Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Went OK today but tomarrow is big.

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Chronic Pain
Went today to the 21 and under place unfortunely i was the only one under 21 everyone else 40-80years old. He didnt know how to read my mri so he read off what was wrong gave me lyrcia i think. But my pharmacist couldnt fill this without the doctors notification, she said she could replace it with noratin not sure on spelling. Pharmacist she said he gave you this off the bat. Tomarrow i go see another Dr. I am gonna express and open up with everything if he can improve my quality of life it would be just simply simply B E A U TIFUL. I need to start living my life i forgot what its like to laugh without hurting or cough or sneeze without hurting. I have got to get help for my chonic diseases and my CHRONIC PAIN.
advertisement

Comments

• This Pain Sucks, you guys have been amazing for helping me understand what i am doing and how i was so wrong before. To call in and ask for hydro 5/500s because the yellow ones were messing with my stomach and i discontinued them. I just got the cortozone shot so i was in pain. But you guys made me realize i just gotta be more patient and think about what i am doing before i do it. For some of you dealing with pain over 5-10 years your amazing. Keep up the good work i hope life it as good AS I CAN BE. Half my pain gone for a month would be absolute heavon.
  • I am really sorry for you because you are dealing with docs predjudice aginst young people thinking that you just want drugs. In reality when you can show them that there is a reason for your pain you should be treated differently. Paul has made a very intelligent suggestion because drug seekers (especially young ones) usually look like drug seekers and you want to set yourself apart from them. Also the eye contact makes you seem trustworthy so these were all great suggestions by paul. Good luck and let us know how it goes tomorrow.
  • how many dr's have you seen? what is under 21? once again you state all drs treat you bad. paul has a good point about dr's thinking people are drug seekers. be careful because the doctors have a system where they know who is visiting what doctors and how many and what they are being prescribed. if a dr suspects one of doctor shopping they can look up one's medicine, who prescribed it and how much one is getting. not to be negative but your drs might suspect you of this. this might be why they give you a bad time. not all doctors can be bad. paul gave you some good ideas about how to act and look. my pain dr tells me stories of checking patients out if he suspects them of dr shopping and he drops them asap and lets them go through withdrawl symptoms. he can be legally liable also if the dea suspects him of carrying a patient. be careful. just a word of caution. dr shopping is against the law. one has to be very careful. a lot of people have given you good advice
    jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • My doctor i had, had left his practice and he is from india,and he was the most kind doctor i ever had,i dont like your statment in which you are racist,i dont judge doctors by the color of there skin,i really disagree with your state ment.....i am sorry i cant be supportive of you when you make a statement like that....
  • Hmm... :? I really truly do not know how to respond to Chronic's last post, but I simply cannot ignore it... /:)

My PM doctor is Arab and I haven't had a single problem with him. I trust him 100%, just as he trusts me. I've never given him any reason not to trust me (because there IS no reason not to) and most certainly never will.

"Bad" Doctors come in all colors, shapes and sizes-as do "Good" ones! :B

Good luck in your search for a Doctor that will help you.
  • I'm SO glad I'm not the only one that was offended by Chronic's last statement! I made myself calm down a few mins before responding because I was on the verge of ripping a new "orifice".... X( ....and I don't like to be that way.

If there's anything I can't tolerate it's racism! It ranks high up on my list of absolute no-no's... [(

(How ya doin' BigCat?? It's been a long time! :) )
  • it is not only the racism but the idea of the posts that i find offensive. imho, chronic is a dr shopper and the dr's sense this and that is why they give him or her a bad time. all of her posts have been on the weird side . i don't understand what the point is or what she wants. her way of stating things is not clear. i am also glad that others find chronic's posts on the weird side. most drs i know have been kind and understanding. chronic feels that all drs are out to get her and all give her a bad time. just my 2 cents on this topic. if i am wrong so be it. but, it will take a lot of explaining to change my mind. i also have had drs of different ethnicities and find all or most of them kind and understanding. some have bad bedside manners but their hearts are in the right place
    peace and pain free for all >:D<
    jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • NOT trying to start anything, here. I think I missed a post or 2 for chronic pain. Especially the ones that were considered racist. Were these flagged as offensive, and thereby removed?

Is that what happens to the offensive posts?

Again, not trying to start anything, I am just curious (and curiously confused)....

Also, Paul - the suggestion to go in like it's a job interview.... that was brilliant! At my first 2 pain management appointments, I felt too bad to be 'presentable'. But, definitely brilliant advice!

Thanks!

Jeaux
  • I'm not taking any sides but Its not easy being young with spine diseases. Chronic pain takes yur life away and to much Narcotics will ruin your life also. I have been in this situation for 2 1/2 long long years.

What other meds are you taking besides pain killers

lyrica is a few years on the market its almost the same as neurotin this is a good call by your Dr. for starters. For its a nerve med that needs to build up in your system. Nerve pain sucks but this med will help with pain alot. what about nsaids, are you on any type of anti flamatory a consistant dose of this will help also.

