Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

famous people in pain? do we know or not

terror8396tterror8396 Posts: 1,832
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Chronic Pain
just curios, i believe that it would help the rest of us chronic pain people if someone who was or is famous would come out of the closet so to speak and chronicle the benefits of meds and pain drs. the only time it is mentioned is if someone gets arrested or dies due to narcotics. i find it curious that no one has come forward to state the benefits of them. i know that to some extent that this would be professional suicide to come out. i wish for once that some one who had the guts would be our advocate and go before congress. i have never heard of anyone famous that suffers from chronic pain and i don't mean the dufus jeff conway from taxi who is a drama play un to himself. we need a person who is respected, go before congress with tv and state that they would not be able to function if it was not for narcotic dispensed by a pain doctor.i personally believe if there were, this person would not come out due to the negative stigma associated with them. part of this is to blame from people who abuse and lie to get them. there is a tremendous amount of negative press about oxycontin,hillbillie heroin, due to the negative press about people who crush it up to get a "morphine high." this is ridiculous anyway because oxy is time release percodan not morphine. what do you think? is there any hope in the future? will a famous person become our advocate? does anyone know someone like this who will stick out their necks to help other chronic pain patients?
love and peace to all chronic pain people
your friend
jon >:D< :X :H =D>

I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
advertisement

Comments

• I don't know if anyone famous would help. I think it would be people in the medical proffesion that need to be our advacote. No one is going to care if some celebrity admits to it.

Oh I know who would be a great advocate-TOM CRUISE. NOT! Poor katy, she has to live with the nut. I used to have a lot of respect for him but not anymore. He is looney toons!
  • The end of their career if they did.

• Paula Abdul from American Idol had sdmitted to chronic pain from several cervical spinal surgeries. I believe that she's has a multi level ACDF. She's not exactly the poster child for chronic pain though is she? LOL! I think most of the time that when she's "spacey that she's taken meds to help her through a rough time. We've all probably had a day or two like that :$

Griff
  • you seem like you might be the person to help us out, could you try to become famous, can you sing, dance, act,maybe you could write a book, all kinds of ideas,we will all be your supporters,

idea- run for congress-that would be good how about that...

hehe just to let ya no its 3 AM in the morning
  • i have the looks the intellegence the charisma and the humility to run for office. the only think i have run for lately is the bathroom and the kitchen.my wife would love to be first lady and my son is ready to go into movies. like i said before, there may be snow on the roof but there is still fire in the furnace
    3 in the morning? i guess meds have not kicked in yet
    ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
    your humble friend
    next time someone asks how you feel say i feel the way a baby treats a diaper
    remember
    jon is not gone, he is the one
    =)) :D :& :))( L) :B :P :H :sick: =D> :O)
    jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • I will admit that I've actually written to the Dr. Phil shoe because on his message board for "Would you like to be on the show" there is a topic for those who live in chronic pain. What if a bunch of us got together and asked to all be on the show together to advocate for this? I not only needed his help to find me the bst doc to try and do osmething about my pain and my zero quality of life, but I also felt that this particular problem needs to be brought out into the open. There are so many people in the same situation, as everyone has seen on this board and I think it needs to be discussed in a positive way to help others find the help that they need. Plus to help educate those who do not understand. What do you think?
  • but i bet none of these people would go public and be advocates for pain meds and pain patients. if cloney said he took oxy and it saved his life it would be professional suicide. i would like this person to go public and before congress to say they take narcotics and it saved their lives. no famous person would do this in my opinion. we only get how narcotics almost killed me not saved me
    jon
  • Other than Liz Taylor with her ongoing back problems, the only other famous person I know to have a fusion was John F Kennedy snr. Apparently, it took him eight months from the surgery. It should give us all hope, if he can be a president with a back problem, there is hope for us all.
  • wow this was written 35 weeks ago-wow
    anyway jfk had back problems but like with everyone else who is famous, a big deal was made with the meds he took. the news complained about the dr prescribing this and that and how dangerous it was. the same with elvis, eventhough it was doubtful he had chronic pain. if someone is famous like betty ford, a bid deal is made how they got off of the evil drugs that almost killed them. i bet dimes to dollars that any famous person who is or was on meds says they got off of them because they ruined their lives or almost killed them. can some one name a famous person who says narcotics has saved their lives? i bet the farm that no one can
    jon
  • Daren from the 60s USA TV series bewitched ?? he had a bad back ..so bad that he had to give up his job and they replaced him with another actor..also one of our news man on the BBC George alagia {} he also has a bad back.
    STRAKER
  • Did they comment on pain meds that they took or not ? i know of the bewitched guy but th eother guy i never heard of. did they say narcotics saved their lives? i have not heard about their meds or thier use of them with chronic pain. the issue was famous pain people and if they advocate th euse of pain meds. i still have not heard of a famous person saying narcotics saved their lives
    jon
  • Hey Jon,

This is a really good post! I know I would benefit from hearing of some famous people out there who suffer from CP.

Other than the celebrities listed here already, you would think some professional sports people would surely have CP after their careers ended. (We can't include people who box though, k?)

You know... I do have one famous heroine to share. During Operation Iraqi Freedom, my Neurosurgeon was called in to treat the wounded. His very first patient was a woman POW/MIA from VA, who was suffering from severe life-threatening injuries, including broken bones and a spinal injury. This woman is our famous heroine Jessica Lynch. O:)

I know there is a lot online about Jessica. I remember my doctor telling me she even has children now. I will surf the web and see if she has mentioned anything regarding the benefits of Pain Management and pain medicine.

