Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Leg weakness and sweating

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I am 81/2 weeks post op. While sometimes my balance seems better, my legs seems so weak. After working (I sit down all day) I come home and my legs act like jello. I can hardly fix supper without almost falling many times. Also I sweat like crazy I don't mean perspire I mean sweat dropping from my face, my neck and hair are soaked. Is this normal? And last I am have back pain below the surgery, at night I can't seem to get comfortable. I am not on any pain meds. I still walk very funny kinda like a duck with very little steps. I don't feel good about walking any distance because I am afraid I will fall even with my cane. (I only use the cane if I am walking a great distance) Oh, one more thing, I am still sleeping alot during the day when I am not working, which makes sleeping at night that much harder with the pain.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Dixie,
    I am a fellow "duck walker", I waddle and hobble , bump into things and am an accident waiting to happen in a kitchen. My unique gait is due to a lot of over compensating, my hamstrings have shortened and when tired , I slouch into my hips, to take the pressure off my lumbar. I have found it easier to sit at a 135 degree angle, rather than an upright 90 degree, I have an office chair which has a tilting seat, and find this takes a lot of the strain off the lumbar region. My legs are not as weak since I got my chair. I also have a timer which buzzes every 45 minutes, I go for a quick waddle about, when it buzzes.
    My sleeping pattern is awful and I have a wonderful husband who braves the abuse and wakes me up when I have slept 2 hours during the day.

In my opinion your body is showing you signs of pain and you need a good chat with your doctor about some pain killers which are effective for you, I take a cocktail of paracetamol and Ibuprofen, (these taken together work stronger ) I walk 20 minutes, 3 to 4 times a day and do gentle hamstring stretching exersizes( and the awful core strengthening exersizes) and waddle a little less for this. I sleep with a pillow under my knees as they still are not comfortable to lie out straight yet. The sweating I believe is a symptom of chronic pain.

You are not even 3 months post op yet, and you have been through a spine op, I am in awe that you are back at work.
    I hope you are feeling more comfortable soon.

Viking :)))
  • Wow Thanks for the reply, My NS keeps telling me this is a slow process, but I swear it seems like I am going backwards. I was at a point where I could at least stand in the shower for a min or two, now I am back to keeping the door open and holding the top just so I won't fall. I wasn't down for that long, I thought that this would be a faster process now that the pressure was off. Everyone around me says I am getting better everyday. But I still have troulbe getting up from a chair. I can barely get up if i have to get all the way down on the floor, sometimes I have crawl to something to get enough support to get up. And at my age that is not to good on the joints. I guess I am just so ready for this to go away and I know that it never will completely :SS
  • did you guys have leg weakness before surgery too? and why do you have it now?
  • no, I went through hot flashes about 4 years ago and still have one every now and then. This is different, with hot flashes I would get very hot for about two min and then it would receed. With this, it dosen't go away until I sit down in front of an air conditioner or fan. As long as I continue doing whatever it is it doesn't stop. :<
  • I just read the heading, I don't think I had any leg weakness, but I don't know for sure, I could barely walk due to balance problems, so I was using a cane.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.