Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

therapy hurtin more then helpin

gar0262ggar0262 Posts: 164
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Lower Back Pain
I have been going to therapy for about 4 1/2 weeks now and it is NOT helping. I felt pretty good this morning before I went and now am in pain, with spasms, and numbness and tingling being worse :''( I am so frustrated, and depressed dealing with this. I go back to my n/s next Friday and thanks to this site I have more knowledge, so therefore have several questions to ask him. ;) On top of all this I am stressed about finances, and my job. @) So, I'm glad to have this site to come to and vent. thanks >:D<
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,715
    So many members have written posts about the success or failure stories about Physical Therapy.
    I firmly believe in Physical Therapy and that it is so important in the initial phase of your recovery. However, over a period of time, and that time is different for everyone, the good that comes out of PT may start to diminish or even start to cause problems.

Your Startup Sessions
    When you first go to Physical Therapy, it is probably after surgery of some other problem. You get evaluated and they start sessions. In the very beginning, the treatment is generally so passive it would not hurt anyone. Then as time builds up, some of those treatments become a bit more aggressive.

Knowing what is too much
    There are times when PT can become to aggressive for your condition. Keep in mind that most therapists themselves are in excellent shape and sometimes take on a role as almost being a personal trainer ... No pain No Gain. Well that may be fine for normal people , but those with spinal conditions
    dont want that

Listen to your body and trust it
    You know your body probably better than anyone. You know when you do something that is going to hur and when you do things that are going to help you. If you feel that at any time your therapy sessions are not going well, you owe it to yourself to stop and discuss this with your therapist and your doctor(s)

Stay with one Therapist
    One of the most important but so frequently overlooked is staying with one therapist. Sometimes that can be difficult based on scheduling issues, but make every point to see the same therapist for all your sessions. A good therapist will get to know your body and know when its hurting and know when its good.

Each person is unique, therefore each therapist is also unique. Whenever you have questions, stop and ask them.
    And when you have concerns, always consult with your doctor.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Has your PT made any suggestion that there could be a problem somewhere else? I'd almost wonder if you should continue on simply because you're doing worse and you really don't want to do further damage to yourself. I also recommend keeping track of where specifically the pain is, what aggrivates it and things like that. By doing this I was very prepared for my appointment yesterday afternoon with my orthopedic doctor. I had all of my questions answered and left no stone unturned. Plus I had to take my children with me so I was very glad I had my 'list' with me. 8} As always, good luck!
  • My therapy is part of the conservative treatment my ns wanted to try first, which also includes the esi shots. I've only had one shot so far, and it only helped for one day, but as I've read on here it can take some time to be effective, so I'm trying to be patient. I go to a small therapy clinic so I usually have the same therapist, if by chance he is working with someone else he will at least check with me during my appt to see how things are going. I'm trying to be patient about all of this as I know it takes time, but I'm also one of those that want to get things took care of so I can get on with life.
    Glor
This discussion has been closed.