If you have questions or want information on my past experiences or ways to cope with the pain you may PM me and I will try to help as much as I can. Your not alone

Paula
  • I am with you. I must have missed that post also. Must have been flagged and removed. I guess if we would have had a chance to read what he wrote we would be more in the loop.
    Everyone else
    I too see his posts as odd. And if he is talking to the Dr's the way he is typing things then I am SURE they are getting a red flag! It is all too weird. :?
  • ChronicPain20

I am sorry you are in pain but the more I think bout it you are going about the situation wrong. you can't go to Dr. to Dr. screaming in pain, they won't do nothing.

I feel as if you should be going threw your primary and take the steps to getting the right treatment.
    Having different Dr.s give you meds is only gona get you in trouble then you will be flagged as abusing the meds.

Just to let you know in June 2008 the gov't put in a new web site that any Dr can pull up and see what scripts you have filled when where who wrote them and how you paid for them.

Your best bet is to find a good primary have them fill all your scripts and the other Dr.s be treating you and only fill scripts from surgery, if you do this then your Dr. can all communicate and when a PM Dr. is involved then your more likely to get the management you need. The only reason I say this cause you are young and spine and PM aand neuro, and ect.. those Dr.s come and go you have will be in the same boat again.

And if you would like you could read bout my condition I posted it under, the silent disease my story, Just to give you a little insight on other situations.
  • narcotics do not ruin your life. you are absolutely wrong here and you are buying into the propaganda put out by the media. my pain dr stated that there is absolutely no evidence that shows that narcotics are harmful. if you are under a dr's care and don't use them to get high, they can be lifesavers which most of us here will testify to. without them i could not work or function at all. i have no side effects at all, being taking them for years. i can work drive and function in a normal way. i do not take them to get high. so please don't buy into the crap that the media wants you to believe. drs prescribe them for a reason and if you use them the way you are supposed to then no problem. remember, research has proven that long term useage is not harmful. if you need to go off then most drs will wean you off or you can have rapid detox
    please get your facts straight and don't use hysteria for logic
    jon
  • Terror you once again made another good statement. The only things that I have heard about the narcotics being bad are people who misuse and overuse! Also I hear more about the Tylenol being hard on your body and never hear about the nacotics being as bad as the tylenol.
    So the only way that narcotic pain medication can ruin your life, in my totally honest opinion, are the following ways:
    1)taking them without an RX for yourself from your doc
    2)Obtaining them illegally
    3) not taking as prescribed
    4)Over using
    5) Mis-using
    6)Getting many narcotic type meds from different doctors
    7) and last but of course not least would be the Tylenol that is in most of them.
  • Hey everyone thanks you your replies means a lot to me. I finally found a doc yesterday. WENT AWESOME he knows i am in pain he knows i am in so much pain. He was very night and knows i am chronic pain he has had 2 surgeries himself and he knows mine is very serious. He helped me with little different muscle relaxer i have heard of. He gave me medicine to sleep so i am now sleeping 6-7 hours which is incredicle. He wants me to come back in two weeks and see how i am doing. He is the first doctor that listened and helped me to much i am still in a lot of pain but i am much more posative now he has my on the right track. He said he was gonna have to give me something stronger if this doesnt work because i cant be feeling like this. Thanks everyone for being there for me... THANK YOU
  • That's great! I am glad you finally found someone who will listen to you and take you seriously.

I had a similar problem when I first started this journey. I was being treated by a rheumatologist for an auto-immune disorder and he wanted to attribute my neck/back pain to that. He wouldn't even consider xrays. THEN, had the nerve to tell me I was depressed. I told him I was not depressed, I was frustrated.

I finally went to another doctor who diagnosed my many spine problems and pointed me in the right direction. When he realized this would be a long-term issue, he referred me to pain management so I could get the tender loving care I need. I was lucky to have found that doctor and my pain management doctor. The rheumatologist? Fired.... [(

Well, congratulations again. Hope things go well for you.

