Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

rx refill

kimmeamkkimmeam Posts: 149
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Not sure this is the correct board, Since I am now an official "nekie", I thought I'd start here.
I am 11 days post op acdf c5/6 with all the hardware. I was rx'd oxycod 5-325mg at my discharge from hospital. Directions were 1 or 2 every 4 hours. For the first week it was 2 every 4 hours. That last 1 1'2 wait was horrible. As the time went by I was able to take just 1 every 3-4 hours. Had my 1 week p/o last Friday. Surgeon told me to call a few days before I ran out for another rx. That was Friday, not realizing it was the weekend. So now on Monday I am out. I call for rx. Nothing happened. I call today leave a voicemail for his asst. at 8:00 a.m. Still nothing. I call back at 1:30 was told it can take up to 3 days for refill. I am welcome to leave voicemail for asst. No I think 1 message should be sufficient.
What am I supposed to do? Luckily I had a few Vicodin. But it doesn't help a whole lot. What I have will be gone this evening(I have 2 more ).
Has this happened to you?
What did you do?
What do they expect me to do. I know they would be sure them or thier loved ones would have the proper medication & enough.
Sorry to vent I am very frustrated & in pain.
advertisement

Comments

• This is a pretty common theme, although waiting for three days is unacceptable. Do you have a primary care doc who can help you out? 1 1/2 weeks out of surgery is too soon to be running out of medication.
  • My surgeons office does not consider pain meds a emergency at all. His theory is if your in that much pain that you need the meds then you will not let them run out. In the office they have a clear policy about it as well. If you need a new script have to wait for it to come in the mail if you miss the refill. In the state i live the doc's can't call pain scripts in. You can try your primary but they may or may not do without talking to your surgeon. But it may get your surgeon on the ball to get the script called in. Good luck and hope you get some pain relief soon.
  • Doctors amaze me. X( I mean we as patients pay them to work and care for US!!! Let one of their friends or family members be in pain and see how quick they get their meds. I am so sorry you are having to go through this. >:D<
  • At only 11 days post op I am surprised that the doctor's office isn't more sympathetic about this. Maybe you could have someone go to his office and pick up a script. Sorry you are going through this.
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • I can not belive this! I have called 3 times today.Left 2 messages. This last time I was forced to leave a message with the appointment desk. I never in a million years would have thought I'd have to go through this. I really don't think I will continue seeking care thruogh this office. I have had a terrible day! The pain is bad enough, my boss calls & hoinds me as to when I can come back to work.
  • At 4:45 the dr. asst. finally called me back. She told me that the Dr. took care of this yesterday & was sorry that she hadn't called me before now. I have to pick the prescription up in person can not be phoned or faxed. They close at 5:00. After some stern words from me they agreed to wait until my husband could get there to pick it up.
    Thanks for letting me rant & rave. I just hope the day comes soon where I don't have to have medicine to half way function.
    I am so very disappointed with the Dr. asst. I will have to remember to tell him when I see him in 3 weeks.
  • How in the blankety blank can you forget to call a patient? X( . I mean yes I know they get busy heck we all do, but that is ridiculous!!! I'm glad you let them have what for!!!! :D. Oh CONGRATS on FINALLY getting an answer from the slow pokes!!!
  • I know exactly what you are going through! I have been going through the same thing for almost a year and it isn't getting any better. My Dr. has a policy of 48 hours notice and if you call in 48 hours early they say you are calling your script in too early! Go figure. Last time I was there I took one of their signs, to this effect, and gave it to the Dr. when he came in to see me. I don't think he liked it too much. LOL
  • I still have about 50 left out of a 75 ammount of Hydroco and three refills, that works out to about 275 pills. With the exception of my Surgeon who worked on me I have had the same dostors fpr over ten years and never had a problem with meds. However, this pain thing is new to me and I hope it ends soon.

God bless all of you who are in this position. I keep all of Spine Health's characters in all my prayers!
  • Just realized how old this post was =))

I need to get off the computer.
  • It blows my mind that a year ago I use to frown upon and look down at pill poppers and drug addicts...flash forward to 2009 and I would literally kick in a door and stick a pistol in somebodys mouth for a bottle of percocet and have not a drop of guilt nor feel no remorse in doing it..Sadly it took me a hard lesson in pain 101 to understand drug crime and the more complex problems in society. I hope this does not lead to me getting locked up this weekend...
  • Til you posted about the date i didn't realize it either.lol. Thought it was a new problem =))
  • You're kidding..right?
  • If he is not, I think he'll have issues getting pain control while behind bars. Yikes!!!

JDKE, do you have a pain management doctor who can help you with pain control? there are many things that can be done for you in conjunction with the percocet. My TENS unit is my best friend, and as you learn what triggers the worst pain flares, you will be able to cope with it better. I wish you well. Leave that pistol in your gun safe!
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • where they raided drug bins. Right JKDE?
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • sorry about my negative post a few days back...pain and low quality of life from because of my neck causes me mental illness that comes in the form of near demonic possession kinda like extreme manic depression...pain management tomorrow hopefully the doc gives me a bottle of high powerd dope like percs.. i give up im ready for surgery...
advertisement