Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Vitamin Supplements or other foods for disk health?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hello. Just wondering if and what others take to increase the longevity of their disks. I have DDD and ruptured a disk last year and of course am interested in prolonging the health of my disk and wondered if there were certain foods and vitamins that are good for disk health. Looking for information. Thank you!
advertisement

Comments

• Fresh Fruit
    Fresh Veggies
    Lots of H2O
    Zinc
    Vit C
    Vit D
    Magnezium Oxide
  • hi! flaxseed oil,chondroitin, glucosamine and msm. i take other supplements as well and cayenne to facilitate medications into the blood stream. cayenne is also good for my heart and for inflammation. i keep all of me healthy and that keeps my back in as good of shape as it can be. =D> good luck on your treatment plan. Jenny :)
  • Hey,

(DISCLAIMER: I am not a doctor and do not intend for the following information to be a remedy for anyone else--these things just help me and I'm sharing the info.)

I agree with the two responses above but I've added several other vitamins/minerals at the suggestion of Ortho and massage therapist--they seem to help--more some days than others....

I *LOVE* Quercetin/Bromelain for inflammation--I can tell physically if I don't take it. Quercetin is available naturally from onions, apple peals, etc., but not at the levels available through the supplement and bromelain is derived from pineapple. Thus, if you are allergic to any of those foods don't try this supplement. I get it at The Vitamin Shoppe. But, my chiro (when I was seeing one LONG ago recommended this and it worked). I also take an Acai supplement, and the Omega 3, 6, 9 fish oils, folic acid, betacarotene and a multivitamin once daily.

Perhaps overkill in some areas but, hey, I'm wanting to cover the bases 'cause this pain is more than I can take most days.
  • I know you are asking about disc health, but I'm inclined to raise the notion of bone health when discussing discs as the last thing anyone here needs is osteoporosis. I highly encourage a calcium supplement. (stepping off soapbox now)
    :)
  • Hi,
    They encourge people with neurapathy to take B vitimans, B6 is supposed to help with nerve healing according to what I have been told
    dc
  • calcium content plays crucial role in defining low back pain.....vitamin b6 also helps in curing low back pain....
    Daniel Manson
  • Gee, it will take you half the morning just to swallow all your pills! @)
  • My pain dr said all of the above plus 1000mg of magnesium each day for the nerve pain, oh and zinc but cant remember how much of that or why.

Plenty of glucosamine and calcium with vitamin D or the body wont absorb the calcium (calcium for the fusion and healthy vertabra to support those bad discs....

• I use Jarrow BoneUp (hope it's OK to give a product name) 3x/day w/ meals - has calcium, D3, magnesium, phosphorus, C, zinc along w/ other goodies for bones as well as a B complex 1x/day. I get both of these @ Vitamin Shoppe. Also, I'm a yogurt lover from way back, and have at least one serving a day, and have become addicted to Greek yogurt. I easily find a # of brands @ my local supermarket, you can get 0% fat that tastes like its full fat, very rich & creamy texture and somewhere in the neighborhood of 14-17 gms of protein in about 5-6 ozs. Also, lots of veggies/fruit and water since calcium can bind you.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.