Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

methocarbamol 750 mg

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Pain Medications
My doc has prescribed this for me. Does anyone else use or has previously used this muscle relaxer? I guess my one concern is that the directional use is 1-2 tablets 3x's a day. However the pharmacist said this a strong drug and should not be used while caring for another person. Haha I'm a stay at home mom so 3x's a day won't work (at least during weekdays)if it's that potent. I guess I'm just looking for others experiences with this. Thanks in advance. :)))
advertisement

Comments

• It is the generic for Robaxin. It is a pretty potent med but everyone reacts differently to meds. My suggestion would be to try taking 1 before bed and see how that effects you and go from there. If it ends up being too potent than maybe give the doc a call and ask for something else. They do work well for muscle spasms and they may make you a little sleepy. Good luck and keep us posted.
  • I usually try and take any meds that may make me sleepy around 7 PM. That way I can sleep most of the side effects off before morning.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,706
    I used to take that medication and in the same dosage.
    When I first started it, I wasnt drowsy, but I wasnt a sharp tack. After several years using that , I found that its effectivness worn off. But then again I believe after prolonged periods of time, most medicines in their present dosages seem to wear off.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • was horrible for sleeping! :jawdrop: I tossed and turned, had repetitive strange dreams, really didn't feel like I went into a sound sleep at all. Even though I felt exhausted each time I woke up, I was so restless. I read that insomnia is a side effect and am trying to see if Ambien is compatible with it.
    Dilauro, did you have issues with sleep at all in the beginning?
    I have had problems sleeping for years. Combination of medications and pain and discomfort levels.
    I have used both Rhobaxin and Ambien at night. But before you try that, discuss this with your doctor.
  • I just called them awhile ago and asked. She gave me the greenlight for the Ambien. It just seems weird taking a strong muscle relaxer and then needing a sleeping pill on top of it.
  • I have take 750mgs of robaxin 4 times a time for a long time,i dont get sleepy at all from them...
  • For me, taking Robaxin is like taking a sugar pill.

• Robaxin just like any other drug takes some time to get adjusted to. Give it a couple of weeks and the strange dreams and insomnia may subside. It actually works very well for my muscle spasms. I still take it now and then. I switch between Robaxin and Soma. Good luck and keep us posted on how you are doing.
    If it continues to keep you awake maybe you should take more of it in the am and avoid bedtime.
  • that it's been a HUGE help for me. However as I understand it, they do nothing for muscles themselves but block the brains reception of pain and tightness (I'm sure there's a better way of saying that to where it makes better sense =)) ). For now though I really don't care as I've finally gotten relief and boy, do I feel it when the meds wear off. :W
  • IM A MOTHER OF 4,I TAKE IT 3 TIMES A DAY,I THINK HES EXAGERATING A BIT 8> THE ONLY THING I GET FROM IT IS IT RELAxes MY TIGHT BACKMUSCLES...GOOD LUCK ;)
  • Hi...I was recently in excruciating pain (unable to walk) out of the blue and was prescribed Flexaril after being diagnosed with Sciatica at my local ER.

L1 & L2 herniated disc with mild Degenerative Disc Disease. I'm 50 year old female who has always been physically active. I have husband and elementary school age child and HS age child still at home to care for.

Flexaril did not touch the severe cramping in my right leg. Saw my GP (who is referring me to Ortho and Neurologist post MRI) and, being from the old school, she said for moderate to severe pain she likes to prescribe Methcarbamol instead.

I am taking 750 mg of Methocarbamol 3x a day (5'8" 150 lbs), along with Tramadol for neuro pain and it works like a charm. No sleepiness from either and I can tell when the Methocarbamol is wearing off and that is usually after about 6 hours. My doc said I can take it every 6 hours if needed. The only side effects I have noticed are slight constipation...some peculiar dreams...but drinking lots of water (as should be done with any med) and taking a Senna laxative at night takes care of that.

PS...Was given Dilaudid, Morphine and Percocet for neuro pain at ER. NONE touched that pain. Tramadol, a synthetic opiate, is the only one that has worked in a 10 mg dose 4x a day.

As another poster previously said, all medications' side effects differ from patient to patient. Best advice is to observe yourself for a couple of days to see how alert you are after dosage. And remember, if you have family who can help...ASK THEM! :)))
  • I had been taking soma for years, then all of a sudden the doctors quit giving them out. I've tried everything and nothing has helped. I went to a new doctor about my muscle spasms and she prescribed me Methocarbamol 750mg 4 times a day. I just started these today. I'm praying that these will come close to what the somas were doing. I need relive bad!!!
  • J.J.Grey said:
    Robaxin just like any other drug takes some time to get adjusted to. Give it a couple of weeks and the strange dreams and insomnia may subside. It actually works very well for my muscle spasms. I still take it now and then. I switch between Robaxin and Soma. Good luck and keep us posted on how you are doing.
    If it continues to keep you awake maybe you should take more of it in the am and avoid bedtime.
  • Always in painAAlways in pain Posts: 3
    edited 05/13/2013 - 1:37 PM
    Does the Robaxin help like soma for you
  • I have taken this med, and it for me was like a sugar pill also. The only thing so far for me, for severe muscle spasms has been Valium. Makes you not care at all that you hurt, but also makes you goofy at first, then you become tolerant quickly and need more, just like all the drugs I have taken and am taking. For me I seem to become tolerant within two weeks of taking ANY new drug. So for me the combo has not been correct so far. I have chronic pain and have been dealing w/ this almost 3 years.
    For me best muscle spasm med was Valium.
  • Hi there,

Ive been on methocarbamol for years 750mg 4 x daily, they did not cause me any drowsiness or anything luckily! However since my second spinal surgery in october past my gp has doubled my dose so now on 1500mg 4 x daily and again thankfully has not affected mye in any negative way. I would agree to try one about an hour before you go to bed to see how they affect you and you can decide from there? Good luck. Xx
    Never allow the patient to decide what and when and how to take their medications.

It is important to follow the directions as the doctor wrote them. If you feel there is a need for any change, you must first discuss this with your doctor to get their approvals.

It can be dangerous to alter any of the prescribed medications routines.
advertisement