Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

problem with pain drs

terror8396tterror8396 Posts: 1,832
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Chronic Pain
i am glad i am going back to work,teaching, tomorrow. i've been posting too much-ha ha. well back to semi serious. another thing i have noticed lately is the number of people who complain about their pain doctors and how they are treated. it seems to this humble poster that it is quite a lot lately. i for one have for the most part never had a problem with pain dr's. my first one retired, 10 years, the second one i did not like they were not very compassionate and the last-one and one half years. for the most all were compassionate and did not accuse me of drug addiction or i did not get the feeling that i was not liked. remember these guys have the hardest job in medicine. people demanding narcotics, being lied to, exaggerations, and the worse not bringing in test results to show them. if you have mris cat scan etc one needs to bring in all tests and reports, drs are not going to make a diagnosis on the spot and prescribe drugs because you feel you want them. there is a systematic proceedure that one has to go through before meds are given. rarely will they give you meds at the first visit. i had to go through a whole routine before given meds, mri discography, nerve test cat scan x=rays blood tests office visits etc. so are some of you paranoid because you think they don't like you? you have to work with them. don't go in and say i can only take narcotics because i am allergic to naisd's etc. red flags. if they give you nerve pills it might be they don't write scripts for narcotics or they might suspect you of wanting drugs. some won't give out narcotics at all
pain free and happy lives for all
give the guys a break
jon >:D<
I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
advertisement

Comments

• Amen Jon. Too often we forget that even tho sometimes it may not feel like it at the time, Doctors are humans too! Just as with all people, there are good Doc's and bad Doc's. The same can be said for Dentists, firefighters, mechanics, parents, teachers....and we shouldn't get tunnel vision and lump ALL PM Doc's together just because we might have had a bad experience with one.

We all have the same goal....to get better and to be pain free or at least have our pain decrease to a level of more "normal" functioning. We need to remember to work with our doc's in order to achieve this goal. Doctor's aren't mind readers....like Jon said, show them the test results, imaging, etc. so that they can help us and for the most part, they WILL help. And if you do get a 'bad doc', then by all means, find another! We all deserve to be treated with respect, but keep in mind-so do Doctors.

Take care of you....
  • and that being said I think that they are quite capable of being in it for the $ and having no compassion at all. I think that even if they start out really wanting to help people in pain they can over time become calous from being lied to and start to think that most are just addicts. I also have had very good luck with PM. I have had the same one for over 4 years. I have heard him talking to the nurses in the hallway about so and so that just left just being a drug seeker on many occassions. But, I have always followed his instructions to the letter and actually was resistant to the meds at first so I have never had any problem getting the meds that I need. Actually, since he is about 1 hour drive for me, he is nice enough to write the script for more than I actually take so that I do not have to go so often. I still think that there may be lots of folks that he is labeling that do not deserve it.
  • would like to hear some personal stories from PM docs, nurses or someone who has worked in a PM office. There is a site where pharmacists post. THAT was an eye-opener.
  • i have sat in offices and listened to patients complain to drs out in the open in front of everyone. they want more meds what they have does not help etc etc. they have not shame trying to get meds. once a woman in a wheel chair came in without appt and wanted to see dr. she told staff he once gave her something that began with oxy and she wanted more. remember she walked in and demanded meds. also people in office all seem to talk about what they are taking and how much then they ask you what you take. with all of this going on in the office, no matter pain drs think that a lot of people just want drugs. this is the reason my old paid dr retiired. he moved to lake tahoe to get away from this silliness and the patients followed him. he did not give out drugs haphazzard but he was tired of all of the crap. this is why they don't believe people or are suspicious
    jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • Absolutely Jon! I agree with you.

But...

The same can be said for police officers-in fact, my dad is a retired policeman from a high crime city. After 20 years he cant help but believe that most people of a certain color are "bad" just because that was 95% of who he arrested for doing bad things. It doesn't mean that all people of that color are bad-but in his eyes it sure looks that way! Does it make it right? Does it make it wrong? Pain Doc's have the same dilemma, and you're all right-we all see it every time we go in for our own appts. There's always people that want these meds for reasons OTHER than pain...but that's not fair to those of us that need them, is it? Of course not...but what can WE do about it? We can be honest, and hope that our Doc's don't ever lump us into that same group of people.

