Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

went to see the neurosurgeon today

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
went to see the neurosurgeon today...well it seems that the exam was quick and after the doc saw that I didn't need surgery he referred me to a pain management doctor. The neurosurgeon said I have a condition called cervical HPN or a herniated disc at my c5-6 discs and recommended cervical epidural steroid injections and PT. relieved but want to know if chiropractic treatment will help with this condition.
advertisement

Comments

• Glad to hear surgery is not warranted at this time. As far as seeing a chiropractor not sure what to think about that. I personally would not see a chiropractor as afraid they would do more damage. However as in everything there are good and bad out there. I would ask the pain management doctor what their thoughts are on seeing a chiropractor. It sounds as though the surgeon is going to try conservative treatment and see if the problem will resolve and get you some relief. Usually they like to work with the epi injections and physical therapy and some meds at first. There are many that have been here and gone through the conservative route. They are no longer here as they have returned back to active busy lives. Good luck and keep us posted on how the pain management doctor works out.
  • Is this what is called the conservative treatment??..OK well then ...to be honest ...I'm a bit concerned as to what caused this ....none -the-less ..I've got it...but what does this mean...pain meds...injections...and PT...this means a lot of $$$ doc visits, time off work....my life has been interrupted...I don't feel good about that..just venting..this sort of thing can be a conduit to other issues like depression,pain med addiction...and God knows what else!!..I guess the only refuge I have is this site...thank God for YOU!!Not to mention the long doc wait..it seemed as the doc gave me the brush off after he seem that my condition didn't need surgery...don't know what to think...
  • Yes Diamond, this is what would be termed conservative treatment. Anything up to and NOT including surgery. It's wonderful that you don't need surgery. That can cause a cascade of dominos effect, messing up your spine forever. Yes, it does require physical therapy, learning correct exercises, AND DOING THEM.I always forget that part of it, LOL. Injections and medications to help reduce inflammation and pain. Hit your thumb with a hammer, it swells up, causing pain. Treat it, swelling goes down, pain stops.In theory anyway. If this is not a long standing problem, I don't think you should worry about depression, pain medication addiction, etc. Not that you don't get depressed when in pain, but not deep depression as in life-altering which happens in long term chronic conditions. Hopefully you can get some treatment, recover, and get back to enjoying your life.

I hope this made some sense to you, and relieved your mind a little. Good luck.

MaggieP
  • diamond,

I know it's a shock because you DO feel pain but please give the pain management route a try before you panic. There are many, many things that can be done to help a herniated disc besides surgery and, had I had the choice, I would have exausted all the other options first. Surgery ain't all it's cracked up to be sometimes. It's not the magic cure as you can tell by reading some of our stories.

Follow the directions of the PT doc to the letter and make sure you give it your all. For the time being this is the best way to go. Of course you have the option of getting another surgical opinion. You can always find a surgeon that's cut happy enough to operate on even the most minor problems- try to remember that!

I did do PT after my accident and it helped my 3 level herniation feel better for awhile, allowing me to put off surgery for almost 6 months. I'm grateful for that time, trust me, and wish I could have done more to put it off.

Good luck to you and keep us up to date as to what you deciede to do.

Griff
  • Hey Diamond! I'm haven't had surgery either. Sometime I get frustrated with cervical/arm/shoulder pain, and I think "heck, I want the surgery and get it over with!" When I get that way, I think about folks that have had complications from surgery, etc. I realize then that surgery may not get it over with---I may even make it harder. Griff gives some good insight. Keep in mind that some of your pain may subside with conservative treatments. Surgery should be a last resort. Consider yourself lucky at this point (if that's possible with herniations!) ;)) Good luck;keep us posted!---Mazy
advertisement