Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Swollen feet

Christina69CChristina69 Posts: 534
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Anyone ever get swollen feet post op? I am 7 weeks post op and have just started noticing that if I have a big day where Im on my feet alot my feet swell up to twice the size they should be. This has happened the last three days in a row. I also have ALOT of back and hip pain on these dys as well.

CHristina :)
advertisement

Comments

• Yep, I do. I had some puffness before all this started. But now it's like a blow fish. Not only do they swell, they also thorb and hurt like you know what. I will also have alot of back pain and not hip pain but kinda like I pulled a mussel in my grion.( Which I think I did before surgery), that will flare up when my feet swell. I can't get comfortabe or it is challenging to find a good position.
  • If you have to be on your feet a lot try to keep moving as much as you can rather then standing. Even if you march on the spot at least you are keeping your circulation going.
    Is it hot where you are (I'm in winter here) but in the summer my feet normally swell if I dont move enough. The other thing you can do is try to put them up (you may need to lie down for a while).
    I used to lie backwards on my bed with my feet on the wall but I dont dare do that just yet :))(
    A foot massager (the water ones) would also be really useful. Wont help your back but it will your feet as long as you can get someone to fill and lift it for you.

If you've been standing more then usual then the back pain could simply be due to not using your core stability enough. It is easy to let those muscles swithch off after a while.

Hope all your feet are feeling better
    Sara
  • I'm almost 4 months post 2 level ALIF and I have the same thing going on, except it's just one foot/leg. And that happens to be my HOT foot. My right foot is always freezing and my left is always hot...weird. It wasn't this way before my surgery, so I'm assuming it's got something to do with nerves getting back on track.My left will swell up clear up to my knee, and is numb. My right is the leg that still hurts at night, although it doesn't hurt when I drive anymore! I don't know what's going on ! I tried resting with my feet up, felt good ,but didn't make the swelling go down. The human body is amazing , so maybe we just need to let it do it's thing. I hope you are able to get the rest you need, I'm fortunate that I'm not working right now , so I can nap if I really need to, but I would be exhausted if I had to work all day. Take care and feel better Sagehen