soon!
advertisement