Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

4 weeks post op, first day no pain!

saltzworksssaltzworks Posts: 1,031
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am starting to feel a lot more optimistic!

For the first time since surgery, and particularly after going off the pain meds; I actually WOKE UP WITH NO PAIN!!! =D>

I still go to bed with legs that ache so much I almost want to cry, but to wake up and to have the pain be gone, for the very first time. Sorry I keep repeating, but I am so very grateful for the respite I could almost dance! If I could dance that is ;)

I knew that if I could just stick it out for a while longer I would feel better. I was just so close to calling the Dr. and asking for a refill on the Roxicodone. Now I feel like I won't have to.

I guess I still have to watch out for setbacks and the odd healing pains. I did get a strange pulling sensation that now comes in my back, on the right. I just change position and it does lessen.

Currently I still get tired very quickly. I cannot sit for more than 30 minutes - max. When I have company over and I am not able to lay down I alternate standing and sitting, but I pay for it at night - that relentless nervy ache in my legs. During the day when I am mentally busy (and can lay down and walk as needed) I can ignore the ache and I don't feel it so much.

Now it's just settling in for the long haul, gaining strength back, sticking to the restrictions no matter how good I feel and taking advantage of the time off work :)

advertisement

Comments

• Glad to hear you are doing better and hope it continues. Keep us posted. =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
  • Yippy! =D> So glad you are feeling better. See, that rest and healing are paying off! Just keep doing what you are doing. It is working. >:D< Sue
  • Well that is worth celebrating!!!! <:P

Salty I discovered recently that even though I was given blood post op and put on Iron supliments that I still (nearly 4 months later) have a low HB and low Folate. I have recently added folic acid tables to my handfuls of meds and suppliments and in the last week have really noticed a difference.
    SO I would suggest you get a blood test for Iron, B12, Folate Rec Cell Folate and a FBC (Worked in pathology) just to get it checked out.

Oh Not too much champaingne!

Blessings Sara
  • I am glad you are feeling better. I am jelous :W I think we are only a few days appart on our same surgery.

I don't have such leg pain, but I have pretty intense LBP from the surgery when I am moving:walking, rolling over etc.

I am now taking 10 mg norco, 5 mg oxycodone, every 6 hours and after 5 hours I start counting minutes 8> till I can take my next dose. I also am taking flexerile 3 x a day.

I was hoping I would be one of those people whom feel better instantly, but I wasn't.

Julie >:D<

• I am so glad to hear that you finally had a pain-free awakening. Congratulations! You earned it Amy! Hopefully you get better and stronger by the day. As we have heard this before, it takes a long time and a lot of patience to recover. You are still very fresh out of surgery, so to be tired or have problems with sitting is normal. I had my fusion over 3 1/2 months ago, I can sit without problems now, providing I have the right chair. But I still get tired quite quickly, so I am far from being productive. I just try to do one thing at a time, then rest.

Wishing you continuing success in your recovery,

Hugs,

Kin
  • I will be having a TLIF on October 7th and am reading all I can on pre-op & post-op, but....

As ya'll already know this is a hard decision and NOT to be taken lightly, I have alot of question to ask during my pre-op, and I have read several entries regarding what to expect post-op but what are the questions to ask pre-op??

I have already asked a lot of questions, and my husband asked a lot of question about the mechanics of the TLIF device (he's an engineer, go figure), and I was asking about the "what do I do after or what can't I do)

I will be asking my doctor some questions...but I thought I would find out the answer here first?

Does the pain come from the drilling and screwing that goes on or does it come from the incision?

Also loss of blood... where does that come from?

What are some of the other questions that I should be asking regarding the surgery? Before during and after.

Did any of ya'll experience a "Wish I knew that before hand?"

Thanks to al

• I'm so gld you are feeling better now with everything you've been through. Keep up the good work and I wish you continued success with your recovery. =D>

Best wishes,
    Christina :)
  • Julie - I was wishing I could have stayed on meds longer - unfortunately my stomach just would not cooperate. I would not worry about being on meds still- I consider us still newbies for being post-surgery.

Lili- What I wished I new /where the pain came from for me

The first few days (well - 2 weeks) the pain was all the muscles in my back refusing to allow me to move. The incision itself was numb and still feels weird/numb. I never felt like I had a knife cut me open. I did feel that all the muscles were very angry from being moved and opened up.

My legs- well they just felt very weak. My whole body - weak weak weak.

The last few weeks, besides continued weakness, I get this horrible ache in my legs, the at-the-point-of-collapse-exhausted feeling you get from over work. I now walk LESS and it has helped. But I still get it.

From what I understand the tissue heals in 10 days to 2 weeks. Bone - is what, several months I think and nerves, well 1 to 2 years.

Blood-loss (thanks for the tip Sara) came from what I suspect was a hemorrhage post op. During the first surgery I lost 300cc (if I remember my recovery nurse saying that right) which I don't think is much. I had a drain post op and I lost a lot of blood through it before my second surgery. The drain was all but dry after the second surgery.

• Saltzworks,

Thanks for answering the "Where's the Pain" question. I was really worried about that. My OS told me that out of a scale of 1-10 I should expect at least a 12.

Lili
advertisement