Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

PLEASE READ:Lumbar BMP fusion/just found out that I'm PREGNANT!!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
:))) Hey guys! I hope you'll read this and please try and help if you can. I'm so lost right now! I've had 3 spinal surgeries in the past 10 years. I'm only 21 years old, my last surgery was on April 2, 2008. The surgery was a lumbar fusion revision surgery L4-S1 using BMP (#2). The reason that I've joined this site is b/c I've been told my whole life my case is very rare, and I feel SOOOO alone right now. Well like I was saying...I went to my family doctor today to discuss my medications, no big deal, well the doctor decided to be safe he would do a routine pregnancy test (via urine)...so luckily my significant other was there with me and we are both happy and have been discussing marriage, that's not the issue. I feel a baby is a blessing from God and if he put it here that there's a reason for that. But I'm torn b/c I'm under the order of my orthosurgeon to NOT get pregnant for one year post-op b/c the possible effects on the fetus from the BMP that was used during my surgery. :T ....Yeah, so I'm quite stressed...I'm wondering if there is anyone out there that has been in a similiar situation where they got pregnant shortly after having BMP used in their spine or any area of the body really? If there's ANYBODY out there who got pregnant or is pregnant and what their stories may be? Any Advice at all would be amazzzzzing!!!! Please help!! Thanks so much!

advertisement

Comments

• Dearest Cass, I can feel your despair and I understand what you are going through, though I have not been in the same situation.
    Firstly, you need to talk to your Surgeon and find out about the BMP (bone growth hormone) and see what more information he can give you. It has been 6 months since your surgery and they may know more now then they did then.

You should also try to contact the company that makes the BMP and see how they can help you with information as well as the Doc may not be up to speed with information.

Did your local Dr do a blood test to see how far along you are?

Also this is something that you and your partner need to be doing together so please make sure he is with you at appointments etc so you can support each other. I know this is a time when you should be celebrating and it probably is hard to do that, not knowing what the future holds.

And finally- if for any reason something happens to this beautiful soul who has decided that he/she wants you as parents, then know that he/she will hang around for another opportunity.
    Sending you big gentle hugs
    Blessings Sara
  • Hi Cass,

I have not been in your situation, but I have a sense of what a difficult question you face. But before you give yourself to your worries, relax and try to get as much info as you can. Most importantly, when did you get pregnant? I assume you needed some "down-time" after surgery, so conception must have occured between the time when you resumed normal sexual activities and say up to two weeks ago, that being about 4 months after surgery. Once you establish the time of conception, then you have a more solid ground to make your inquiries, from your PCP, gynecologist, surgeon and the BMP company. Maybe things are better than you fear. But it is very important to discuss you additional medications as well.

I have seen similar postings to yours on the old forum, so maybe someone with experience will also reply.

Meanwhile, be positive, hopefully everything will turn out just fine. Please keep us posted.

Best wishes for a happy outcome.

Kin
  • Hi Cass,

Welcome to Spine Health! I wish your first post wasn't with such a sense of urgency and emotion, but you know what, I don't think there's a single person that has joined Spine Health who wasn't in the middle of a personal crisis at the time. (Of course related to our health.)

Wow, it's one of those times where you want to celebrate, but you're scared to death someone's going to hear and call the cops (remember when you were a kid). Well just know that there's a lot of people here that will support you NO MATTER WHAT!!! We are real good at laughing together, crying together and just sitting and staring out at space together. Not to mention we are pretty darn good at problem solving together.

So far some really good questions have been asked, that are meant to assist you in working towards an answer. I'm a firm believer in the power of the pen and paper. I write things down so I can take a better look at them and see things that I might otherwise have missed. Big difference between that and trying to work it out in my head or on the computer.

For the record I've not been in your situation and have no experience with BMP. I do however understand feeling good after having had the spine repaired and wanting to make up for lost time. I also understand that it's hard to take seriously something that you can't touch, taste, see or feel as may have been the case for you with the BMP. I'm just guessing there, but it's a scenario that does happen in our lives everyday, just with different things.

