Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

whats going on?!!! backs on fire*!!!!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in New Member Introductions
hey peeps im new here looking for answers,hope,possible treatment options...
(im 37 yrs old)
1st off im very stressed! approx 1 1/2 years ago i been getting more and more pain in my lumbar, recently pain turned to a burning! ive rolled around in the lobby of my local hospital walk in. pain gotten worse to point of losing my job :SS now i have no insurance, and im freakin out! im 7,500.00 in debt (medical) and counting, last year i had injections l4 area didnt work,recently i begged a doctor to please help me and he gave me some injections in facets and l4 l5 pain has lessoned but not gone away (throbbing ache now) better then the burning, but still doesnt feel right down there.. ive had burning down my buttoks but never in my legs??? (main place of burning is in the l4 l5 area) the dr said he "mudded the puddle" because by giving me injections both with the facets and l4 l5 we wont know whats the scource of pain... im not saying im not gratefull but im still not right and fear these injections will wear off and back to the vicious cycle :''( of rolling around in the lobby of a hospital!with another bill and no answers "fist full of pills" and a bill in the mail 2 days later! my mri showed i had a herniated bulge at the l4. thank god im getting unemployment but thats not going to last forever and nows the time to get this taken care why i have the chance

please peeps take some time to read this and please give me some insight! god bless.
advertisement

Comments

• i been on ms contin 60 mg every 12 hrs and also morphine 15 mg 3 times daily and i quit them cold turkey i had a bad bad detox! pain meds are not an option 4 me they dont agree with me and i have a past addiction to methamphetamine so any thing not over the counter scares me! my doc doesnt know yet that i quit taKING THAT CRAP, seems like he was quiek to prescribe me them but sure drags his feet on the underlying thing at hand.
  • :) hi! sorry to hear you are in severe pain. well, did you have an mri and what was your diagnosis. i have never heard of a herniated bulge? what type of doctor's have you seen? what is their given outcome for you? surely after the bills and the hospitals you must know something that is going on. if injections are your only hope they give, you need to look further. try and get some comfort here from people in pain as you are. good luck on your search! Jenny :)
  • ive had 2 mri's and it showed a l 4 disk bulge thats it or is that alot? my 1st injections i had i couldnt tell if the pain meds or the shots were helping, thats why i decided to stop the narcotics and deal with this drug free and more receptive! he said he noticed arthritis in l 4 area also possibly osteoarthritis? he told me that if its the arthritis ill never be pain free again. like i said its the burning thats unbearable! but with these new shots i had last thursday i do feel better burnings down now im feeling a throbbing ache.
  • nerves being compressed by that buldge it could be painful. But I would not think so since you do not have leg pain. Would you say that you got more relief from the facet injections than the injections in to the disc? Arthritis in the facet joints can be extremely painful and only worsen with time. If you were unemployed at the time that you went to the hospital I am sure that the hospital has a fund and will write the bills off. Do you live anywhere near a teaching hospital, medical university? You can usually recieve excellent care there and they charge according to your income. Do not be so against the drugs. It is not like you are using them to get high. It is a whole other ball game when you are using them to control pain. I have arthritis of the facet joints and need to take methadone everyday in order to have a little quality of life. Sometimes the meds are the only answer for now. Of course I have been through every procedure out there including surgery (except fusion, I refuse) and it has come down to take the meds or live in pain. You really may want to consider taking the meds until you can get a dignosis and some other form of relief. Most of us have gone through the same thing as far as diagnosis goes. There can be many things wrong with your back but finding the specific thing that is causing your pain can take alot of diagnostics and time. Meanwhile, unless you think you are at risk of abusing the meds (which my experience has been that people that like meth don't usually like pain pills), use the smallest dose possible of the meds to help control your pain. There is really no need to be in such excruciating pain when the meds are available to you. If you think the oxy is too strong maybe you could ask doc for something milder for short term use. Good luck and please keep us posted.
  • Welcome to the forum! I'm so glad that you found your way here. It wasn't very long ago that I too found myself looking for answers and stumbled onto this forum and I'm so glad that I did. You will find many interesting and helpful articles and people here.
    I'm so sorry that you are having such a tough go of it right now and I hope that the injections that you received will continue to give you relief. I think that I remember my PM doctor telling me that the injections can be used as a diagnosing tool. If they inject you in a certain area and it provides relief, but another area doesn't, it gives the doctor a better idea of what is going on.
    I think it is smart of you to not take the narcotic pain relievers if you feel that you could get into trouble with them. Being a recovering addict, you know how hard it was to come off of it and how easy it was to become addicted. Only you know what you can handle. If you haven't discussed it with your doctor, I think it would be wise to. If he finds out that you had this problem before but didn't disclose it, he may fire you as a patient. Of course this is all just advise for you to do with as you please.
    I wish you good luck as you look for answers to your pain.
  • i wasnt really worried about abusing my meds because i was into meth and like someone else mentioned most "tweekers" dont like pills, but the loopy feelin and the knowing of having to plan my life around my pill bottle cause most of us know 12-24 hrs of not have-ing or running out of the pills spells hell! and for 4 days it was kicking meth wasnt nothing like stopping the oxy's very ,very physical withdrawl!!! sick oh my god was i! should i have weaned myself off YES did i? NO but i just had enough i was looking at this big pile of pills on top of my fridge thinking this sucks... i felt like shit when i was on em anyway.. looking through hazed glasses :sick: i know i must really be hurt cause im very strong minded and i have a high tolerence for pain so for my back to hurt to the point where im in tears cant be good. i just really wish i knew for sure what it is with me.

