Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

MY SURGERY IS OVER!

leocat46lleocat46 Posts: 125
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
:) well hello everyone , i am pecking away on keyboard
and it is driving me nuts. 8} this is very frustrating
with one arm to say the least to do anything. the pain is
terrible , doc gave me oxycodone. definately stronger than vicodin. i like percs better, easier on my stomach. it helps but not all the way. i had such a nice nurse who took care of me in hospital. my dr. was great also thats the important one. i got treated really well there.
i went in at 10:45 a.m. left hospital at 4:30. He did arthroscipic on shoulder, he found 2 bone spurs that were digging into tear on rotary cuff! :T he said no wonder i was in so much pain. I am in a very strange looking arm sling. it is a blue velcro mesh type, but it has a built-in ice bag across the top of my shoulder. it comes with a cooler thermos jug, that you put ice water my arm sling has tube that drapes across the front of it, my husband has to drain it , then refill with ice water. he does it twice daily. he also has me starting forearm exercises today!
i said no way, i have to move my arm from elbow down , but nEVER letting my elbow up to shoulder move, and never let move away from my stomach. :/ i have to do these 15 times twice daily. i tried this morn. , oh my gosh i could have screamed, i have to do this so my arm does freeze up on me. this afternoon i was laying down trying to rest , i was tired but could not sleep , because i started having muscle spasms in arms and shoulder that practically sent me to the roof!! it felt like lightening bolts, they would not quit so i just got up, and they subsided, i am scared to lay down again, i am afraid it will start. !! I) ~X( i am really sleepy.

Let me tell you putting on a pair of underwear is not that easy with one arm also. :$ i had trouble even getting the blanket on bed over me , i am allowed sponge baths, until mon. then i can take a shower and remove bandages an replace them with bandaids over my 3 cuts in shoulder. i go have an appt. with him on sept. 3rd, the 4th with NS for my spine . all in all doc told my husband surgery went well. hey i did noy get sick either afterwards! JUST ME it is not easy trying to adjust to one arm, but i will keep you updated with any tips, LOL @) well i close for now. it took me so long to type this. i keep thinking of my cervical, am wondering if will have to have surgery on it also. oh well , i guess one thing adressed at a time, like all of us on spiney's on here. wish you all well
ONE-ARmed LEOCAT ;)
advertisement

Comments

• Hey Leo :H
    Glad to hear your surgery is over, and you are recooping now.
    I went out and bought some jogging pants, I hate them, but I don't want to be asking for help all the time #:S
    I know I will have a ice pack too, the WC nurse already asked for one for me.
    Sure hope you are feeling better soon. >:D<
    JustMe
  • i don't know if i asked you before , but is your dr. doing an arthroscopic procedure on you also? my suggestion as far as the jogging pants are, wear as least as possible around house. thanks for the well wishes, i found out that i even had trouble opening pill bottle, those child proof caps. so my husband left lid off and put it in another container for me. i will talk to you later, my husband has to leave for work, so he changing my ice pack before he leaves. take it easy ONe armed LEo (|:
  • I had both shoulders done and the right one done twice. Be sure to follow dr. rules - especially moving shoulder. Even small moves help. Just push it a quarter inch each day. I got full movement back and had incisions 3-4 inches. It does get better.

I decided if they wanted to see clothes - they could look in my closet. When I had to go back to dr. my daughter had to dress me! She loved that. Otherwise, Pj's worked. It does get better. Can't say that enough. And didn't have web sites with them - or didn't know about them.
  • Yes, we are doing the arthroscopic procedure. I thing I have been wondering about... 8> can we wear a bra yet 8}
    Dumb things that go through the mind hey :D
    Hope the pain is getting better for you leo.
    I guess I am getting to the realization of this surgery coming up, and starting to think, maybe I can live with this shoulder like it is :SS In my heart of hearts I know I need it done, so I can try again and hope I will be as good as new someday soon. This is going on close to 2 years now, and I will not give in to depression! I am strong, I belive when one door closes another one opens. But it has been a long fight to the finally. I feel it has made me stronger spiritally and emtionally.
    Hope things keep getting better for ya too Leo. :)
    Justme
  • my dr. ,could not stress enough not to let my arm leave my side for no reason. yes malaw i am living in my p.j.s so to speak. it is a terri- cloth type gown, that ties at the shoulder, with full elastic around the top. i bought it specifically for afterwards. my nurse dressed me at hospital, and thought it was perfect, i also wore a pair of elastic shorts underneath. i think it is used for over swimsuits when leaving pool, or just getting out of bath.as far as BRA's, no way. i am not a small busted women, but i really do not care at HOME. BUT going out in public is a different story, my shoulder harness hides some of it. i can't imagine trying to put one on now. JUST ME-- i know how you feel about having second thoughts, i have been dealing with mine going on 2 yrs. also. enough is enough though. but guess what? i have a new problem. i got my monthly! i guess it was not enough challenge for just learning to do things with one arm. now i have to deal with this. ugghh @) ~X( boy when it rains it pours!
    i know you will be fine JUST ME, remember we are in this together! take care ONe aRMed leo
  • Hey leocat,
    Glad to hear the surgery went well and your now on the road to recovery from the shoulder.

I totally get the "doing things with one ar" I had the 4 arm surgeries and had a long arm cast up to my armpit every time. I live alone and have no kids so it was up to me to get crafty on how to do things. I think the advandtage I had over you is that I Was able to lift the injured arm which was a big deal when it came to showering.

TMI here...Shaving the arm pits was a bit tricky! Putting on a bra at first was something I needed help with and eventually I figured out a way to do it on my own. I also am not one to go out into public without one on!..LOL it just does not feel right to go out that way...lol

Well glad you home safe and sound. Feel free to pm me anytime on tips for doing things with one arm!...you will get creative and adapt as the days pass

Chrissy
  • for the well wishes, today is 3 days after surgery. i did learn one thing today, i had trouble pulling up my underwear
    :$ on the other side , so i grabbed a utensill from kkitchen with long handle and used it to bring it up on the other side. =D>. LOL i folded some towels and washcloths also today with one hand also. my son did a load of whites for me though. CHRISSY, By you having four arm surgeries, you should know all the tricks. JUST ME I AMthinking about you . You are probably nervous i know :SS . if i learn anything else i will let you know. 8> take care
    onE aRmed LEO
  • Maybe you could ask your doctor for something for the muscle spasms like flexeril. Just at least until they setle down a little.

Best Wishes,
    Christina :)
  • I had that ice-thermos-pump thing for my shoulder surgery too! I (naively) thought I would get to use it again for my ankle and back surgeries - but no dice, never did use it again.

I had to keep my arm totally immobile for 4 weeks post-op. I can't imagine having to move it! yikes!!! I would still do whatever your doc suggests - they know your surgery best.

Good luck!
  • I am trying to get everything done, like the wash, will be putting clean sheets on too. ummm, thanks for reminding me, my monthly is due this week :O Do you think it might stop the surgery from happening? So much is going on this week, kids start back to school tomorrow. I miss them when they go back, but ready to kill them when they are home making messes too :D ~X( . We will be leaving on Wednesday for the hospital is over 200 miles one way. They will be keeping me over night for this reason. So I should be back home sometime Friday. My mom and dad are coming for my surgery, that is great! :D :D I feel special, they are driving 4 hours one way to come. They have their own health issues so it makes it hard for them. But they know their baby girl needs them. :''( They will go back home once I am out of recovery. God I feel loved :X
    Keep telling me all the good news Leo, you sure are a inspiration... :D
    JustMe
advertisement