Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ATTENTION CERVI'S~ What size Wedge pillow is good after ACDF????

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello everyone,

As some of you know I will be having surgery on September the 3rd. Two level ACDF C 4-6.

I have read many posts where people have discussed using a wedge pillow after surgery.
At this point I am thinking it might noght come in time for my arival home from surgery but you never know.

I was wondering a few things about the type, brand and size of the wedge pillow that you may have purchased.

At this time I am thinking of purchasing two wedge pillows both at the 7 inch heigth because I really would like the height to be good for a 1/2 sitting and 1/2 reclined position.
The reason I was considering two wedges was to stack them on top of eachother and also that would give me the option of having it at two different heigths. I personally think I will like the taller wedge but having two in the 7 inch heigth may be a better route to go and be good for more uses.
My Surgery date is Spet. 3rd and at this time I am not sure I can get one to arive in time for when I get home from the hospital.
So I was thinking if Bed Bath and beyond had them in stocl I could just get two at the 7 inch heigth.

Has anyone used the ones from Bed Bath and Beyond?? Did you like them?
If your pillow came from some other place could you tell me the name of the place of purchase? ALso what size wedge did you purchase and did you like the size you picked?

Please any information on the wedges would be greatly appreciated. I have done some internet research for them and i have found some I liked but that was when I got to thinking if I just purchased it at Bed Bath and Beyond I would then get two pillows and have the option of using it at two differnt heigths.

I am feeling very harried about all the small little things I need to get done before surgery. Also feeling nervous. My Mom will be here for the surgey and to take car of me afterward so that is all in order, but making sure all this little stuff is in check is becoming a bit overwhelming. I am probably making it that way because I am nervous and anxious...I can admitt that, but I just do not want to forget anything ya know.

Also any suggestions of any other things I may need to know before the ACDF please feel free to pass them along

Chrissy

advertisement

Comments

• Chrissy, I purchased my pillow from a chiropracter's office. I can't remember the brand name and there isn't a tag on it. It is taller on one end than the other with a recessed middle for my head. But actually I use several different pillows, and what works for me one night may not work the next. I also have a very soft feather pillow that is perfect to fit in the crook of my neck when laying on my side. I have a range of pillows and often will switch during the night as I toss and turn. I have heard some people say that they use a water pillow, but I haven't gotten around to purchasing one. I don't think there is any one best pillow--it is just a matter of trial and error until you find what works for you. Good luck with your surgery, and be sure to keep us posted. I'll be thinking of you.
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Hi Chrissy1311, I have not used a wedge pillow, but I am finding out that many spine health members use them. For me after surgery in the hosipal, my bed was always raised for my head to be higher than my waist. I could not lay flat because I would gurgle.

When I went home, My wife set a board on the bed and raised the upper end using pillows under the board. This board was made from a piece of plywood (approx. 24" x 42") and was covered with some outdoor carpet stapled to it (we had this board in storage for years prior to my surgery).
    My wife folded a blanket and laid it on top of the board.

I guess you could say this was a poor mans hospital bed that adjustments to the heigth were made manually. I used this board at about a 15 degree incline and without any pillow. Had I thought about what I would need after surgery, I might of found a better device to use.

I used this for 3-1/2 months wearing my hard neck brace. When I could start sleeping flat again, our standard pillows caused me much pain. My NS suggested a Temperpedic Pillow that has a curve for the neck. I purchased one and it works great for me. I take it on trips to use in motels.

Sorry I ran this post so long (it must be the meds) and I hope you find something that works for you.

GOD BLESS TO ALL
    KC
  • I think you should have several types, and heights of pillows on hand. If you are like me, you can't stay in any one position for a long time, and having several choices helps. I wrote a long dissertation about the Co-Equal Bed Lounger I bought, posted it, and it seems to have disappeared. It was a definate NO.! It was advertised as a post surgical Bed Lounge, so if you see anything with that name, run away fast. A pillow or roll of foam is also nice for under your knees. Many ACDF pts sleep in a recliner for a time after surgery. I didn't. But I did have a hard time, getting up and down in bed...just at that last second when all your muscles want to let go, really hurts. If your mom can help with that would really help you. Books on tape to listen to, a portable DVD player and movies. You will forget stuff, but no biggie. You'll be fine! Also just thought, leggings, tanks tees, slip on shoes. Easy is better I came home from hosp in sweats, slippers and tank top sans bra.straps hurt your shoulders. Sorry to ramble, Good luck.

Maggie O:)
  • Hey everyone,

I think if I am up to it later this afternoon I am going to Bed Bath and Beyond to check out the wedges they have.

This morning and the last 5 or so morning I have been waking up feeling quite poorly.
    The awful burning and numbness is relentless sometimes.

I think I may purchase two of the wedges at 7" in heigth. That way I can use them stacked or singley. I may also purchase a role of the egg shell foam stuff not sure about that yet.
    I do have a U shaped neck pillow, a memory foam pillow uncontoured that I love, and a memory foam pillow that IS contoured with the groove and hump for the neck. I like them all but I know when I have that neck collar on it is all going to be different.

So do you actually wake up from surgery with the hard collar already in place??

My Mom will be here for the surgery and then probably leave after about the 5th day post op. I am taking the one class on a Monday afternoon and will probably plan going the monday after surgery IF and only IF I am up to it. I do also have the choice of riding in the car with my Mom back to her home which is 2 1/2 hours away. I just don;t know if I will be able to ride in a car that long.

