Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Do I have any OPTIONS left

ToYoungforThisTToYoungforThis Posts: 150
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Chronic Pain
I have been trying to deal with the effects of DDD, DJD, SIJD, and athritis in hips and knees.

I have had 7 spine surgeries in two years and still just chronic pain everyday. I'm to a point where I can't sit, lay on back or either side, walking is painfull with so much grinding and popping.

I really need some help here there has to be something out there alternitave to more surgeries or injections. Since I am only 30 w several lumbar fusions and cervical fusion, I am in desperate need of finding different ways to deal with or even help with the pain. Not looking for a quick fix, but maybe just little things that will help getting threw the day.

Paula
advertisement

Comments

• Besides surgery there are many treatments for CP. Nothing is a cure all but you may find relief through PT, ESI, Nerve Blocks, SCS, Medications distributed differently (patch, oral, pump, etc)

Are you in pain management? or have looked into alternative therapies. I just saw someone post regarding a Theracane. I'm curious at any alternative to help release pain or prevent flare ups.

Let me know if I can help you in any way. Sometimes the best medicine for me is just someone to listen to me or crack a joke and make me laugh (even though it hurts to laugh) :)
    O-
  • Oriah,

Thank you for your reply.

I have tried PT several several time. Its sad I can't evn tolerate water therapy. I have an apt in a few days to do only therapy for SI pain with great hope that I may find some relief.
    As to pain meds I have tried alot. I understand that my condition is not going away so I take it easy on the meds. Currently I am only on 40mg of oxicodone a day its taken a long time to get that low so I am hesitant to up the meds. my kids suffer if I take more,

I have tried nerve blocks but only help for very short time.

But not sure if I know what SCS, or ESI is

Paula

• Looking at your history it sounds like mine. atleast the 2 low back surgeries close to gether. I had the exact same in feb of 2006 had emergency surgery on L5-S1 and then had anterior and posterior fusion l4-s1 in april of 2006.

Do you mind me asking what happened why did you have the 2 surgeries close together instead of have them at the same time?

Kinda nice to hear your story since it is rare to have to spine surgeries close together.

Paula
  • Hi Paula,

There are so many options out there, unfortunately we have to discover what will work for our individual needs.

ESI are Epidural Space Injections, usually a day procedure done by PM doctors. Injections of Steroids and or Pain Medications. ESI worked for some people.

SCS is a Spinal Cord Stimulator, I currently am healing from doing the actual implantation. This is a device that changes pain signals to be tolerable. The trial is done by PM doctor and if it works then surgeon does a permanent implant.

There are links on this site for more information or PM me I'll be glad to give you information I have from my experiences.

I want you to know that there are many options for us to discover. I know its hard but we have to keep trying until we find something to help give us some quality of life back.

I think I'm one of the lucky ones, SCS will certainly help my condition and when I get my SCS turned on I hope to get out of this house. LOL

O-
  • Paula,

I didn't give you a very good explanation of how the SCS works. It doesn't actually change the brain signal. I think the SCS might be an option for you to look at. PM me if you would like more detailed information or some other websites to research this.

O-
  • Hi

I have been told about prolotherapy - when they bath the nerves and deaden them. lasts for 6 weeks I am told. Because it is harsh it is not commonly done but perhaps worth remembering when hunting your "new" set of options.

You are at a new set of roads, where you are looking for a new way ahead, with different options and scenery. Don't give up you have many more roads to try!

good luck
  • Thnks for the insight. I have hear of prolotherapy and will talk to my sergeon today I have a visit for an EMG for my failed neck fusion. It so frustrating to have so many apts. but I did some research yesterday on my sergeon and he gets thumbs up. Since in my two years of surgeries I have gone threw 3 spine sergeons. and this is the 4th one. Finally I can say I have a great sergeon. I had one pass away, one moved to another state, and 1 only wanted to do 2 quick nerve surgeries and send me on my way.

Its a long walk
    Yesterday you said bout a SI belt, I'm gonna get one I think it might help, I had a bone stimulator recentally that was really big and it went over my brace in a square shape and it pressed on my low low back it did feel good so a brace might help.

Paula
  • My OLD PM doc wanted me to do this. He said the pain I was having was from torn ligaments and severe nerve damage. He said I would have to get an injection in my low back and one in my hip every 2 weeks from June until December. They were $600+ a pop. He diagnosed this torn ligament and severe nerve damage thing without doing MRI's or anything to back it up. Which made me leary. He just wanted to do the diagnostic test to see what happened and if it helped then he would keep doing it. He said it would intesify the pain for up to 72hours and expect to lay in bed for those days. He refused to give me anything for the pain except Lyrica and Ultram ER, even though as it is I cannot bend, left, twist or anything without having such intense pain that I have to "relax" for hours on end. He refused to give me anything for pain after the procedure and then I started to wonder if the ligaments were damaged at all since he did this diagnosis without the MRI. So I demanded an MRI and I took them to my NS. There were many many issues I was having with this PM doc that led me up to leaving them. Not just the prolotherapy and lack of concern when it came to my intense pain. Well I am glad that I did return to the NS because he compared the MRI I just had and last years MRI and he thinks I may have bone tumors. So I would have been in excruciating pain for at least 72 hours for no reason at all. Needless to say I didn't go throug with the Prolotherapy. OF course the reason for the prolo on me is different than yours but just beware that it will intensify the pain. My old PM said that the injections will help your body heal itself. It might be the right option for you. just keep in mind that for me it was a series of injections not one. He never said anything about it deadening the nerves. Maybe he just didn't want to inform me fully. Like I said I no longer see that PM doc anymore. But do ask your doc and see what he say's.
  • Hi Melissajo,

Good point - i had heard that they do woren b4 they better but they is a specific criteria for their use - only I can't remember what is is EXACTLY, sorry.

You know, we have to keep our wits about us, there are some crook doctors around just see a quick buck from a desparate back patient. Makes me so X(

I hope you have nothing serious, more serious anyways.
  • Thanks for your imput, 1st of all I wana say good for you sticking up for yourself and getting a new Dr.. I have had to do that also. I have read on prolotherapy and question if its what I need. I do know that I have bilateral sacrolitiis my spine sergeon confirmed this in my last operation. I am currently in the middle of a series of SI injections and trying to find if that is where my uncontrolable pain is. If It is, which could be a big chance it is there is alot of popping and grinding and I know for sure its not in my lumbar spine there is no movement there.

Prolotherapy may be my best option for right now, not only am I trying to find the pain sources but get treatment that will help save my joints for awhile. I know it is pain full and its a long procss but would be willing to do if it saves on surgeries.

Paula
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.