Isn't it sad how things have gotten over the years? What scares me is wondering how much worse things will be 5, 10, 25+ years from now-not only for us, but for our kids and grandkids. Scary.... :S

• a comment was said the pain drs are capable of getting in it for the money and having no compassion after being lied to over time. to become a pain dr most start out as anethesists(sp?) my ortho said he would never become one and it is the hardest job in medicine. anesth. have he highest rate of complaints and of malpractice that other drs. their insurance rates are also high. i don't think this is a field that people would get into even if they were lied to and made a lot of money. you have to go to classes and are constantly monitored by the dea. my pain dr told me a story about having to go to a a class because some paperwork was missing from a patients's folder. in fact less and less people are going into this field due to malpractice and harrassment by dea. this excludes also the fact that they are lied to and complained to by their patients in order to get drugs. i can think of a different medical field that would be less hastle and more money. it is like teaching. it is always easier to blame the teacher instead of the student or his/her parents for bad grades and behavior problems. one needs to be compassionate in both fields or it will not be worth the hastles or money.
    i infact respect pain drs eventhough i disagree with what they say or do to some patients
    jon
  • I have to say that I have been referred to a great pain doctor who really cares about where I am. I had been seeing another one for about 6 years and all she offered me were trigger point injections and non-narcotic pain meds. They helped some, but as the years went on and the pain got worse, it was the same old thing. She isn't even the one who suggested I have an MRI when I started having numbness in my hands and pain radiating down my arms. My Primary is the one who said "we've got a problem here". The neurosurgeon who did my ACDF referred me to a pain doctor who is fairly young and I really like him. He is not opposed to narcotics, but at the same time wants to be careful in how we use them. He is talking about doing some type of a bone scan to see if I've got some facet joint issues (which he strongly suspects) and doing injections. I'm holding off on those, but will most likely give in. I agree with the folks who are saying, it is your body and you alone know what you feel like. If your doctor isn't listening, it's time to gind another one.

• The pain doctors in my area, which are very few are just injection factories.My PCP who knows how bad my reaction to steroids was during my gout attack could not get himself to unleash me on them, thankfully.I have done physical therapy, massage, ice packs, and hope to try acupuncture in the coming months.
    I do get meds thankfully from him, but it will only be Norco and no muscle relaxers or LA meds.I am grateful, but I feel that other therapies may help too and wish that injections were not the first line around here.To make matters worse, I still feel something "bigger" is going on and feel under treated at times.
  • I agree with everyone here, everyone has there own eperiences with there own doctors. Some truely do care some just do it for the money. I have most recently after 8 months found another great great doctor who listens. Its very hard, but in my opinion i would find i doctor who has had back problems and surgeries like mine so they know what pain is like and what helps it when muscle relaxers, and surgery isnt the question due to age.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,717
    I have read so many posts talking about horror stories with their pain management doctors and then I have read so many that have been totally happy.
    I am one that has been totally happy. My pain management doctor (who we really call a Psychiatrist here, we dont have many pain mgt doctors and the ones we do really just do ESIs and other surgical like procedures.)

One thing that I have seen is that people are looking for their pain mgt doctor to write scripts for all different types of medications. This one didnt work, so give me another one, this one isnt strong enough, give me something stronger.

From the time I first met my doctor (over 2 1/2 years ago) we have had a super and trusting relationship. She understands my condition and she makes sure that I have had all the proper diagnostic tests, have regular blood work done and we talk about my pain medications each visit. She insists on seeing me every 4 weeks, which I enjoy and she calls me at least twice in between. She knows that I was trying so hard to eliminate the oxycontin from my routine and together we were able to do that. But thats the way I look at this, we work together. And I would have to say in over 35 years in dealing with various medical professionals, I have found that establishing an open and trusting relationship is so very important

Working with doctors and other medical professionals is a two way street. We have our expectations and they have theirs. Hopefully those meet and when they dont both sides owe it to try to work things out.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • i agree 100%. having an open and trusting relationship is the best way. don't go in demanding drugs because others don't work. i have had some issues with mine but overall i am also happy. he likes it because i don't demand, i work, i go in and make it a postitive experience and not be overly demanding and dramatic. i talk about personal things also. i found out that his son died a few years ago and it made him sad to talk about it. this type of relationship goes a long way. i thing the problem with the number of posts of bad experiences is the way people go in to the office and what they expect from their dr. i also see him every month or two

jon
  • Is it OK to "interview" a PM? I've been in need of one for awhile now but have heard the horror stories. Is it an acceptable practice to visit with a few and then make a decision? Jon, I liked the fact that you can talk on a personal level with your PM. We do forget that doctors have personal lives and they are very much human with tragedies that occur. I would love to find a doctor who is personable. Many ,I find, are so busy that they do not have time to talk in the office.
  • i believe they would not have a problem with that. go in with a list of questions and tell them you are trying to find a dr whom both of you can respect each other. don't harp on the subject of pain meds because this will be an automatic turn off. they will think that all you are interested in are pain meds. that is part of the equation but if he brings it up be honest of what you take or have taken and what is the most effective
    good luck

jon
  • Thanks for the advice Jon!
  • I've met with and remained with my PM in Nov07.It just 'happened' that we hit it off and also happened that I was going through something very emotional and painful in my life that he had just been through himself...the exact same thing and the exact same way! We talked about that a lot and I'm totally sure that it helped secure a bond with us.He still asks me about it each time he comes in the room when I visit his office and it's good to know that he remembers.