Is their anything else I should know about for when I get home?? Whoat about the type of clothes to where? The clothes need to be able to fit over the collar right? I do where a lot of tank tops and I am sure it will still be hot enough for that. I also have zip up sweat jackets ranging fro light to heavy. I have been wearing a lot of flip flops this summer and I have only a few slip on shoes so if I need more of those I may have to buy a pair. I would not want to take a bad step with the flip flops on. Mom will be here to tie shoes and I also have a neighbor that does not work outside the home is is almost 90% of the time around. Most of my neighbors are always around. I live in a beautiful condo complex with a big pond and several little smaller ponds. I even have on out my front living room window.

I am a very early riser and like to drink my coffee. Will I be able to lift a teapot with a small amount of water in it or would it be better to microwave a cup of water and do it that way? I only make coffee by pouring hot water over a small filter and let it drip into my cup, but I think the teapot with water in it will be to heavy and I don't want to have to wake my mon just to make my coffe.

For those who had this surgery what was your experience when riding in a car afterward?? I already have terribel driving and riding anxiety left over from the accident. I get very scard when I see otheres coming from the side or swerving and not paying attention. I know my BP raises a few notches to be in a car at this time.

Sorry so long! That is all the questions I have for now. If i think of any more I will post again...
    Thanks so much for all the suggestions and support.
    Chrissy
  • Funny you should mention coffee. I am a coffee drinker too. I wonder if we will have to drink our coffee with a bendy straw? LOL
  • That is sooo funny 8}

I was just thinking this morning after getting out of bed and going to the rest room and then getting down the stairs to make the coffee that I would first have to call my Mom and ask for help off the bed...then the potty....then the coffee.

Funny thing is I remember when I was little and fell off my bike and broke my Jaw. My Mom gave me a little bell to ring when I needed her because I could not open my mouth to talk very much...lololol!!
    Do you think I need the liitle bell and the bendy straw...LOL

I still need help with this wedge pillow thing.

I relly want one of these pillows and I even tried to go beack into the old archives and find the posts about it. No luck.
    I went to Bed Bath and Beyond and I liked the shape of theirs but they were made of something other than memory foam. I would like mine to be made of memory Foam.

I am totally stressing out over then darn pillow :SS :SS
    LOL
    I need to figure out what dimentions others had purchased after their surgeries.

So today because I am in so much pain from trying to run around all week and get things in order for the surgery I will be staying home all day and searching for just the right one.
    Then Hoping that it can be shipped here in time for me when I get home from the hospital.

I hope others will post and let me know soon!
    Chrissy
  • The medical supply company here in town carries the pillows. So I am waiting for my friend to come get me so we can look at them. They have 7 10 and 12 inch pillows. I think I might get the 10. I am so happy I am going to get my pillow
  • Thost3,

I do not know where you live or if you will read this before you leave to get the pillow. If you could please find out a few thing for me while your there I would greatly appreciate it.

I have already called many medical supply companies in my area with no luck. So I am wondering if you could find out if I can order one from them over the phone or internet.

The one thing that I really really want the pillow to be is "100% memory foam" At this point I do not care about the cost or the shipping because my Surgery is on September the 3rd. I anticipate a 1 but more likely 2 night stay at the hospital so that gives me two weeks for the pillow to get here.

I am also thinking a 10 inch wold be good. i think the 7 is to low and the 12-14 range it just to high. I think with a 10 you could make the necessary adjustments with you own home pillows.

Thost did you have ACDF or some other spinal surgery? If so would you like to share some of your experienc with me wither by posting here or by PM'ing me???
    In the old spine health there was a lot of discussion on these pillows but I could not find them in the archives. they may have been to far back to access. I will have to search a bit more.

My pain level is through the roof today as I have way over done it this week trying to get everythin in order for surgery. SO today I am staying home and dedicating my time to the couch and my computer to search and post here.
    I hope your outing today goes well.
    Christine
  • I live MN I called Allina Medical Equipment. The 12 inch I still need to use a pillow. I had a c5/c6 on Tuesday. If you want I can send you their phone number and maybe they send it out to you
  • Hey all,
    Thanks for the little bits of information.

I think I found one that I will like. I had my Mom go and order and I will pay her later because she already had the Pay pal # set up.

It is a set of 3 pillows.
    A wedge and a small lumabar and a small cervical.

The wedge is 9 inches tall and 30 inches long and 28 inc. wide.

It will ship and be here before surgery.

I really could have used it yesterday as I ended up in the ER with a really severe neck spasm. I have had them before and theya re pretty aweful and the trips to the darn ER cost over $1000.00 each time it happens.

Now I just am going to try and rest again today.

Chrissy
  • I'm thinking what might work in my case is a variety of sizes of pillows piled up on my bed. We don't have room for a recliner really. I'll have to see.

I see my surgeon again Sept 29th. Its looking like a 4 level acdf. My short term disability expires this coming friday. After my paycheck friday I have to wait until Nov 30th for my first Long Term Disability Check. Same insurance company thru my Employer.

Fortunately we have enough working family members in our house we can manage until that next check. I do wonder tho why they have such long waiting periods sometimes.

Anyway, I'm going to check a local medical supply Company too.

Thanks for all your input.

Ken GreyEagle
    Greyeagle
  • Hey Ken,

I get it about the money situation. I have run out of money completely! The money in my account now is basically because I had to ask the attorney for some reimbersment of some of the out of pocket expences I have had. I also ahve recieved a bit of help from my family too.

My Mom actually purchased the pillow/s for me. It was actually a set of three pillows. I think I will really like it. The wedge part is made of layers like a temperpedic mattress with the top layer being the memory foam. The other two pillows are considerd a cervical pillow and a lumbar pillow. The are simlilar to a roll with a flat bottom if that makes any sense!

I have had a bad last few days with bad aftermath pain from the spasm. I am really trying to take it easy today.

I am going to try to make it to church this morning because I feel the need to be real close to my creator right now. I even had an annointing yesterday.

I know four level ACDF must be reall scary so we should keep in contact through PM ok!!
    Chrissy
advertisement