Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Is stress the cause of neck pain???

ellineellin Posts: 188
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Oh my just had ablation for my back 3 levels both sides doing great and my neck is killing me. Went for a massage and the lady said my goosh I have never felt a neck like yours. (how Nice) Do I dare get my Dr. to give me a script for a MRI??? I have been told that people hold stress in the neck. I have been getting this pain more and more for months and headache oh my. I have been under alot of stress but, that is my middle name for a while it seems. My dog just died have his brother all my shots for my back, nerve ablation, mamo dig. tomorrow, bone marrow biopsy Wed. this is ongoing. Most with my back but that feels good so far. Can you tell me what you would do in my case and if you think that stress is the problem in the neck. Thanks much.
advertisement

Comments

• Hi ellin, you certainly get a lot of neck pain from stress-I had it for many, many, many years.
    Likewise, my massager would say that I was too stiff to work on. Went to a pain man and he said I must learn to relax. Great.
    Mine came from my job, and I took the max daily dose of pain killers every day, for little result. Come Saturday and no work, I would get a killer weekend headache that lasted all weekend.
    Much later I learned about Mersyndol, which has a muscle relaxant-should have been taking it from the start, but no-one suggested it.
    I did the rounds of doctors, physios, chiros and massagers. Temporary relief at best.
    Didn't get better until I changed jobs!
    You may be unable to stop whatever is causing you to stress up so much, but there are some things that you can do to ease the pain.
    Hot baths, muscle relaxants, quiet time, meditation, learning how to not respond in a way that causes you tension.
    The neck and shoulders are well known as tension holders. Then when it is all inflamed, tense and sore, you try to work-often at a keyboard!! Classic tension headache coming up.
    When I was bad, I'd start at 7.30 and be too sore to work by 9.30.
    I now have arthritis in the neck and RSI in arms and shoulders, been retired 8 years. Still hurts.
    So take action now before you do irrepairable damage.
  • ask for an MRI. It certainly wouldn't hurt and you may be surprised at what shows up. I was.
  • I have been told for YEARS that I carry my stress in my neck. Even when I think I'm relaxed, I've had therapists tell me "man you have busy muscles". So, yep stress can definitely play a role.
  • Thank you all for the comments. I have lots of stress. Going for a bone marrow biopsy tomorrow and today went for a mamo and the DR came in to tell me I have a mass in my left breast. I do not know how much more I can take. #:S Well, have to do some things as you say to relax. G-D does not give me any more than I can handle right??? I sure hope so. Well, thanks again
  • I will pray for a good outcome for your bone marrow biopsy and the mass in your breast. God will watch over you, whatever the outcome. Y in C Maggie
  • Well bone biopsy was terrible and Dr. went in with a needled that looked like I inject into meats. Have Dr. appt for My neck and the lady told me that the Dr. will give me the script for the MRI So, that is good than the breast well, have an appt for the surgon on the 9th thats all 8} I need to have some good now. My mind and body only take so much. I feel like lady that the Dr's just cut and inject. Thanks to all and will keep you all in my thoughts too. Hope you all are feeling ok Blessing to you all.
  • I had a neck fusion by an incompetent idiot, and it was a total mess. This started 13 years ago after getting hurt at work. Well, even though, after the surgery, a Dr came into my room and finally did an MRI (because my arms were like two RAW nerves sticking out of my body) He said yes there is a problem, but it up to your Dr how he handles it. Well, his way to handle it was to simply pretend that I was OK. And everyone denied there was a problem until it was too late to sue the moron. Well about 4 years later and much much pain I insisted on UCSF and I actually had the head of cervical surgery as my Dr.
    Dr Phillip Weinstein, who I can highly recommend. He informed me that the fusion never took and everything was crooked and a total mess, the likes of which he had never seen before. He ended up doing an over 10 hour surgery trying to fix my neck. And when I woke up I was informed that they needed to go back in through the back in a few days OR I could wear a Halo for 6 months to a year) If I knew then what I know now...I wold have chosen the Halo. I have a big indented scar all the way down the middle of my neck and I am in CONSTANT pain. I take a LOT of medication and it works for while, but by the evening I am usually in tears. My life was literally stolen from me. I have been informed by Dr's that they no longer do the "back" procedure because of the pain it causes the rest of your life (Oh and that was another 9/10 hr surgery too.) So Please don't let anyone slice through the muscles in your neck through the back. PLEASE!!! I am now 53, can't work, have been denied disability because I was HONEST and waited and applied when I had to finally admit I was not gonna get better. Well, that was too late and I no longer had enough POINTS. Nobody has ever said I'm not disabled, I just simply don't have enough points. So that would be my other advice...always start applying for disability right away if there is a problem.
    I don't mean to scare you. I just don't EVER want anther person to end up with a life or lack of, :''( X( like mine.
    OK I have said my piece...I wish you much luck darlin!
  • My neck and shoulder muscles were extremely tight at all times prior to my surgery. At times you could see/feel my left trap muscle sticking out! I do have a very stressful job, and I also asked myself the same question.

I had an mri, went through pt, did all the conservative treatments and nothing helped. I finally had surgery.

My massage therapist tells me now (and even a month post op) that I feel like a different person. My traps are still tight but nothing near what they used to be. So yes........ My neck was causing the extreme tightness in my neck and shoulders (especially the left shoulder).
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • Stress can DEFINITLELY excaserbate your neck problems. Even a small amount can make you cringe in pain.
  • I was the classic stress pain patient while I was working. Constant sore neck, shoulders, head and lower back.
    Too tight to massage, they said.
    I have learnt now that I would have been much better had I persevered with regular remedial massages, say fortnightly, while I was working.
    I should also have learnt stress release techniques.
    Finally, the best thing that I have taken for muscle tightness is magnesium oil. Wish someone had told me about it 20 years ago!
advertisement