Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

After 7 years FINALLY some answers... now what do I do?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi ALL, :H

I had thought I would introduce myself as a lot of others have by telling the full story but after reading only a few "posts" I start to think maybe I'm not that bad? I will say I have lived with this pain since I was 16, I am now 23! I have tried EVERY therapy available. There is soo much more to it. I know the daily pain I have to contend with :''( but I now see there are soo many people out there who are worse off than I.
So instead of posting a whole lot of whinging I will ask for help.
Now that I have the results from MRI scan, although I don't know the medical term for my condition so am hoping someone is able to name it for me...
"The right posterior paracentral and posterolateral L5/S1 disc protrusion does cause significant compression of the right S1 nerve root within the lateral recess" - I am inclined to just say DDD?

The questions I have are:
*Is there anyone who has had quite similar diagnosis, what path did you take and the outcomes of such?
*Is this a case for a Nurosurgeon or Ortho?
*Is there evidence to suggest emotional disruption in life causes pain to increse/flare?

I await any reply. Am open to all advice. Thank-you
Carly :)))

advertisement

Comments

• Welcome to spine- health,i would think you will need to see a neuro-surgeon.here is a link http://www.spinaldisorders.com/spinal/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=63&Itemid=37
  • >:D<
    I too have an annular disc bulge at the L4/5 and small central posterior annular tear but thought the main problem is the L5/S1.
    That link was very helpful. Thanx bigcat :)))
  • Welcome Carly,

You will find a lot of information and support here. All of us find that we become anxious or overwhelmed with the day to day living with our ailments at one time or another. I'm glad that you finally have a diagnosis. Keep us updated on your progress.
    O-
  • L5/S1 is a reference to disc at that particular location in the spine. With S1 nerve root being impinged, i would think you are having leg and or buttock pain? Many here with similar diagnosis and different procedures and outcomes. Have a look around and hope you find some relief.
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i had two ruptured discs at 16 and DDD so i know what you have missed because of pain. :''( sorry to say i am now 53 and will be using a cane soon. of course we are all different and follow different paths. either doctor can confirm your diagnosis and get you started on a treatment plan or give you a referral.i prefer the orthopedic myself. i know for sure that stress can cause or increase an already existent flare up. stress is a very important variable in our daily pain. i wish you the best of luck. i hope you find a treatment to help with your pain soon! Jenny :)
  • My opinion would be to meet with both docs and go with the one that you feel more comfortable with. Of course it is always better to exhaust all conservative treatments first. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
advertisement