Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SSD

dmoonchildddmoonchild Posts: 383
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Health Insurance Issues
I applied for SSD in July as I really cant work right now. I was out in April also and tried to go back to work in jULY but I just couldnt do it. I applied on line and I am reading and was told by my attorney that I would be denied at first. The problem is is that we cant afford for me to be out of work. My health insurance ends Sept 1st 2008 and to put us on my husbands plan is outragously expensive. Can someone who applies for SSD go back to work until they are granted SSD?
advertisement

Comments

• There is a term the social security office (SSA) uses called SGA - substanital gainful employment. This what the government deems to be enough money made to get a person and their family by month to month. This amount varies and is different for each household. Determining factors are whether you are married, if you have children, how many children you have, how many live in your home, etc.

Q. Can someone work and still receive disability benefits?

A. Social Security rules make it possible for people to test their ability to work without losing their rights to cash benefits and Medicare or Medicaid. These rules are called "work incentives." The rules are different for title II and title XVI, but under both programs they may provide:

continued cash benefits;

continued help with medical bills;

help with work expenses or;

vocational training.
    For more information about work incentives, ask any Social Security Office for the publication:
    The Red Book — A Guide to Work Incentives

If you can't find that information, try this link:

http://ssa.gov/pgm/links_disability.htm

This webpage has a lot of information on it. Hope this helps you. Good luck with your claim!

Jeaux

• After a little more research, here is more information on Substantial Gainful Activity (SGA):

Presently, the SGA amount, or cutoff amount, for those who work is $940.00 per month in 2008 (before taxes). So, if a Claimant decides to work, yet earns less than this amount, they are still eligible for consideration.

Claimants who are either applying for disability or have been approved should also keep this in mind: claimants who work full time and earn the sga amount may not necessarily lose their eligibility for benefits.

Recipients are allowed to engage in what is known as a trial work period. A trial work period can last up to nine months and is exactly what its name implies; that is, an individual can attempt a return to work without invalidating their eligiblity.

Furthermore, claimants who attempt to work but, because of their conditions, cannot sustain a full 90 days on the job, can have such an attempt classified as an unsuccessful work attempt. Unsuccessful work attempts, likewise, do not invalidate a person's eligibility for benefits.

• jeauxbert, thank you for the info, very helpful. My mind spins reading all of the info about SSD. I never thought in a million years that at 40 yrs of age I would be applying for SSD. I am married with 2 beautiful children 2 & 3 yrs of age. I make over $2400/month so Im not sure I would qualify. Its just that our savings are gone and Im losing my health insurance Sept 1st. I didnt know if returming t to work would disrupt my application. If I even can go back. Im having epidural injections next week and 2 more after that if it doesnt work. I was hoping it would help the pain at least to get me back to work. We cannot survive on my husband's salary alone. How do people do it? I also have to say my caseworker is so very nice. Ive heard stories of how miserable they can be. She is always pleasant and will ing to answer my questions.