I did sign a contract with my PM Dr-and I signed it with the nurse,before I met with the Dr...but in my defense,this was my first time in PM and I had no idea that I had a choice.

I sometimes wonder what it would be like if we had not hit it off so well.I don't like going to Dr appts.,let alone change Drs.,so I know I lucked out.I've also been with the same PCP for 6.5 years.I may have said 8 in another post somewhere...lol,but I didn't change my PCP when I moved here until early 2002.I get along really great with her too.

Another thing I want to hit on,it may be off topic,but it has to do with your pain Dr-last week when I went in I told him about my appt. with my OS and I asked him "do I have to tell him that I come here or what-I mean do I have to put my life story out there?" and he said "no,no need to tell another Dr that you see me,just don't accept pain medication from another Dr."
    Well-when I was talking to the OS,we were discussing the pain in my shoulder,neck,etc.,it just kinda came out and I told him that 'well,I don't need anything for pain,my pain is being managed by Dr so & so,my PM Dr." :/
    So,for all of my private ways my mouth opened and my foot entered of it's own free will.

Getting on good footing though with your Drs and keeping your PM Dr notified of everything going on with your medical care will help lead to a mutual respect and trust.My PM Dr recently changed my appts. from every month to every 8 weeks.The staff is really very nice too,and after reading some of the stories on other threads I feel very fortunate.
    Just thought I would share my own. ;)

• this is how people retain good pain dr's. i believe that all the people who complain about their drs and how they are mistreated probably have this problem due to how they approach their drs and the subject of pain meds. if you give impression that all you are interested in aare pain meds, drs will become defensive. don't go in with this attitude. be positive and maintain a strong venier about yourself and you will probably be treated in a more positive manner. if you go in the office overly complaining, drs might treat you differently that if you go in with the attitude of yes i am in pain but it will not control my life
    just mho

jon
    I never mean any dis-respect when I take this approach with medical professionals, no matter who they are
    They could be a Physical Therapist, a Pain Management Doctor, a Neurosurgeon, etc, doesnt matter.
    Years ago, I would just take what was dished out and given to me.. But many thanks to my wife, who has been a Respiratory Therapist for 30 years, a Registered Nurse for over 15 and now running a Pulmonary Rehab center, that doctors, medical personnel, etc are no different than anyone else. Treat them with respect but at the same time make sure that the same respect is returned. At first I didnt do that, but for over 20 years now, I have treated all my medical professionals as I would anyone else.

There was an old saying: They still have to put on their pants one leg at a time

I give respect to my medical professionals and I get that in return. So, yes, Interviewing them to make sure that they are someone YOU want to manage your problems is your decision
  • I can guaranty you that is the ONLY reason why my PM see's me! I have to see him every single month, I walk into his personal office, barely sit down, he writes the prescription, and I'm on my way. It takes les than 3 or 4 minutes tops! During the occasional time that he is out of twon and cannot see me in person, he charges me $35.00 just for his office to write out the script. What little I have been allowed to speak, has only been when I was obscenely honest with this man. I actually pointed out some mistakes he kept making by giving me too many pills per scrip. I could have got away with it very easily, but I told him instead. Believe me, this man is in it for the money!
  • Not every person that has a bad relationship with their PM or complains about their PM can be streotyped like you have. Sometimes it's actually the DOCTOR that is just bad. I have never demanded pain med's, I have never given my PM a hard time, I have never done anything. You're putting all of us in the same stereotype that you are defending the doctors over.

I and my health insurance are paying my PM for services that are NOT rendered. I have been with this PM for 3 full years at least and not once has he even given me an exam. I haven't even had my blood pressure taken. The few and far between times when I'm allowed to speak while I'm there, I'm the one that brings up alternative method's for pain control. It has never been him! All I get is either insults, cruel comments, or suggestions such as "Get a dog from the pound, that will make you feel better". I have a cat, I'm not in the market for a dog!

