Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How much time do you spend each day doing PT- female problem

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Exercise and Rehab
I've been doing about 1 1/2 hours of PT at home every day. That includes walking for a half hour or a mile whichever comes first depending on how fast I walk and exercise ball and band. I've been waking outside but I've had to stop doing that because I keep getting a yeast infection. So I started using my treadmill so I am cooler.

I've used Monistat 7 twice now so that's 14 days of that and today I just got a Diflucan from the doctor. I'm afraid that all of this working out and sweating is causing problems and I'll have to cut back until it gets cooler outside. I wanted to join a gym and lift weights also but this constant problem that keeps coming back is preventing me from doing that. Has anyone else had this problem from working out and sweating? I've never had this problem before where it keeps coming back but I've also never worked out for an hour and a half every day. Usually in the past it's been 3x a week. I want to be able to work out every day but these yeast infections constantly are really ruining that. So frustrating. X(
advertisement

Comments

• :) hi! are you wearing cotton undies? have you tried changing them more often and using pads? :W i change after my walk because i get so hot and sweaty but i have never had your problem. good luck and keep us informed. Jenny :)
  • As Lulu said, the first step is cotton underwear. The next step is to get away from wearing things like yoga pants and wear loose fitting jogging shorts. DO NOT wear the jogging shorts that have the liner! If you go to the gym, take a shower and change clothes as soon as you're done. If you are at home, do the same. Whatever you do, don't stay in the clothes long enough to allow them to dry. Another thing is to make sure and keep things trimmed short. Don't have to shave, but trimmed is a must. No powder ... it will give the yeast a place to "hang on to" and hose you again.

"C"
  • Thank you for all of the great ideas.

I have been doing all of that plus more. I shower right after I exercise and even use a blow dryer down there on a cool setting to make sure it's all good and dry. That info came from my doctors office years ago. Then I put dry cotton underwear on. I've been wearing loose shorts also. It does take me an hour and a half to walk and do my ball and band exercises. Maybe that's just too long to be sweating. I guess I'll see how the diflucan works and if I can keep doing my routine.

There have been times when I'll get all done working out and then later that evening go for a long walk outside or a bike ride and it's been so hot and I get sweaty again. I always blow dry after that and put on dry cotton undies again. It did come back after my last bike ride outside in the heat. I never had this problem last year though. I could ride my bike outside for two hours and come home and shower and not get the dreaded yeast. I'll just see how it goes with the diflucan. I have a doctors appointment with my gyno and I think I'll keep it even if I get better so he can check to make sure it's not something else. I did have a hysterectomy 5 months ago. I bet that has something to do with it also. It just sucks because I have been fine until I started doing physical therapy and it's been a constant problem since then. :''(

• Have you by chance had any change in your diet?
  • Well since my disc herniated again I have been avoiding processed sugar and eating a lot of fruits and veggies. I was thinking today maybe all of the bananas and tomatoes and oranges/orange juice I have been eating are causing problems. I've been trying to avoid foods that cause inflammation and I do notice a difference in pain when I avoid processed sugar but maybe too much fruit could be causing a problem?
  • :) what about your thyroid? it is a long shot but something i might ask for. you are doing everything right. =D> the best of luck to you. i would hate for you to have to change your exercise routine. Jenny :)
  • One thing that will hose you is sugar, whether processed or not. Higher concentrations of sugar in urine, give yeast something to feast upon.

Fruit and orange juice are full of sugar.

Hmm... I wonder if this could be contributing.

"C"
  • This may not have anything to do with it. Do you have a partner? In some cases males can carry the infection with no symptoms, and keep passing it back to the female. It's really simple to treat the male if this is the case.
  • That's a good idea too I'll have to check into my thyroid. My hair has been falling out more then normal too but that's been going on for a few years. I should have that checked.

It really could be all of the fruit. The first thing I have when I get up is a banana with some tea and I work out. Bananas have the highest sugar of any fruit don't they. Then in the evening I snack on homemade tomato salsa or peach salsa and oranges. I'm going to stop with all of the fruit and see if that helps. Today I had eggs and whole grain toast for breakfast. I take a multi vitamin so I should be OK with cutting out fruit for a little while. It's probably OK to have some but I've been eating more then fruit then I ever really have.