Jeaux
  • Wow everyone i didnt realize i offended people i am sorry, I wasnt trying to be offensive. In MY OWN PERSONAL OPINION ever kind of arab doctor i have had has givin me a hard time except for 1 he was very kind, nice and understanding. The other ones i meet for the first time grabed my bottle of vicoden threw it right in the trash in front of me and said 19 years old is way to young to have narcotics no matter what the pain. So i was just defending myself for how i was treated. What you guys are missing here i think is this whole problem i have had has litterally ruined my life. Cant go out, cant drive a car, cant play sports, i use to to bowling, baseball, basketball, football, horseshoes, you name it i was a B+ Student. You guys are misunderstanding me, i am just so desperate to know what it feels like to be loved and to laugh and to not be in pain. And if they will not to the surgery due to scar tissue what would you guys do in my shoes if you were in so much pain, you couldnt hang out with your friends or family because your hurting so bad, you feel like youve lost your life and are just completely misserable due to the pain. You guys have been here and in your mind WHAT IS GUARENTEED TO HELP YOU BE MORE ACTIVE AND HELP WITH PAIN. If they say your to young for surgery. I am just trying to get my life back on track. I am sorry if i offended anyone, wasnt my intention, to anyone on here.
  • it is not the racist statement for me so much as your lack of communication skills. your typing skills and spelling are in need of major improvement and as a result no one understands you. you sound like you are impaired. try to spell and use correct grammar. this will make it easier for the rest of us. but the real problem i have with you is you still sound like a drug seeker to me and your continual statements that ALL DOCTORS DON'T LIKE YOU ,THROW THINGS AWAY, MAKE RUDE COMMENTS etc is code for me that you do dr shop. if ALL dcts do this then you do something to make them mad. i believe they think you want drugs due to your continual harping of intolerable pain can't sleep, showing a new doctor vicodin. why would you show him your meds? this will put up a red flag. your attitude about drs puts up red flags. i have mentioned this again and again, but you still do it. most drs will show disprespect to you only if they think you are conning them. we all have the same problems as you and some of us for years. we have to work and raise families etc so you are not the only one in bad shape. so if you do dr shop get a grip and get some help. if you do have horrible pain see one dr, be honest, have all the tests you can and do what they say. don't go to er's other drs complaining about horrible pain.
    jon
  • I'm confused about you. Twice you have posted within minutes of each other and always on the first post you make no sense, then on the second post you do make sense. I don't want to offend but its almost like you are 2 different people.
  • Who is trying to be someone that they are not.
  • I'm talking about chronic pain.

Look at his posts. They are done within minutes of each other and the first posts don't make a lot of sense then he posts again and he makes sense.
  • I agree, i haven't been able to understand a lot of his posts. I also don't see him answering quite of the questions asked of him, which could help him in getting his issues addressed.
  • I should pm you but its like he is messed up in his fist posts then minutes later he is straight again. Kind of odd. Look at the times between posts they are really close.
  • i still don't know if chronic is a boy or girl yet. what is he/she? does anyone feel that he is using this site for a reason other than finding a doctor. in his/her other post he/she posted pictures of mris. there were not names, dates, times etc on the film. it looked kind of weird to me. also am i the only one who feel that he/she is dr shopping? if he talks like he types, no wonder the drs give him/her a bad time. i cannot understand the posts. i am a special education engliish teacher and i am used to readinng badly written works but chronic's is full of typos and misspelled words. syntax is bad also. what really gives with you chronic? are you one or two people, boy or girl, drug seeker or person in pain, misunderstood by dr's or ticking them off? does anyone know what he/she really wants. i am so confuuuuuused. pleeze help
    jon ~X(
    to the rest of you have a pain free and happy life
    jon again
  • I'm really confused too. None of it seems to make sense. Chronic why dodn't you answer the questions people ask if you actually want help?

Off topic, but what is Dr shopping?
  • Doctor shopping refers to the practice of a patient requesting care from multiple physicians, often simultaneously, without making efforts to coordinate care or informing the physicians of the multiple caregivers. This usually stems from a patient's addiction to, or reliance on, certain prescription drugs or other medical treatment. Usually a patient will be treated by their normal physician and be prescribed a drug that is necessary for the legitimate treatment of their current medical condition. Once that condition has been successfully treated, however, most conscientious physicians will not continue to provide their patients with the medications that they were taking, unless dependence has occurred. Patients who are abusing their medications will then actively seek out other physicians to obtain more of the same medication, often by faking or exaggerating the extent of their true condition, in order to feed their addiction to that drug. Verified reports include practices where patients self-injure or mutilate themselves, such as breaking or chipping teeth to visit emergency rooms complaining of toothaches to receive prescription painkillers.

Not all patients seeking inappropriate multiple prescriptions of drugs are doing so because of addiction or an intention to abuse the drugs for their recreational effects. Increasing scrutiny of prescribing practices and high-profile prosecutions of doctors[1] for allegedly over-prescribing drugs such as opiate painkillers and benzodiazepine tranquilizers has made many doctors extremely reluctant to prescribe large doses or repeat prescriptions of these drugs, even to patients with a legitimate medical need. Some consider the high-profile case of Richard Paey an example of such.

• Doctor shopping is going from doctor to doctor to get drugs. Basically when one doctor figures out you are just wanting the drug to get high he stops prescibing and then you would move on to another doctor. Pretty hard to do these days I would imagine.
  • pardon my ignorance, but who is richard paey?
    jon
  • Thanks for clearing that up for me. I can understand where terror is coming from. There have been a few posts that don't make sense. Eg, in my chronic pain he talks about being on different types of drugs, but wants an ER. Later he says that Dr's don't give him narcotics because of his age. I don't understand, hoe did he get them in the first place if no one gives him painkillers?
  • Also, what happened to the loss of bladder and bowel control? You think that would of come up in the two Dr's appointments.
  • Just in case this is a real person in real pain and having real problems, I'd hate to drive them away from the one source of help that they have been able to get...

and that's us

I too spoke out in frustration and in disbelief, however I would not feel well if I was part of allowing members of Spine Health drive someone away.

"C"
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.