Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

plasma disc decompression for bulginig disc

steve55ssteve55 Posts: 86
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
It was a success however I believe I had 2 issues prior to this surgery and it only fixed my C6/7 portruding disc issue. I still have grinding noises in my neck/back which I believe is causing irritation and inflamation at the C5/6. Plasma disc decompression was invented in 2000 but I have been unable to find anyone anywhere in this forum or ANYWHERE on the internet who had it done. I was only #7 for my doctor and my doctor says 5 out of the 6 so far have had great success. I can finally lay in bed in any position without any pain. But I cannot sit at a desk or in a chair for very long as the pain gets worse. The internet articles all seem to note a 2 week recovery time but my doctor says the conference he atended on this said it takes more like 6 weeks to 3 months. So, more than likely I now have to sit around for another month or two to be sure my existing pain is not due to surgery healing. I doubt its just surgery healing pain cause I have no longer made healing progress in the last 2 weeks, in fact I have gotten worse, and I blame this on my existing C5/6 grinding noise in my disc as the discogram reproduced this noise at the c5/6 level.

Most likley I am looking at ADR at one or two levels. With the dollar Euro in the tank, it may be close to the same price doing it here than in germany. But most importantly, I believe the plasma disc decompression was a huge success and resolved the main pain generator , the portruding disc at C6/7.
advertisement

Comments

• That is great that something has brought you some relief. What exactly is a plasma disc decompression? Maybe with this you will only need one ADR and a lot of insurances are starting to cover them. You should see if your insurance will cover it.

So the grinding noises are your bulging disc? Sometimes I get those noises too. I was hoping it was muscle related.

Clarissa
    large bulge c5-6, minimal c6-7, c7-t1- MVP 07-2007
  • Hi Steve55,

In my quest to find info about PDD, I came across your post. My ortho doc is recommending this procedure for my herniated L5 disc since I have been in pain (left leg and foot) since mid October and have only gotten one week of relief from my second epidural. I have my third this Monday. I'm desperate for relief and to try and keep my job so I was wondering if you were satisfied with your surgery (for C6/C7)and has it maintained a "no pain" status since your surgery.

Thanks and hope to hear from you.
  • Jkerner, the Plasma disc decompression gave me great relief but only for 3-4 months. My pain gradually came back in full force almost as bad asd prior to surgery pain levels. The latest word from my doc is that after some initial success, they are not having as much success with it as they had hoped. But it sure did work real well for the short run. Anyways, as I am posting this I am connecting flights in toronto on my way to germanty for a 2 level artificial disc. Hope it turns out to be a lomg term fix.
    Good luck! :)
  • I found your post too, and wanted to comment that I had the PDD on my L4/L5 in November 2008. Felt like I'd been hit with a baseball bat for about 6 weeks, then was SOOO much better! Was loving life, and really enjoying everything...

THEN - about 3 months ago, the back pain started to return. "Supposedly" my doctor said that I am the only one that they have had that has had this problem, so I'm interested to hear that you too had this issue.

I'm headed back in tomorrow to have another discogram to see what kind of damage I'm facing - either another disc - or one of these two has blown again - and I'm headed for fusion.

It was short lived pain relief (about 4-5 months) The pain started appearing slowly - now its back like a freight train! Sure wish it would have lasted!

Good luck to you!! :-)

Jilly-Bean
advertisement