I happened to have a wonderful relationship with my PM before my current doc, but he moved across the country. He actually took an interest in my health and actually did exams, tests, etc.. I would appreciate it if you weren't so inclusive concerning patients who don't care for their PM's. Its not always what you think.
  • if he is so bad , why have you been with him for 3 years? why not get a new one? i don't understand the complaining about drs and people seem to stick with them. if he gave me this problem, i would find another one asap. why deal with pain physically and emotionally? i'm sure there are referral services in your area. i don't understand if he has not rendered full services and insurance continues to pay once again why not find a new one?
    jon
  • I have said this so many times, he is the ONLY one in town. I will have to go to either Phoenix or San Diego to get another one. Until I can find a way to get there every month, I am stuck. My husband works away from home for months at the time and can't always be available. That's why!
  • I understand he is the only PM doctor in your area, but what does this PM doctor do for you that you keep going back to him?
  • He is the only doctor in town that will write the prescription for my med's. I got the phone book out lastnight because some of the people on this board gave me some good ideas, and I wanted to find a Rheumotologist. Well, there is only one rheumy in town also! As it happens, I don't like this particular doctor. Since I don't want to have to get into that whole story again, suffice it to say that I have a very good reason. He also happens to be partners with my PM. My next move is to look for a rheumy in a town about 65 miles away. I still have to worry about falling asleep at the wheel trying to drive that far, but what choice do I have? What I find hard to believe is I live in a large town/small city and there is only 1 rheumy for everyone? It's insane!
  • i had to drive from san jose to truckee which is over 200 miles to see mine. he moved so myself and a lot of others drove the distance to see him. if this guy is the only one in town then for personnal comfort and good health i would driive the extra distance to see a good one. there are no other towns near yours? unless you live in the desert most towns have other towns near them and they have hospitals with a referral staff. have you asked around and asked other dr's? oh buy the way , have you asked yourself why he treats you so badly? i don't understand that he does not let you talk or does not do tests. i am sure it is not a one way street. there must be a reason why he acts this way towards you.

jon
  • Do you want your family on the same highway as me when I fall sleep while driving? xxxxxxxxx? And BTW, I haven't done one damn thing to this man to make him treat me this way! I happened to have a great (3 year)relationship with my prior PM before he moved across the country. It's not always a two way street. Sometimes some doctors are just xxxxx!

Edited by Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health Administrator 09/01/08 Reason: Violation of Forum Rules
  • you are exactly right,some doctors are just as you said!
    I have worked side by side many a doctors, and it is true that some doctors are just mean, rude, and some are even stupid and have no business being in the field they are in.
    Nobody jump down my throat for saying this, its true
    i have seen the calmest, nicest patient come in to a doctors office and be treated like dirt from the doc. (and i read the same report on the patient as the doc has)all this i have seen was way before i ever was a patient on a regular bases myself,
    most doctors are good,caring and compassionate and believe me i have worked side by side both, and usually there is no in between either they care and give a hoot or they just dont.

Edited by Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health Administrator 09/02/08
    Reason: Violation of Forum Rules
  • Thank you for the validation! I happen to know for a fcat that I have done nothing wrong. Even my PM that I was with before him warned me about this doc. He hated him with a passion. He also told me that my current PM had lost his hospital priv's. I have no idea why, maybe it's his bedside manner? He's actually a NNeurologist and a Psychiatrist, you know what they say about Pyschiatrist? They're crazier than the patients that they see. My last PM was very apologetic because he knew I was going to be stuck with this guy. Many of his other patients were able to travel to the city to get a new one. I can't, at least for right now. I'll send you a pm soon, I need to rest now. My computer has been acting up and it's driving me crazy.
    Take care,
    Jewels
  • sorry for using the s word guys,
    Patsy, thank you for understanding. I realize that every once in a while we can all get caught up in the midst of things. Its hard many times not to always express what we feel at the moment. Gosh knows how many times I had to stop my fingers from typing what I was thinking.

Your post just now shows everyone just what a good and honest person that you are. Thank you, your contributions to Spine-Health have always been appreciated
  • And I'll say it again. If and when you find a PM Doc that you like, all you have to do is be honest with them. If you're honest with them, they will take care of you. In your case Jewels, after reading all of that, I think that you need another Dr. Check out D.O.s, Anesthesiologists, Rheumatologists, Orthos, etc. if there aren't any Pain Management Doctors in your area per say. It's all in a title. Different Dr.s are capable of doing so many different things for you so you don't necessarily have to find a PM Doctor. Just be honest with whom ever you do find. But you already knew that didn't you?
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.