Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Newbie in Pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in New Member Introductions
:H Hello all.. I'm Michelle, 39 from IL. My dx is
spondylolisthesis stage 4/5, scoliosis, and spinabifida occulta.

My spondolo is in L4&5, the spina is L3,4 &5 and the scolio has developed in the Thoratic region over the past couple years. I was dx with the spondo and spina when I was 18.

I'm in the process of researching who to go to for some relief. I"ve been to chiropractic drs for the past xxx years and this last round has about left me unable to walk.

I do ice and heat.. I live on icy hot and Avon's Celedrin pain relief cream. The effects have started to fade.. so I'm almost certain to face surgery of some sort.

I have 2 kids 9 & 11 and I homeschool, so that will be of help to have them home..

Hope to learn a few things here... Thanks.
advertisement

Comments

• welcome to spine-health...
  • There are lots of conservative treatments that you may want to try before resorting to surgery. Have you seen a pain management doc? Good luck and keep us posted.
  • Hi avon_momma08, Welcome to Spine Health. Use caution when searching for a good doctor and I believe a good doctor will never have a problem with the patient seeking a 2nd or 3rd doctors advice. I feel a good doctor will always answer your questions in a way you can understand and never be to busy to talk to you during an appointment.
    GOD BLESS TO ALL
    KC
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. what type of treatment plan are you on? any pain medications? your life can be changed around with the proper meds. what type of doctor are you seeing? good luck and i hope to see you around the forum. Jenny :)
  • Hello Avon, I too have spondylolisthesis L4-5. I was diagnosed about 2 years ago, although I have had intermittent back pain since age 17 when something snapped after i jumped off a counter. I did conservative treatment for the last 2 years, had 4 LESI's with variable relief. Water PT helped the most, but I had to have Fusion L4-5 on August 5 because my Spondy was unstable and my L4 was moving all around, so had to screw that puppy down. So far so good, still recovering, so the jury is out regarding success of my fusion. So glad you have found SH, as it is full of a wealth of information, and awesome supportive people who have been there, done that! Us chronic pain people often don't sleep well, and it is great to know the board is just a few clicks away with awesome info and support any time of the day or night. Have you been to a OS or NS yet for an opinion? Have you had any conservative treatments besides Chiro? Take care, and welcome, Sue
  • avonmomma- I am told different things but I have a condition that I think is similar. It is a tethered cord with a lipoma among a list of other things wrong. I would recommend seeing a good neuro or 2 or 3 to get conservative treatment before any surgery. I was told by my ortho dr that my condition was outside the scope of the OS and to see a NS as it is part of their expertise.

I had surgery to release the cord and to try to remove the lipoma which the NS could not remove... But I was told that I risked lower limb paralysis unless I did the surgery.. :O jade
advertisement