Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Is it normal to start hurting 3 weeks after surgery?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I was wondering if it is normal to start hurting again 3 weeks out after I had gotten better. I was feeling good up until today and I don't know if this is normal but my back feels like it is on fire and I have been beat up. It hurts to even move.
advertisement

Comments

• I under stand your frustration there. I am 5 weeks post op and i felt great the first two to three weeks. now i have pain and swelling around the insision. I have the burning and stinging and all most the same pain as befor the surgery so i cant wait to see what others have to say
  • I am 3 weeks post 4 level L1 down back fusion. I was ok till this (last10) days.I have terrible leg and hip pain. Any ideas?
  • week 3 was a bit confusing for me as my pain flared up pretty bad. I didn't panic because so many people here mentioned higher pain levels right around week 3-4. I did great through week 5 but am finding new and changing pain in my hips and lower back here at the 6 week mark. I think it is just all a part of the healing process. If it gets too bad or goes on for more than a few days or if you have any other new concerns call you doctor.
    I hope y'all get to feeling better soon! Hang in there!
  • the furthur along I get post op and the more normal i feel the more things I start trying to do which in turns ends up hurting me cause i try and overdo everything. I end up in pain in the afternoon or the evening that would bring tears to my eyes.

Christina :)
  • I was doing ok unitl I went back to work. I sit most of the day and my feet and legs swell making hard to walk. I don't have much pain except when I try to do things I shouldn't or have a day where I do too much. I think I just need to exersize more but that is the catch 22, my balance is making exersizing very difficult. I am having tightness in my legs. My NS said after about another 2 weeks I should be ok and my even let me go to PT. He is not a big fan of that for me. He says whatever is coming back will come back on its own and PT won't help.
    dc
  • I am 3 weeks out as well and am feeling pretty much worse than ever.

The first couple of weeks seemed to be progressing nicely, but now I hurt almost all the time..........butt, back, leg, foot.......you name it, it hurts at some point everyday. And by nighttime, I am barely holding it together.

Sounds like it is not that uncommon. Hopefully, it is just a phase.

G
  • I think my new found driving skill is flaring me up. I had to rescue my daughter from car trouble today, and now my entire left back, hip, leg is angry :''(
  • Better get on some ice or heat and see if it will ease off. Hope it feels better.
  • Thanks Kelly Jo, I am alternating ice and heat and plan on taking a pain pill again soon. Sue
advertisement