Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 Months Post Fusion - Vibration/Tingling in Left Foot

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am 2 months post PLIF L4-L5. I have done EXTREMELY well. I was fused at 5 weeks (my doctor said because I walked so much). Anyway, he said I could bend at that point and lifted "all restrictions". I started PT immediately after. I've also been swimming. Now, in the past 2 weeks, I've developed a vibration of sorts in my foot, specifically me toes (left foot). It's driving me nuts!
The surgeon's PA wants me to take a 5 day pack of Prednisone...he thinks that will help. Has anyone else had similar symptoms after fusion and then taken the Predisone? If so, did it help? Or will the feelings eventually go away?
advertisement

Comments

• Sadie Girl it sounds like restless legs symdrome that a lot of us have post op.
    What you have to remember tis that when your Dr says you are fused at 5 weeks he probably means that the fusion process has started. It usually takes months (up to 18) for the fusion to be complete.

I must admit that I would want to know what is causeing this tingling thingy before taking meds for it especially Prednisone which if I recall correctly is a steroidal anti-inflamitory and may interfere with the fusion continuing.
    -As I said I could be wrong but please chack it out first.

If you read the threads here, a lot of people have problems post- fusion and it usually settles. You may just be doing too much and this is natures way of saying slow down.

Hope things improve and please let us know

Sara
  • Thanks, Angelback! I actually had the restless leg syndrome at about 3 weeks post op. It was especially bad at night, but I didn't have the tingling/vibration thing in the foot. The restless leg feelings have been gone for several weeks now. So, I think this is something different. And as you pointed out, I may be doing too much too soon. I think I'll just scale back my activities and see what happens.
  • ...when I told him a similar feeling, that it is nerves "waking up" & starting to grow back...it felt like little worms crawling under my skin & you could actually see little "pings" in the muscles (they're called fasciulations, BTW) & they would move by themselves...also had a lot of cramping of lower legs & my feet felt like wearing socks all the time...the resltless stuff at night was disturbing also, but that is getting better...I also had intense internal "itching" (still do some days) in the wound area, above & below & in the disc-spacer area...do you ever get that? My NS said that was also "healing nerves/muscles" so I was relieved to hear that..it's a good sign, as are the vibrations/tingling in the legs (he said) as that shows things are TRYING to return to "normal", whatever that is now....!

As was suggested, try cutting back on your activity levels (keep walking tho) & see if that helps. I also found that gentle massage of my legs/feet helped a little. As did some very gentle hamstrng stretches. But check w/ your doc 1st.

Sounds like you're doing well, tho! Bone growth @ 5 weeks shows you are taking good care of yourself! Keep your chin up---it's just a LONG process & it morphs from one thing to another...I'm almost 8 months out & seems that everyday there's something "new" to notice...!

Hope you have a better day today!

~Lakeside

• Thanks for your thoughts as well, Lakeside! That makes me feel better after hearing your experience. Today, the vibration in my foot is not quite as noticeable, so maybe taking it a bit easier is helping. I haven't walked or swam in 3 days...just some PT and stretching. I'll start walking again tomorrow. Anyway, even if I'm stuck with the sensation for the rest of my life, MY PAIN IS GONE and that's all the matters in the scheme of things! At this point, I have truly been one of the success stories. I hope this encourages others if they are forced to have surgery.

June 24, 2008 PLIF L4-L5, Complete L5 laminectomy, Harvest of local bone graft, placement of Peek Cages, percutaneous
    pedicle fixation using Pivot system

• I am getting a vibration in my right foot and leg. It feels just like a mobile phone vibrating!
    Even down to the rhythum of it. It 'vibrates' for 2 or 3 seconds, then stops for 2 or 3 seconds and then starts again. Very strange.

I don't know about nerves healing because my surgery was about 20 months ago. I am having other issues, but wonder if anyone has been told what this is caused by. It does seem to be neurological.

• MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,359
    I have a number of isssues with my left foot - thigh(s) and calf and sciatica.

My pain doctor (who also is a neurologist) said that it is a result of my lumbar issues (ruptured L4 and herniations above).

His diagnosis in my case included peroneal nerve syndrome. You may want to search the forums as there has been a lot of discussion about it here - or google - bing for additional info.

Hope you have a good holiday season!

d

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

advertisement