Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

weight gain/loss

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am curious about how many people lost or gained weight while recovering from surgery. I lost 92 lbs about 11 years ago and I have kept it off-but I fear that I am gaining weight since my surgery. I have kept the weight off by walking about 1 hour a day and eating healthy. Right now I am walking about 10 mins a day and I am eating whatever my (amazing) friends fix me and my family for supper (most of it is not at all healthy-or at least more fat/calories than I would ever eat before). I am grateful for all the help I am getting but I know I am gaining weight since I am not moving much at all! Anyone else have a similar experience? And were you able to lose the weight after recover?? I can not eat much less than I am now-I am still eating small portions (smaller portions even-since I can not eat much at one time because the brace is so tight).Thanks in advance for any tips or stories you may have.
advertisement

Comments

• This whole adventure has been a interesting ride for me. I weighed myself the day I got home from the hospital and was up 16lbs! OMG I was so surprised cause I barely ate the 5 days I was in the hospital. I realized quickly it was a combo of water weight and bowel issues. It was gone in few days. I continue to watch carefully what I eat and how my weight is doing because I can't afford gaining any weight either. It is so important to get good nutrients in so it is a delicate balance. I wish I could say I were losing but before surgery I was working full time and with my job I walked about 6 miles a day. Now I might get a mile in. lol Your activity level is so crucial hugh?

Just don't go crazy with the munchies, you lost all that weight before (Congratulations!!) You can drop the "few" you gain while recovering.

Kelly Jo
  • Thanks! I thought I'd lost weight at first-I thew up for 2 days after surgery and then I could barely eat for several days. But when I got home I weighed (with my hard shell brace) and it says I have gained about 6 lbs. I can only wear baggy clothes right now-since the brace is so big-so I can not even try on my regular clothes to see how (or if) they fit! I just had our supper delievred (people from my church have been bringing it to us)-for the 2nd night in a row we have gotten lasagne! No complaints-really! I am greatful but just a tiny piece is way more calories (points-WW) than I would spend on an entire meal. I am gonna try to not let it get to me and concentrate on getting better but..I do not want a shocker once I am able to wear regular clothes again.
  • I too am worried about weight gain. I lost 40 lbs in preparation for surgery over the last 5 months using weight watchers and swimming. So far I am about the same. Would have thought I'd lost since ate very little at hospital, but no change. I think the IV fluids along with the constipation kept the weight on. I am still about 40 lbs overweight and hope to someday get that off as well. My work friends have brought several meals as well as my family, and no one has kept calories in mind. They keep bringing desert as well. I am certainly not gonna complain, cause it has been such a big help. I am just trying to be sensible with portions and choices, let the kids have the ice cream, etc. My doc says I can go back to the pool, but I don't feel ready, especially cause I am too loopy on pain meds to drive, which he says I can do when I feel safe. So anyway, I think this is a common issue for a lot of us. Best luck to all, Sue
  • i lost 20 lbs due to the meds. i hardly walked because it was so painful for me to do so.
    i guess it would depend on the person their metabolism etc..
    some ppl gain some do not.

i would not worry to much. just continue what your doing. sounds like your doing all the right things. :)))

good luck in your recovery!!!
  • I also lost weigh before the surgery but it seems I have put it all on again since!
    Bit depressing really but I have realised that now I go the to the shops more often as I often go to the mall to walk. So I do tend to treat myself to a something here and there that I never would have before.
    SO that has to stop.
    Also I remember the dietian saying to me that Endone (same as Perocont? that you have) puts on the weight. So again I am trying not to have it unless I really need it, but I did have a lot to start with.

Oh and Cali-Sue, if you can get someone to take you to the pool you will love them forever. The water is my best friend and even if you just walk back and forward then sideways or even just hook a noodle under your arms and hang, you will feel like a new woman. It is really worth the effort.
  • Weight gain has been one of my biggest issues with my back.

I just know that in real life, the people I see that have continued success with thier backs are the ones who have kept their weight in control afterwards.

I have been watching my wgt. climb these last 2 years and I haven't been able to do anything to stop it.

I too weighed myself post op, I had lost a bit in the hospital, yeah! I was very sick in there and I had managed a good bowel movement before I came home.

Now, 4 weeks out, I keep getting lots of comments that it looks like I have lost a lot of weight - honestly, I think it's just the brace I have, it just sucks it all in and gives me major curves! LOL! But even when I take my brace off, I have a flat tummy again! Must be all those keigels, glute and stomach-sucking-in exercises :)

My NS's first comment when he saw me was to say, 'Wow, looks like you've lost a lot of weight.' Makes me smile, even if the scale doesn't show it quite as much as I would like it to.

I just have to keep it up, can't have my DH coming home from Iraq and being disappointed.
  • Thanks Angelback, I hope to get to the pool pretty soon. I am a little leary with my incision, although NS says it is safe to get in the water. As public pools go, it is probably not the most hygienic place to be, although hopefully the chlorine is killing all the cooties. I am kinda a germa-phobe, but try not to think about it. I know the water is what got me through the last 5 monts before surgery. I have a PT routine I was doing, but will probably just start with walking forwards and sideways. Sue
advertisement