Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Question about sleep and mattress toppers

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,899
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Fibromyalgia
One of the thing that has helped with sleep was buying a mattress topper. I got one and its been great but now its several years old and it seems to have lost its memory! :))) So I'm looking for a new one and wondering if any has had one for at least a few years that they find is a good quality?
advertisement

Comments

• Nobody has one, I couldn't sleep with the pressure points without one. Does anyone have one that they are happy with????? :jawdrop:
  • I ordered a mattress topper from QVC and it arrived last week. It was hard to put on all by myself, especially being disabled, but boy was it worth it! I have no idea how long it will last but if it only lasts one year and then I have to buy another, that's fine with me because I'm so happy with it. Even my husband slept like a baby on it when he came home for a few days for our wedding anniversary. He LOVED it too!

I thought it was a little pricey at $195.00 (that's the introductery price, $214.00 regular price) but I don't care. It has the memory foam for the pressure points and it also comes with a microfill topper that is like a featherbed on top. Check it out on the QVC website. It's called "Bodipedic Comfort Options Memory Foam Mattress Topper". Mine is a queen size and the king cost's $246.00 and will go up to $271.00. The item # for the queen is #H11962 & the king is #H11963.

There is a pillow that I want really bad also. I was waiting to see if I liked the topper before I bought it but I'm going to order it right away now. This is how good this topper is, I haven't been able to sleep in my bed for about 7 years now. I've had to sleep sitting up in a chair in the living room. It's been beyond miserable! I also sleep for 30 minutes to two hours at the most. A couple of nights ago I actually managed to sleep for 5 straight hours without waking up one single time and my back didn't even hurt! That is a miracle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A few years ago I had spent $3600.00 on a Sleep Number bed thinking that it would help me get back to sleeping normal but that was a bust. I was pretty much out of options.

With the addition of the featherbed like piece on the top, this is like sleeping on a comfortable cloud and incredibly cozy. I have to recommend this to anyone who is looking for one. If you don't like it, you can always send it back within 30 days so there is nothing to lose!

Good luck!
  • Thanks Jewels. You're right, its just time to get a new one when it actually helps!
  • 8> :jawdrop: I really can't recommend anything higher than this one! It has actually changed my life! For me to actually sleep in a BED was a miracle in itself! I haven't been able to do that in over 7 years. =)) And I didn't wake up in pain!!!!!! I actually got 5 hours of sleep!!! I haven't done that in over 7 years either!!! Can you tell that I'm excited? Yippee! <:P Yes I am!!! =)) <:P I hope that you have the same luck that I have, whichever one you choose! :H
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,728
    Curley,
    I bought a nevo (I hope the spellings right) 3 inch memory foam from costco about 4 yrs. ago and it's still a dream come true. I'm not sure of the cost. But I'd pay double!
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • You've had yours for 4 years? Has it even sarted to break down yet? Also, do you know if they still carry them?
  • I'm curious. Mine has been probably about 3 years. I find it changing colors and just not as firm. Thanks j howie
  • Well one that looks pretty good and is not the big name brand, I contacted and asked for a sample! I hate buying this stuff online. I barely slept until I got the memory foam pillow (one brand was just right-tried 2 others) memory foam topper and I have pillows under my legs and now I'm waking up sore.
  • I have a foam mattress topper made from memory foam also. I bought it at Sams club for $99.00 about 8 years ago and it is still holding up wonderfully. On top of that I use a quilted topper with filling that cushions and comforts.

I thought the foam was enough and last week tried to sleep without the quilted one. Boy was I surprised. I hurt all over. Could NOT sleep. I recommend this to anyone who has trouble sleeping. It certainly adds comfort and eliminates alot of the pressure put on the skin.
  • 2 years ago i bought a memory foam bed from dormia the box spring and the mattress set me back 1500 dollars. It is somewhat comfy,but not what i expected it to be. I thought i would sink right into it. I sleep really well on soft beds like those really old motel beds. Anyway, i think i am about to go out and by a futon mattress to put on top, they only run about a 100 dollars. I had borrowed my daughters futon mattress for a couple weeks and i slept like a baby. still woke up every two hours to go to the bathroom, but i could at least walk upon standing up. You might try one of those before you spend all that money.
  • We bought the same memory foam topper from Sam's. WalMart also carries them. Like you said, $99.00. We covered it with a pillow-top mattress cover and it feels like you're sleeping on clouds, and engulfed in comfort. It's several years old and still maintains the same high quality. A very good product, and a very good price.

Rusty
  • I see this post is about a month old but wanted to chime in just in case anyone is still looking but super poor like me (lol).

Overstock.com has MANY memory foam toppers, but the one I bought (queen size) was only $55 (FREE shipping). I wouldnt recommend less than 3" b/c I've tried several different toppers and the 2" ones just don't cut it. Mine's a 3" and it's wonderful! It has sort of an "egg crate" thing going on, only WAY more comfortable. It's like sleeping on a cloud! I've had it for a year, some discoloration but I've been told that's normal for the memory foams to do. No breaking down or anything yet tho. Over the summer I was literally homeless, living in a tent. I put the memory foam on an air mattress and slept beautifully enough that now that I finally have a home again I'm considering getting rid of my crappy twin bed I got that was my g'mas and putting an air mattress back down. (The problems is trying to get up off the darn thing....I need one of those AeroBed ones that's the height of a regular bed-THAT would be awesome! Only b/c I can't afford a sleep number bed)

FYI, the most shipping EVER on Overstock is $2.95 and like I said, they have TONS of different ones to look at. Worth a look at least!

Good luck to everyone! I was just dx'd (officially) with fibro yesterday and with all my other back & health problems it kinda feels like the end of the world all over again. It's nice to be able to sink into my cloud (bed) when it's time to get off my feet.

• Tanya

I don't know whether you've tried an aerobed before, but I bought a 'middle of the range' one to go on top of my ordinary mattress and it developed a leak after 3 months. I wrote to the company and they exchanged it (no probs), but the new one also developed a leak and in the same place. This happened a 3rd time, so I gave up on them despite the comfort!

This might not happen to everyone, but I can't sleep on my back and have to sleep on my side. The leak always developed where the bony part of my hip rests.

Good luck if you do buy one.

Bye, Val
  • dunelm mill and buy one of there memory foam toppers .they are fantastic .there are many on the various shopping channels too .if you were thinking about purchasing a new bed then go to sleep masters and get a sensor foam revolution electric adjustable bed {its made by velda {top company} but it has the sleep master logo on it its half the price of the velda but its the same bed velda call it the pro flex 30 sleep masters call it the sensor foam revolution .tempur beds tend to be too hard {we have one of there bed too} and we also have a dunelm topper on a crap mattress!.as long as you pay around 100 pounds for a single you will get a good quality don't buy a 29.99 memory foam topper it wont be very good .happy shopping contact me for any more info if you want
    STRAKER
  • Thank you for the info on Aero Bed! My parents bought me a heavy duty air mattress with the velour top to put on my regular mattress with my memory foam topper (that I bought from Overstock) on it. It's much better than it was but I'm still having enough pain to wake me up at night-just not quite as often. I also have had to add air to it a couple times, although it did say in the "instructions" that when it's new you probably will have to add air approx 3 times in a week (and it's been more than that for me & I've only added air twice)so....? I'm hoping it will, if nothing else, buy me time until I can afford to purchase a good bed, which Lord only knows when that will be.

Thank you for the info! I will definitely reconsider the AeroBed now-not JUST because of your situation, but it does add to the list of 'cons'. I'm sorry you had to deal with such hassle-that's never fun but when in pain so much it's tenfold...

God Bless...
advertisement