Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

klonopin-new med for me, what can i expect?

LadyBugLLadyBug Posts: 851
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I know doc gave me klonopin for muscle and nerve pain, is this meds something like Valium? is it like a step up from xanax?
advertisement

Comments

• I was taking klonopin for anxiety,but it is used to treat other things I think.

I took the .05mg and it made me very tired unless I took it when I was extemely stressed.Under those circumstances it just calmed my nerves.

If you check this med list http://www.drugs.com/drug_information.html
    and look up your medication-then look down somewhat on the page on the righthand side you will see 'comments'.There you can read what others have to say about a specific medication and why they were prescribed it.
  • thankyou robin im gonna do that now, im just learnig how to use a cumputer, and im finding all kinds of good things,thanks again for your help
    bless you
  • :) i use Klonopin for anxiety myself. ~X( no side effects except i occasionally get drowsy so i take it at night. good luck and i hope it helps you to feel better! Jenny :)
  • thanx jenny, i have noticed it might be making me a bit tired today )took a nap today first daytime nap in years but it was nice) i think it is helping to take away some of this muscle pain an spasms. so far im happy with it take care
  • I sent you a PM about this. Klonopin is highly addictive.
  • thankyou, i read your pm and it was much appreciated bless you for caring to do this.
  • Klonopin is new for me as well. My doc has me taking it in the AM and PM. It definitely seems to be helping with the muscle spasms/tightness in my neck. At this point, I feel better than I have in a while. He has me taking Klonopin and 300 mg Ultram per day and Vicodin when the Ultram doesnt' cut it.
  • i also would have to say the new med is working great, im taking point5 mg 4 times a day, im having no muscle spasm while on it which is almost unbelievable my neck is sum what better, and helps me sleep better at night i also take ultram a couple times a day up to 300 mg if needed no vico for me though the ultram doesn't really help much these days, but i am very concerned at how addicting this klonopin is and that scares me i wonder if this klonopin is a newer drug? im not really into taking new drugs that are new to the market so im a little nervous i also take lunesta fur sleepi think i will talk to my family doc about the addiction part of this med, good luck
  • I have severe muscle spasms in neck, can't sleep. Ativan, which I had already tapered off in May, I'm back on for sleep. Dr. is giving me Klonopin tomorrow. Said I can take it right away, just don't take ativan and klonopin on same day.
    I'll be honest, with the pain I'm in, I don't care if I get addicted to either. As long as this goes away.
  • I'm prescribed clonazepam (here it's called Rivotril rather than Klonopin), and find it to be a good muscle relaxant. It is one of the strongest of the benzodiazepines, and can be quite sedating, especially when you first start taking it. I wouldn't recommend taking it in the daytime until you are more used to its effects. I take it at night time, an hour or two before bed. Some nights I take tizanidine (Zanaflex) instead, which is another (non-benzodiazepine) muscle relaxant. Clonazepam can be addictive and will result in some level of physical dependence, if taken regularly for a long time, as with all the benzodiazepines. Personally I find it more effective and 'smoother' than other benzos like Ativan or Xanax.
  • Klonepin is the drug that Stevie Nicks of Fleetwood Mac used. Many people report "losing days" as this highly addictive drug makes you lethargic and unproductive. I'm sure there are other "band-aids" out there that will not destroy your life like Klonepin will. Good Luck!
  • I'm with you on the addiction thing. I take five Oxycodone a day...have been on opioids for two years, so I've built up a tolerance to them, which is why I take so many. I'll deal with the addiction once I get my pain resolved.
  • I've tried Valium, Ativan...Both gave me headaches after taking a small dose... I've tried Xanax too... Klonopin works for me the best. I originally took it for anxiety, now I also/just take it if my muscle relaxer isn't cutting through and relaxing my muscles and I'm in a lot of pain or discomfort.

I take 0.5mg two times a day at the very most, but I don't take them really everyday...Really as needed for me now.

The only side effect I get from it is sleepiness for an hour or so.
  • I used klonopin for several years. I had such excessive anxiety that my dr. diagnosed me as bipolar syndrome, he explained that my manic phase was the anxiety and he gave me two antidepressants which were hard for me to get.
    If you are looking for a psychophamacologist in Manhatten, Central park west, let me know.
advertisement