Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What do you do with your time?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi,

I hope that this is the right place to post this question. I am three weeks post acdf multi level. I am having a hard time with what to do..outside of tv, movies....I can read but not anything heavy, I used to do knitting but have to look down too much..so I would love to know what everyone does to keep them busy and out of trouble (it is really hard to see the house work and laundry)

thanks, PP :H
advertisement

Comments

• That is the hardest thing, still is for me, even though I am doing a lot more still can't lift or run vacuum etc. I read a lot of easy reading Mary Higgins Clark were the best for me, short chapters 2 or 3 pages so if I got sleepy I could finish the chapter and books are short. I also kept a cell phone and house phone beside me(still do when resting) and have caught up with lots of friends. Good luck with your healing!
  • 11 days post acdf
    The first few days home all I really did was sleep. Now I am having a hard time also. I get up & do as much as I can. I actually made dinner last night, with help. I am getting bored with my laptop. I love to scrapbook & am not quite ready as for the looking down part. I flip through magazines talk on the telephone. Today I'm going to see if my boys will play Monopoly with me. That should kill some time. Good luck! Let me know if you find something fun to do without getting in trouble
  • The problem is that you really should not (or cannot) do the stuff you REALLY want to do, since your body is still healing, and the parts wear down fairly quickly at first (this gets better, trust me!)...I found it very hard to read (i.e., to concentrate on books, newspapers, for any length of time) on the narcotic meds as well. Trouble for me was that I quickly lost interest in ANYTHING that I did, and life became really boring - in a sense, it somewhat lost purpose (I attribute this to the post-anesthesia "fog" as I don't feel this way any longer - but this was a weird experience).

Personally, I bought the M*A*S*H Medicine and Martinis kit, and watched nearly every season of the show.

Try to relax and enjoy the rest. The world will still be buzzing out there when you are ready to get back. :)

Mike
  • Thanks for the comments. It is good to know I'm not alone out here. I did however think after I posted it I should have added that I am thankful that I can be bored and not having additional problems.

I loved the idea of games. I might see if I can find someone who isn't at work and can come out and play! ;)

PP
  • Did you know you can play monoply on the computer and choose how many opponents you want LOL
    I decided to treat my recovery like a mini-holiday and arrange to do things that I usually dont give myself time for.
    So I have been doing craftwork, scrapbooking, jigsaw puzzles. These are for home and I have also arrange to get together with friends for coffee more often. Often I choose to meet at the park so we can go for a walk together then we have coffee (take a thermos) and a second walk after.
    I have also been going through all my recipies and putting a lot onto the computer and my favourites I have printed out and laminated. This way I wont be always looking for them.

Have you ever wanted to write a book. Now is a great chance to at least get it started or to arange all your photos form the last 20 years.
    I also make a list BEFORE I go to bed.
    Oh if you can sit then you can spend some time meditating or learning to meditate as this is great for healing especially if you can visualise.

Hope this has helped

Have fun
    Sara
  • I had some really boring/bad/mad days recently.

The house is not vacummed, and I can't do it.
    I love to scrapbook too, and I can't sit.
    My 6 y/o daughter is tired of waiting for school and is bored too.
    I'm sick of daytime tv (never liked it much anyway)
    I can't tell you how many times we've watched 'Yours Mine & Ours', 'Ice Age', 'Horse Crazy' and every other movie my daughter obsesses over.

I think I had just been holding on until my NS apt. Then after the apt. there was just nothing else on my calendar. What do I do now? Full restrictions were still in place and now I just wait for October. My attitude really took a nosedive after the apt.

Oh, and I think that now I am off the pain meds, I have to deal with all the everyday aches I used to have, the bad ankle, the TMJ - I'd had a respite and now they are back. It's good to feel the back getting better, but I think I had forgotten how annoying these little daily pains are.

Anyway, I just had to call it quits! I decided I was NOT going to allow myself to be bored anymore. I was going to make a decision to change my attitude.

So I did.

Change my attitude that is.

I like how Sara is treating it as a mini holiday. Seriously, how often do you get time off? I never get time off to do anything. And, how often do you have a bonafide excuse to not do housecleaning before you play?? Granted, I can't sit, but I can stand when I need to and I can take a walk for breaks.

I'm not sure if this deliberate attitude change is longterm yet. But I am determined to enjoy this time off work to the very last minute.
  • I think I used to try and do quizzes with my ex husband, as well as play games. I used to enjoy going out for lots of short walks too to break my day up. Now, while I'm in pain waiting for my next surgery, I have started trying to do some cross stitch stuff. It's lightweight so you can hold it up and it doesn't cause to many problems. I also spend a lot of time doing puzzle books when I can't concentrate on reading. When I able to, I make cards but that involves sitting and looking down so not easy. Jigsaw cause the same problem which is a shame because I love doing jigsaws!

I hope you manage to find something to do - and make the most of the leisure time :D
advertisement