Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

what exercise works for you

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Diet, Nutrition, Weight Loss
i was just trying to come up with some ideas that could help with are lifestyle changes, and thought id ask WHAT EXCERISE WORKS FOR YOU ?
Sometimes i get fed up with walking and become bored and demotivated,so this week i ve decided to try something different,i can t go to the gym as whaen i tried my back became more painful so i ve found excerice beds called exten thet are mechinicl beds and chairs that work with you so there is a much less chance of injury they also have a tread machine and a massage bed so im gonna join on sunday and hopefully will go a few times a week.
advertisement

Comments

• Hi benji - is swimming an option for you?
  • :) Hi! well i like to ride my bike when i can. i don't drive and it gives me alitttle bit more freedom. i live next to the beach and the bike path there is just beautiful. if you have the chance to use a gym, grab it!!! let them help you get started and i bet you will get hooked. lots of fun machines and weights as well. of course the jacuzzi afterwards is the best part! lol! Jenny :)
  • No matter when you start, exercise improves health. Even people who start exercising later in life appear to gain many of the same health benefits as people who've exercised their whole lives, according to research at Stanford University School of Medicine.

Physical activity throughout life can help protect against some cancers. For breast and prostate cancer, it may help by regulating hormone levels. For colon cancer, physical activity speeds up the digestive process, shortening the exposure of the bowel lining to harmful substances Exercise also helps reduce cancer risk by helping people maintain a healthy weight.

• Have been the rehab exercises I found on here for after my fusion.

http://www.spine-health.com/treatment/spinal-fusion/rehabilitation-following-lumbar-fusion

http://www.spine-health.com/wellness/exercise/moving-static-dynamic-exercises

I followed that routine to a "T" as they say, and well I'm doing fabulously now! I am in the "dynamic" portion at this point and have been for a while, but I still get a great workout out of it. Evey so often I increase the resistance bands, or reps etc., but as I am still just shy of 4 mo into recovery...anything with more impact than swimming, walking or biking is out! As are heavy weights which is what I had done all m life before my back injury.
  • Benji,
    The key as you say, is to keep motivated in doing regular exercise where possible, the biggest reason for people stopping doing exercise is setting off at too high a pace, this then associates exercise with more pain and we are deterred from attempting any in the future. A slower introduction will help.

Pacing is the key to find where that illusive threshold is for you and stay under those daily variants. Find what works for you, for me it has been cycling low impact and get that heart rate to its optimum performance quickly and safely.

Keep trying I applaud your effort, do it when you can, what would keep you going.

Take care and good luck.

John.

• I daily goes for running, do routine exercise or yoga sometime do aerobics also..Keep track of my calorie intake...And yes don't follow any particular diet plan but eat natural things most..
    What's yours?
  • Exercise alone is not sufficient to maintain a healthy body. I believe in combination of dieting and exercising to maintain my weight. I go jogging 4 times a week and back it up with Bistro MD diet meals. Basically it’s a low calorie, protein rich diet. Works really well for me.
  • Of course, at home exercise plan can be a disadvantage if you take a few hours of your day, but there is a way to stay in balance without being chained to a treadmill for one hour followed by an hour or lifting jogging. directed exercise only takes a few minutes, great news for people who have better things to do with your time!
  • We started off so well, come on boys and girls...

Anything is better than nothing.

take care. John
  • Angie_2009 said:
    Exercise alone is not sufficient to maintain a healthy body. I believe in combination of dieting and exercising to maintain my weight. I go jogging 4 times a week and back it up with Bistro MD diet meals. Basically it’s a low calorie, protein rich diet. Works really well for me.
    I do exercises like walking,running, and swimming on alternate days.Along with that I feel a permanent change in food selection habits is required to sustain a lower body weight.The foods I take are carbohydrates foods like beans, lentils, vegetables and whole grains that burns fat.Other foods that are rich in protein like eggs,and fish>in fruits I take lemons, oranges,guava,grapefruit,papaya,sweet lime, tangerines and tomatoes which contains fat burning properties.

