Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New Member- LS spine radiculopaththy and Idopathic Neuropathy

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in New Member Introductions
One thing I have learned in the past 6 months of searching for answers for my medical problems. You never want to here a neurologist say "Your an interesting case".

Mine started over a year ago with an injury to my lower back, pelvis and hips.
I have bulges at L3-L4 and L5-S1 with no cord compression or stenosis. I did however severely tear the acetabular larum linings in both hips. Debridement surgery on both resolved the hip and pelvis pain, but I still continue to have "heaviness" in both legs and "numbness, tingling, and coldness, with muscle fasicualtions" from my knees to my feet. After exertion or prolonged sitting, I development numbness in my pubic region and severe muscle spasms in the upper portion of my buttocks.

After seeing a multitude of local docs, (IM, Neuro, NS, Rehab, Pain MGT, ortho,) and having every test possible done, I was referred to a neurologist at Emory University. After repeating conduction and EMG studies and doing skin biopsies, here was what he said:

You have at least 2 seperate and distinct things going on. First, the conduction and EMG almost certainly suggest that you have a Myeopathy or Radiculopathy in the region between L4 and S2. The MRI's might not bear it out, but I feel certain it is there. Second, the skin biopsy (s) show rather severe small nerve fiber neuropathy which is consistent with the autonomic issues of postoral tachycardia, and intermitent bowel, bladder, and sexual dysfunction you having.

This neurologist said "well, at least now (after almost nine months) you have a dual diagnosis - Lumbar Radiculopathy and idopathic autonomic and peripheral neuropathy. At this point, I don't know where to go with this because all your imaging exams do not show a "surgical" pathology and all your blood work looking for systemic, bacterial, viral, genetic, metabolic, and immunologic causes of neuropathy and/or radiculopathy are normal. You are a very interesting case. We know what is going on. We just don't know the cause."

Any thoughts, suggestions, or ideas?

advertisement

Comments

• Brian and welcome to the forum. Unfortunately I have no ideas but I atleast wanted to pop in and welcome you to the forum. We have the best members around and they are all wonderful at giving support and having understanding. Please do keep us posted as to how you are doing and what you end up doing. Just remember that whatever road you go that you are not traveling it alone , we are all here with you. If ever I can help you with anything at all then please just let me know. Take care , Miki
  • :) hi and welcome to the form! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. it seems you have seen your share of doctors but you can continue that route if you see fit. what treatment plan does your doctor give you? many of us have to treat symptoms because there is no "cure." we may have different symptoms but we all have pain in common. good luck and i hope you find pain relief soon. Jenny :)
  • Welcome to the board. I am also new here. Don't have any answers for you but hope the doc's can help you soon.
  • I also have no answers for you. Maybe you will never know the cause but maybe now that you have a diagnosis they may know how to treat your pain. Some of us never even get a diagnosis and just have to settle for treatment of the symptoms. Good luck to you and please kep us posted on your progress.
advertisement