Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Question on Selective Nerve Block

GreyEagleGGreyEagle Posts: 350
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
:))) Hi everyone!

I am having a selective nerve block of my C-6 Nerve Root this coming Friday. My Neuro Surgeon wants to make sure this is the cause of the severe pain in my left arm. He is pretty sure it is based on MRI's and CAT Scans. There is a bone spur impinging on that nerve.

What does this procedure feel like? How long do the effects last? They say I will be there a total of around 3 hours. They sedate me to a certain extent. I have to bring my MRI and CAT Scan Films. They asked me if I'm allergic to dyes they are going to inject for a Fluoroscopy. I've never had a dye injected so I couldn't say.

Anyway, any comments from those having had this are most welcome. My next appointment with my Surgeon is Sept 29th. That is the soonest they can get me in. The plans so far are for a C-3 thru C-7 discectomy.

Ken GreyEagle
Greyeagle
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Ken,
    I have gone through four sets of selective nerve blocks and they were no big deal. I did them without any sedation as well and drove myself to and from the injections. The procedure itself takes about 10 minutes for them to line up where to place the injection. As far myself i was so happy after having them done as it relieved all the pain and really felt good for several days. But when the injection wore off the pain was back. They were only done as a diagnostic test as yours are being done and not meant to be any permanent pain relief. The last one i had done didn't even want to go to bed cause i was aware the pain would come back and was really enjoying the pain free time. Usually after they do the injections they will have you keep a pain journal until you see the surgeon again. The surgeon then likes to read the journal to get a idea of what drives the pain. Good luck with the injection and keep us posted on how it goes.
  • Exactly what tamtam said. The issue with the dye is that they insert a probe into the area, stimulate it to make sure they are on target, inject dye through the probe to mark the target and then go back in and inject the anesthetic for the block. With the flouroscope they can monitor all of this to make sure they don't puncture your dura and that they know exactly what they hit for future reference. Piece of cake.
  • Well, I had my C-6 selective nerve block today. I did not need sedation. I figured since the doctor does local anesthetic at site of injection that would be fine.

The only real discomfort was when he hit a muscle going in. The results of the nerve block were almost instant relief of pain in my left arm.

The MRI's had indicated bone spur and bulging disc impinging on my C-6 nerve root. This test confirms it.

I see my surgeon again on Sept 29th. I have other discs bulging, generalized stenosis thru my cervical spine. At any rate, this was not a bad procedure. I should find out full extent of the surgery on Sept 29th.

Thanks for your input, guys!

Ken GreyEagle
    Greyeagle
  • Good luck seeing your surgeon,good too see the nerve block is over...take care
  • Hiya, I've had one of those and that was not too bad. I even had it at the same place just on the other side. Good luck!
    >:D<
  • Isn't it wonderful to be pain free for a little while at least. This will give your surgeons a more complete picture of what needs to be done. Isn't it amazing that it takes so long to get anything done. I don't understand why we have to sit around in pain. I would think that the sooner the better if surgery is needed. Too much complicated paperwork involved due to insurance companies.When I'm in pain, I don't care if all the i's are dotted and t's crossed! Good luck, and let us know how long the block gives you some relief. I'm very curious. An injection was recommended to me over a year ago, then my surgeon dropped the ball and never followed up. Now Ins Co denied me having a Lumbar MRI to see if my condition has worsened. I'm about to say screw them all, and just live withit.

Best Wishes, Maggie
advertisement