URL removed by Cindy (neck of steel)
  • I was doing laps but the twisting really did bad things to my low back.

So I've switched to jogging in the pool with a jog belt for buoyancy & resistance gloves. I go backwards as well as forwards to switch it up a bit.

I also do water jumping jacks--no impact because of the float belt & really fun.

You can use a noodle, which is much cheaper than a belt & run it thru your lets, sitting on it & ride like a bicycle.

• Very low impact. I did that right after surgery. It works well. Walking and simply varying your speed. 1 minute normal then 1 minute fast. Whatever normal is for you and a little bit faster just to change your heart rate.

As John said, anything is better than nothing.

Something as simple as that and basic diet changes and drinking lots of water. It is an excellent start.

Come on folks. There really aren't very good excuses for doing nothing.
  • I hurt a lot too, but definitely keep moving. I feel even worse without enough exercise.

I'm finding that sitting working at my desk causes me a whole lot more pain than walking or water jogging.
  • I hurt a lot too, but definitely keep moving. I feel even worse without enough exercise.

I'm finding that sitting working at my desk causes me a whole lot more pain than walking or water jogging.
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    There are a lot of good ideas here. We each need to find what type of exercise will benefit us the most and put a plan together. That can be accomplished with the help of a primary care physician or a physical therapist. Diet is very important too.

I was very active and participated in several sports during my teens and into my twenties. As time went on I became less involved in sports and concentrated more on my career. Then after a few spinal surgeries I was even less physically active although through my diet I was able to keep my weight down per Dr's recommendation to have less stress on my continually deteriorating joints. But diet alone won't help.

Last summer one of my neurosurgeons got me involved in a therapy program that has totally changed my life physically & emotionally. Since then I have continued working out at a gym 5 to 6 days a week averaging 2 hours per session. I cannot say enough how much better I feel and enjoy my life. Every day is a good day, some are just better than others. I also believe family members and friends enjoy being around me more than before.

My advice is to find out what works best for you and seek advice from a professional to make sure you are healthy enough for the activity you choose.
    Best wishes to all,
    ranger

• I had a genius chriopracter who gave me these exercises and I'm back to my pre-injury weight and can move a lot better, if you have low back pain lay on the ground and lift your legs and your stomach at the same time that makes your muscles around your spine strong so they naturally support those weak areas, also for low back and hip pain which are realted, get some ankle weights about 5 lbs. to start and stand against the wall and with the leg away from the wall bend your knee and lift your hip on that side about 10x's or so then switch these are low no impact and very effective hope that helps someone
  • Exercise is the most important part to reduce fat yoga is a best exercises to lose fat.and walking is a good exercise do your exercise daily in 30 minutes. healthy diet is most important to your reduce weight.
  • I do rope jumping only 20 minutes daily. I think 20 minutes of rope jumping is equal to 2 mile walking. If you don't do any exercise then i advice you that you do this exercise hope you would feel so good.
  • Exercise is the single best thing you can do for your back. It should not be intense. Actually, the slower you take it, the better, when you are starting out.

Walking, cycling or swimming should be the foundation of your exercise. Move it or lose it is.

Then spend a few minutes 3 or 4 days a week doing some basic core strengthening exercises.

Your mindset is important. You have to tap into the enjoyment of exercise. You see those people out there walking, running, swimming, playing ball, etc? They do it because they love it. If you start slow, and celebrate your progress, you will come to love it, too.

The key is taking it slow, so that you don't hurt and discourage yourself.
  • I do believe on change in life, Repeated exercises may bore sometimes.I have planned some cardio and work out plan as well for gym work.
  • These Cardio exercise work me
    Running
    Walking
    Jogging
    Dancing
    Swimming
    Skating
    Riding a Bike
    Jumping on a Trampoline
  • I usually ride my bike in the city streets for my daily exercise dose. This works quite well in helping me to keep excess weight off. I hope others can also share their best exercise for losing weight here at http://www.spine-health.com
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.