Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Date set but now waiting....

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Lower Back Pain
Date has been set for September 15 for the spinal fusion, now just waiting for workers comp to approve it for it to be final. Now, My NS wanted to try the second opinion Dr's recommendation for light duties at work, not lifting anymore than 10 pounds etc but here's what I don't understand, why go back to work if surgery is less than a month away? I really don't mind going back because I'm going crazy sitting in My house all the time but I already know i"m going to feel it in My back If I stand and do mechanical motions for anything over an hour.
advertisement

Comments

• Did you question the doc about this? Maybe you should let him know that you do not feel capable of even light duty? Maybe he thinks he is doing you a favor $ wise?
  • I'll call the neurologists office tomorrow and see what kind of limitations like number of work shifts a week and how many hours a day. I already know the pain will get worse with mechanical movement for extended periods of time, so i need to know what to do if it gets bad at work, do I call her and tell her?
  • I don't understand why they would want to take a chance of increasing your pain when surgery is so close. If you really feel that will be the case, I would let her know now and maybe ask what she is hoping to accomplish by sending you back light duty. That just makes no sense to me.
  • I would be very leary about them wanting you to work after surgery scheduled. My concern would be them coming back to say "oh look he can work there isnt anything wrong he doesnt need surgery". Talk to your dr, find out the reason for wanting you to work. But I know for me, I couldn't.
  • I can do somethings at work, since Im a cook but it would only involve prepping food in the morning and not working the line since I would have to do all the mechanical movements that will cause the pain to get higher. I've already made it clear that any sort of physical activity makes the pain worse. They didn't put a RTW date on the work status either, so I have to call the NS and make sure they know what I can and cannot do, plus I need to know so I can talk to My general manager. I really don't see the point in returning to work with just a little over 3 weeks. Trust Me, when the pain starts to increase, I'll be notifying any managers on duty and also My NS, I'm not going to let them say "oh look he's working so he doesn't need surgery". Plus I'm waiting on workers comp to approve it, if they don't I'll have to get the lawyer, and My chiropractor gave Me the number to one of the best WC lawyers in Louisiana. The second opinion doctor said in His report that He would be reluctant to do surgery because of My age, for Me, that's not a good enough reason. How old do I have to be? What I got out of that is He would do it if I was older, that's all I need to know. I'm 29 years old and I'm limited in what I can do, do I have to be 40 or 50 to get it? I think My age will help Me recover faster.
  • Being young will help you recover quicker. Before I came home yesterday from the hospital I talked to some people in there who were older who had back surgery and they were in for almost a week. I went home after two days. Ya just gotta be careful not to push yourself.
  • Hi J,
    I can sympathize & relate to your predicament. Although my present problems with my back are not work related, I have dealt with wc before, and they are a B*#ch to deal with. In my opnion, there is a couple of reasons, (at least) for doing this. First is the one already mentioned above, and secondly is financial, and third, is related to the company and their wc incident statistics. As you mentioned you've already considered contacting a lawyer, which in my opinion is a good thing, as you need someone on your side to help you fight this. As far as I know most of them won't require any money up front, they will deal with it afterwards. Most companies want you in there working cuz then it doesn't show so bad on their lost time incidents, that's a big thing to them, and secondly it is cheaper to have you working even if it is few hours a week, cuz then they won't have to pay you wc. I wish you luck in dealing with this and getting better.
    Glor
  • Well yesterday morning I went to PT and they put Me on a new traction table that they just got. About midway through it I felt 3 pops in My lower back where its herniated but it didnt hurt, so I didnt make anything of it. After I got home, I went outside on the patio and noticed that My left foot kept bending inward kinda from the ankle. It was also kinda numb and alot of tingling in my left foot and legs. Could the traction have caused this, like the 3 pops I felt?
  • It could have,traction pushes and then it pulls,i have had it before,i had to stop because it caused me more pain,did you tell your pt or doctor what happened?
  • Yes, I left a message with her secretary earlier today. She was in surgery when I called.
  • I called My NS office and asked em if I could go back to work after the surgery and they said yes, whew =D> now just gotta wait :W and see if the peer review conversation between My NS and the WC doctor (I think).....wish Me luck
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.