The one thing that stands out most in my mind in your situation, is that at some point you will need to contact your surgeon. If I were in your surgeon's shoes, the sooner you approached me, the better. I would see dragging your feet on it as a lack of good faith. Plus it may be that the surgeon's butt is on the line too! So show some respect or courtesy for the trust the surgeon placed in you and contact him.

Please don't be discouraged in posting, due to differing opinions you may get from the members. Most members are very civil and all are very caring. We just all have our unique ways of showing it sometimes. Of course PM's are always an option, however public posting gives you the chance to get a greater amount of feedback and maybe find that person or persons who have been in a same or similar situation.

Hang in there.

"C"
  • Ahhhh Cas86 you wrote this:

I feel a baby is a blessing from God and if he put it here that there's a reason for that.

Remember he is the only one with the letters GOD he is the only....faith journeys are tough to walk through. Have faith and read your statement over and over again.

Hugs and chin up
    Stef
  • Congratulations on the pregnancy , ALL children are a blessing. While I have not been in the position you are in , I have been in a bad one all the same. Over 12 years ago , I was diagnosed with cervical cancer....my husband and I already had a beautiful baby girl but we were trying for another child. I was told that I probably would not conceive and even if I did that I would never be able to carry the child to term....2 weeks later we found out we were pregnant. The doctor's response was for me to have an abortion but my husband and I agreed that if God had blessed us with our child that He would also take care of our child. I had a very difficult pregnancy , I would constantly go into premature labor , be rushed to the hospital to stop it , to give our child as much time in the womb as possible. He ended up coming early anyway , during labor , his heart stopped beating and everything seemed to just go wrong , I finally delivered him and waited to hear his cry....it was the most beautiful sound to have ever touched my ears. His lungs and liver were not fully formed , he was this little tiny baby that looked so frail and so helpless , I was terrified but full of hope. The doctors said that he would always be sickly , if he even made it to the age of 2 and that he would never run and play like other kids becuase he would be too frail. The first year of his life was a hard one , in and out of the hospital but I am happy to say that now it is all different. Our son is 12 years old , he took over 5 years of martial arts to become a First Degree Black Belt in Tang Soo Do , the school's best student , he skateboards , rides bikes and yes , he runs and plays like any other 12 year old would.

Now , I do not tell you all of this to sway you one way or the other , to give you false or real hope , all I really want you to know is that this is your life and you and your SO have some decisions to make but they are your decisions and no one else's to make. Will you face a tough road? Maybe but I promise that I will be here for you every step of the way and I know that there are others here that will be here for you also. Life has dealt you a not so good hand but you are stronger than you know and when you feel that strength run out then you are always welcome to use some of mine. Please keep us posted as to how you are doing and if I can ever be of any help to you at all or if you just want to talk then please PM me and I promise that I will always respond. Take care my friend , Miki
  • Just wanted to send you big gentle hugs.

Life sure sends us curveballs doesn't it. !??

Can't add much to the other's words of wisdom already written here...just get all the info you can from all the medical experts you can as quickly as you can; information is power.

God Bless!

Deb (mattsmom)
  • On the news! I am awaiting my first grandson at the end of September and am very happy for you. Maybe the timing was not the best but please try and take 1 day at a time. I agree with all of the others, get all of the info that you can as quickly as you can. Maybe there is some way to counteract the BMP? You really need to get all of the facts before you worry yourself to death. Stress is no good for you or the baby right now so as hard as it is please try and stay as calm as possible. Try not to worry at least until you know for sure that you have something to worry about. You will be in my thoughts and please post back and let us know how everything is going even if you just need to talk, we will be here for you.
  • I want to apologize to you publicly for anything that I may have said to you that hurt your feelings about your pregnancy earlier on. I do hope that you have a healthy baby boy/girl and he/she fills your life with an unlimited amount of happiness.

God Bless,

Christina :)
  • Christina , what an awesome thing to do....thank you for that... :)))

Cass , sweetie , how are you doing? Can you check in with us to let us know how you are????
advertisement