I've thought about if my husband could be passing it right back to me. What's the treatment for a guy?
  • Today I went and bought two skirts. Sort of a sweat pant material. I got them at the sporting goods store. I'm not normally into skirts but I need the air flow. I figure cotton underwear and a skirt would keep things dryer. Still waiting for the diflucan to start working though. It's been 2 days. The nurse told me to call if it doesn't get better in 5 days.
  • When it worked for me it usually took about 3 days to start making much of a difference.
  • Do/can you eat yogurt? Make sure it has live active cultures and it will help with that problem. I hope you can get it taken care of it's no fun.
  • I've started taking acidophilus capsules several times a day. Things are improving but I'm still having symptoms. I've started exercising again but only in my house where I can stay cooler. I just walked on the treadmill for 15 minutes in my basement and stayed cool. I'm going to walk some more later tonight after the sun goes down. I also started doing my ball and band exercises at night when it's cool and I space them out so I don't get hot.

Sucks though I'd like to just do them all at once and get it over with. Maybe once I get this problem under control I will be able to work out once a day all at once. Just no more walks outside in the heat. I might go out walking tonight when it gets cool outside. At least down to 70 degrees. I tell ya I am looking forward to fall and cool weather.

I'm going to keep my doctors appointment with my gyno to have them do some tests. I'm also having problems with feeling like I have to pee constantly. My appointment is a week away though.
  • If it gets bad, don't wait until your appt to get help. If you are developing a UTI on top of everything, then you definitely need some assistance.

So the Diflucan did absolutely nothing?
  • The Diflucan is helping but I can still feel it is there but not near as bad. I'm thinking I should go to Urgent care tomorrow or call my GP to see if they can see me in the next couple days. I'll decide tomorrow by how I am feeling.
  • Well I have an appointment tomorrow at 2:40 with a PA. At least she can run some tests to see what's going on. It's not the same clinic I normally go to and I've never seen this person before but at least I can get in and they can do some tests. When they do a test for a UTI do I have to hold my urine for a certain amount of time before? I bought some of those AZO UTI test strips and it says to hold it for 4 hours which was impossible. So the test probably wasn't accurate.
  • your sugar intake should not be causing a problem if your body can use it normally. do you have urinary frequency, a thirst for water? the reason i say this is usually the only time you excrete sugar in your urine is when you are diabetic and your kidneys excrete the excess sugar in a hope to stabilise your blood sugar levels??? just a thought, dont mean to freak you out,
  • As far as holding it, it has never been an issue for me when being tested for a UTI. I'm really glad that you got the appointment!

"C"
  • Don't worry you didn't freak me out. I had all of my blood tests before my hysterectomy and I don't have diabetes. My blood sugar levels were really good. I'm not really thirsty. I just feel like I have to pee a lot though.

It's probably all of the sweating from PT. It wouldn't be the first time sweating in the summer has caused a yeast infection. It's been a few years though.

Well the tests didn't show anything wrong. She did notice the yeast infection type discharge so she prescribed two more diflucan pills. She said usually she prescribes two of them as it can take two to completely get rid of the infection. The test didn't show a yeast problem though. My symptoms did improve some so hopefully this will do the trick. Then they are also doing a urine culture and I'll find out the results on that Friday.
  • They called me with the results today and I do not have a bladder infection. I'm still having some burning feeling. The thing that is bothering me the most is feeling like I have to urinate all of the time. My PT was telling me that a pinched nerve can cause that. The plan is to go to my gyno next week and give him my symptoms and see what he says. Then if they rule out everything I'm going to see my spine surgeon again and see if it could be that causing the urinating problem. I may even go to my GP if this keeps up and have her do some tests to make sure my kidneys are OK and test for diabetes specifically. I can't stand this peeing all of the time. I hardly sleep at night. I'm up constantly.

My PT said there are exercises specifically for this. I could be having a problem with a weak pelvic floor muscle from my back injury. She would refer me to a place that specializes in this if I want.
  • Just an update. I'm doing well the yeast beast is gone. I don't have any symptoms anymore. The Diflucan did the trick. I'm also back to doing my physical therapy exercises at home every day for about an hour and a half including walking for a half hour. I just get up and do it all at once and shower and be done with sweating for the day. Sometimes I go for a walk outside later in the evening if it's cool outside which it has cooled down nicely here now.
  • mchell

That's great news. Much better news than having to deal with a pinched nerve or something like that. Will the doc prescribe you enough Diflucan to have on hand or will they only do it if you test positive?

"C"
  • My doctor gave me 4 more diflucan to be taken once a month for the next 4 months so I'll be covered for a while then. He said to take it right before my monthly cycle each month. Then by the time I'm done with doing that I'll be going in for my yearly exam. That should do the trick. I sorta wish I could just save the diflucan for if I get one again since it feels like it's completely gone but he wants me to take one a month so that's what I'll do.
  • Yeah you need to treat you and your partner at the same time!
advertisement