these facet injections helped!~ but the dr gave me l4 l5 injections at the same time burning has left leaving a achy throb now. beats the hell out of the burning but obviously im not healed. will we ever? kinda scary though to live like this till i leave this rock! but ill deal with it i have 2! :SS
  • warm baths and heat to my lumbar, tiger balm. could muscular pain be agonizing? like facet pain?
  • had muscular pain that is anywhere near as bad as the facet pain. Does it hurt when you sit, stand, walk to long? Do you have a difficult time getting up from sitting or laying down? Do you sometimes walk hunched over?
    BTW- I could never take morephine either. Maybe it was not the right drugs for you. I have been on methadone for 8 months now and I never feel high or drugged. As far as my thinking goes I function pretty normally. You may really want to ask about another type of pain med, maybe long acting that you can take 1-2 a day? Once you get through the initial first few weeks there are plenty of meds that control pain and do not make you feel stoned.
  • Have you tried prescripton strenth ibuprofen? I can't take it now since i am post fusion, but prior I was taking 800mg every 8 hours, and it worked better than a lot of the narcotics I tried. It is hard on the stomach though, and i would take 4(200 mg tabs) since they disolve faster in the gut than a big old 800mg, always with food of course. Just my experience. Sue
  • nervous of the ibuprofen long term. It is actually alot more harmful to your organs than the opiates. Be patient, Vegas. You just need to find an option that makes the pain bearable for you until a dignosis and possible solution can be found. I know that is much easier said than done. Good luck and please keep us posted.
  • i had to break down and take a oxycontin,would rather have taken a few fast acting pain pills but all i had was 2 oxycontin 40's . the injections worked 4 a couple days and thats it. great the vicious cycle starts again. i have a script for morphine 15 mg (fast acting) i didnt have it filled cause i thought i could keep it drug free but after thrashing around the bed all night im mentally exhausted. im a certified welder and ive lost 2 kick ass jobs due to missed work because of this. im thinking i might have to learn a new trade thats lets physical demanding?... if you could get like a partial dysability will you then qualify for aid to give you a new carrer change beings you are no longer able to do your original career?
  • this is what my pain is like... burning in the lumbar area sometimes it grows when its really pissed! sometimes burns down into my ass cheeks not all the time but sometimes. after i got those injections i had some funny tinglin in my left arm,and tingles on my left heel.(that didnt really hurt just felt kinda strange "gone now") i have never had pain down my legs. sitting is what really hurts! when i slouch that feels good but i know that isnt what your suppossed to do. im starting to feel kinda distant now from things. dont really like leavin the house/havent called freinds,no motivation. i know i need to snap outta that cause thats not going to help (deppression) you know my family doc looks at my mri and says well chris you have a slight herniated bulge, but that shouldnt be causing you the pain like your having,the the radiologist says i have a deffinate abnormality?... when the facet injections were ordered from my family dr the radiologist said he wanted to inject the l4 l5 area also cause thats where he thinks the pain is being generated from. it worked for a few days but now seems to be wearing off,at least i know its one of the 2 areas .
  • Check into your local Office of Vocational rehab. They are helping to pay for schooling for me. I too used to have physical labor jobs till my back decided it didnt want to work right anymore.
  • brucie! appriciate the insight
  • maybe you should check with doc and ask if you are a candidate for rhizotomy (nerve burn) since you know it is one of the two places and it seems that it is more likely the facet joints. You will normally have pain in the leg also if it is disc related. The things that you are describing really lead me to believe that the pain is coming from your facet joints. When you slouch you are taking pressure off of them. I can stand at my kitchen counter and place my arms with elbows bent on counter and place my weight on bent arms and get some relief for the same reason, it takes pressure off the facet joints.
  • exactly whats going on! when i sit on the couch and slouch thats the best relief i get,even though its terrible posture.
advertisement