Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Basic Rights Of Pain Patients

bigcat90bbigcat90 Posts: 1,044
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Pain Management
People with chronic pain are often “people pleasers.” We find it hard to express our needs and require that others respect them. And when our needs are not met, tension is increased and our pain seems worse.

But you do have the same basic rights that you grant to others. You have the right to:

1. Act in a way that promotes dignity and self-respect.
2. Be treated with respect.
3. Make mistakes.
4. Do less than you are humanly capable of doing.
5. Change your mind.
6. Ask for what you want.
7. Take time to slow down and think before you act.
8. Ask for information.
9. Ask for help or assistance.
10. Feel good about yourself.
11. Disagree.
12. Not have to explain everything you do and think.
13. Say "no" and not feel guilty.
14. Ask why.
15. Be listened to and taken seriously when expressing your feelings.

Read and reread these rights so that you not only know them by heart, but so that they become part of your daily life.

advertisement

Comments

• :) thank you bigcat! =D> those are a good reminder of what our expectations should be. they are not always met, but we can try!! i sometimes forget that i have the same rights as everyone else. having pain can often make me feel like less of a person. not always contributing as much as i feel i should to life can increase feelings of worthlessness. i will definitely keep these in mind! Jenny :)
  • bigcat- amen to that. =D> jade
  • thank you for that, I really needed to hear that today....been really down last few days
  • appreciated those very much thank you, I am very lucky to have a great Husband who is priceless 8> and then all of you here at SH a just more frosting on my cupcake!
  • were posted on the wall at every doctor's office and ER and pain clinic. Actually, they'd be a great addition to "Intro to Medicine" for all new med studants!

I often wonder how many docs ever re-read the first line of the hippocratic oath. "First, do no harm"..........

Great post, BigCat!

Blessings and Peace, Mitzi
  • you hit the nail solid!
  • Bigcat 90,
    Respect is a two way thing and we have been given the notion that our pain can be helped and although this may well be the case for many that desire for the expected cure expands our reasoning that this is always possible.

Much angst has been developed before we see the surgeon and as you say we do have a right to have the contents of your list address when some time it is not. Most of the frustration for us is when the basics are not discussed and we feel the need to be more assertive. This can be interpreted sometimes as unrealistic expectation and an element of haste, waiting in pain while the world goes by is never easy and however proficient in accepting this difficult to do.

Pain and it’s associated progression does not come with a handbook and we can wait lengthy periods of inactivity to our cause, our appointment sometime come in the blink of an eye, and good planning and appropriate question are always relevant.

I have had the most respect for those who said they can do nothing for me, rather than chasing that illusive probably unattainable improvement that we are all looking for, even with the reduction of dwindling expectations accepting the remnants is never easy, being who you are.

We should make an online hand book at each stage and enable patients to help themselves, the mode of best practice is being developed once more, it is the best support we can offer another and Bigcats list helps us all to do that.

Take care and be kind to yourself.

John

• That post you made , Bigcat90, was exactly what I needed to hear! I am brand new to this group. I suffered 2 serious car accidents and have a whole lot of pain involved. I tried the natural approach at first with no pain meds. It is to the point that I am miserable and seriously need them. I went to a doctor who I thought would help me and he only minimized my problems and told me to take Advil for now until he schedules more tests for me. There are other problems with him too like I feel he doesn't want to listen to me and I felt like was not respectful to me since the first moment I spoke with him. I was just another patient he was trying to squeeze into his day and shoved me out the door. I have had to stand up for myself (because if i won't, who will?)today and have asked to see another doc at that practice (who has an excellent reputation). Believe it or not, I questioned if what I did was right. Along with the pain does comes feelings of worthlessness and insecurity. I used to be a much stronger person before all of the pain. What has been posted here made me see everything in a new light. I do deserve better treatment than that and so do all of you.
  • I have been dealing with spine related issues for 18 years now. The best doctors in town did not believe I had spine issues and would not even do an MRI. So, I finally got the Joke of a dr. in town to believe me. And, yes I had a ruptured disk in my thorasic area. Advil would do nothing for me. I would recommend you keep looking until you find a doctor who understands. The issue is they don't want people hooked on narcotics but there are some at lower doses that might give you some relief. My only issue is eventually we work up a tolerance to these too and they don't work. Sorry for your pain. Good luck to you!
  • Great posts.

We do need a handbook. We need realistic information and expectations. We need to be reminded that we can only do our best--and should not be expected to do more.

This is my soapbox!! Patient education is such an important piece of medical treatment. The better a patient is educated, the more successful the treatment.

As a nurse, I thought I knew what I needed, and thought my surgeon was giving me the information I needed. I was sooooooo wrong!
  • I have been in emotional upheaval and have been very hard the past few days and
    I felt my stress melt away as I read your post.

advertisement