Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

IN PAIN - 17 months Post-op from ALIF Surgery - HELP!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everyone, I had ALIF surgery in March 2007. I had alot of setbacks (blood clots, pneumonia, blood transfusion, Fentyl poisoning, incisional hernia and some other fun things) but finally was pain free, fused and was able to move forward with life with my family. Until now.

The pain has returned. I have the same back pain and sciatic pain down my leg as before surgery. I went back to work as a Home Health Aide (giving the sick and elderly baths, help with showers and personal care) 4 months ago and this pain started 2 months ago. I am really scared that something has happened inside.

Has anyone else experienced pain like this after surgery that was over a year ago? Any thoughts/suggestions? The pain is so bad that I am back on pain killers, muscle relaxers and laying flat on a heating pad as soon as I get home from work. I feel like I did before surgery and with everything that I had go wrong the 1st time, needless to say, I am freaked! :''( I do have an appt with my surgeon at the end of the month but if anyone could share their thoughts it would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you! :S
advertisement

Comments

• Gosh I am so sorry you are having problems again now.

I have to say that I wouldn't be keen on your line of work (I used to be a nurse so I understand). There is so much bending involved and what if one of your clients started to fall, you would automatically try to catch them.

I really think you have been doing too much and need a break. Regardless of that I would make an appointment for a check up - just to be sure, and get a scan done before you go.

Hoping things improve

Blessings Sara
  • Hockey Mom -

I'm glad to see you're back but I sure do wish it were for another reason. I hope you get some relief soon.

Terri
  • It's good you've got an apt.

Can you pinpoint any one thing that started this new bout of pain?

I also think getting a scan done prior to the apt. may speed things up a bit and be rather helpful for your dr.
  • I think this pain came into paly after going back to work. I am a CNA/Home Health Aide which means I help people who are very sick or recovering from surgeries with their personal care. I do alot of bending a driving in a car so i think after doing that for 2 months my back decided enough was enough. Just not too sure what the damage is yet. Until Thursday I will live on Norco and Flexeril with ice and heat and hope for the best. There's not much more I can do til then.

thanks for everyones replies! it helps having people understand a little.
  • I am guessing that with all you do, you have caused inflammation in the area again. I would say to try ice and take muscle relaxors if you still have them. If possible maybe take a couple of days off of work to ve your back a break. Follow up with your NS is important.
    Best of luck and keep us all posted.
  • Hockey Mom -

I'm hoping just a few days of rest and some ice fix the issue for you.

Terri
advertisement