In any event, God bless that woman and may God continually bless my surgeons hands.

Now I'm crying...

Tammy
  • thanks
    i know of jessica lynch and the physical and emotional problems she has suffered during the war. i am a 100% supporter of military. see if you can what she does to deal with chronic pain and does it involve meds? didn't she also go to college? i think the more famous people that will stand up and be counted for pain, the better especially if they are on narcotics. we need a famous person who has benefited from narcotics to be a spokesperson for pain patients. we need an advocate to go on t.v. and spread a positive message about benefits of narcotics and how they help not hinder people
    thanks for the message
    jon
  • The only other one I can think of is Cindy McCain, who had suffered a herniated disc years back, but fell into trouble with pain pill addiction. It came out during the campaign and I'm glad no one through this in her face, which is rare when someone is running for office. I think she detoxed successfully and I have no idea if she's pain free or taking something else on the down low.
  • Paula Abdul has had a bad back since she was in a bus accident years ago. She's still on pain meds. I can tell because I watch American Idol.
  • Just a little pet peeve, Jessica is from WEST Virginia!
    Not Virginia, we get touchy about that :D

I read through some of this earlier, did anyone mention Jerry Lewis? He has publicly credited the SCS as saving his life after years of trying many, any, all conceivable drugs and treatments.

Montel Williams also suffers from M.S. and is talking about his pain and treatments, but I do not know how he approaches drugs.

It seems to me that you will primarily see celebritys approach their chronic pain when they have written a book and are doing the talks circuit. I think they may have the same problems we all do! If we go public, chances are good some S.O.B. anti drug person will research the source of their meds and shut them down! Who wants to, or can afford to do this? There is so much negative propaganda out there that if someone wants to they can easily manage to get our source or any celebritys source shut down, investigated, hassled, prosecuted. Somewhere someone will decide to make examples of us "druggies". We know what we are and what we are trying to do. We just want to try and find a way to live a normal live. To the antidrug crowd we are all junkies. Good luck trying to change their view.

Mark, who lives in WEST Virginia :D

• My sincere apologies, Mork!

WEST Virginia, WEST Virginia...

I shall remember that now! :D

(I still get these blonde moments, thanks to my meds!)

Tammy
  • I give a big warm welcome to you, Michael.

I thank you for serving our country. You are a hero. O:)

A curtsey to you, sir.

Tammy

P.S. Gentle hugs to all Spiney's. >:D<
  • Yep...you are correct.....It's WEST Virginia!! And yes we are touchy about it. When I lived in Texas and Kentucky and told people I was from West Virginia their response always was.....Oh I have people who live in Richmond or Roanoke ect....do you know so and so?? Hmmmmmm :? Sorry, do not know anyone who lives in Virginia.
    A lot of people do not know that we are 2 seperate states.
    Whew #:S thanks for the chance to clear that up.
    Now....wat the devil was this thread about??? :D ;)
    Patsy W in WEST Virginia
  • yes today she admitted an addiction to a patch that was more potent that morphine and yes she said it would have killed her, she was on it for 12 years. but she would have died if she did not get off them. she also used chinese potions to help. here is another celebrity that does not help the cause. once again we will die if we stay on meds and once again a doctor or another celebrity will not go to bat for pain patients and say this is all b.s. famous people will never say pain meds are good because it will ruin their career. it will never happen. and once again death is what awaits us and as a result, everyone out there who is not familiar with chronic pain will believe this and once again the media will write this and t.v. will report this. i am afraid that one of these days drugs like oxycontin etc will be banned due to the hysteria of the media. patches, oxy etc will no longer be aviable to us and we will have to deal with weaker pain meds which will not help a lot of us. i hate to be a doomsayer about this but it seems clear to me. there is no place for pain patients to rebut this crap. anyway if we could, who would believe us? it will be us vs paula abdul and the public will believe her over us
    good luck and healthy lives to all of my pain friends
    jon
  • MMA fighter Frank Mir had a life-threatening motorcycle accident when his thigh was actually crushed by a car running a red light and he was flown 30 feet. Major reconstruction of his leg but 2 years later made it back to the ring and now a champion. Used meds so he could rehab/PT hard but is off any meds now - pretty amazing recovery. (For those not familiar with MMA it involves a lot of kick-boxing).
  • Did Paula Abdul admit to abusing her Fentanyl patches? How could she have gone about it? I do not know. Wikipedia said it is misused and the results are often fatal, even in heroin addicts.

Did she really do this or is simply grown tolerant to it and thinks she's addicted. I'm on 100 mcg of it and I don't act loopy or space cadetish. It must be whatever break through meds she's taking that would accentuate the side effects. Taking muscle relaxers on top of that can add to it. I get really drowsy after taking it at bedtime and I fall asleep. Perhaps that's what happened during that infamous tv interview everyone talked about.

Why is she saying the patches nearly killed her? Maybe she didn't take it as prescribed and it may have caused some interaction with those Chinese potions she said she used. Oh well.

When will somebody come out and say "Yes, I am addicted but these medications are not deadly unless you abuse it and not follow directions."

So disappointing that no one will say that pain medications help millions of chronic pain sufferers all over the world and it is not evil. We follow the rules; chronic pain patient doesn't equal drug abuser, and we can't help that Hollywood has a long history of excess and drug and alchohol abuse.
  • Griff said: "I think most of the time that when she's 'spacey' that she's taken meds to help her through a rough time." I think the exact same thing, Griff! But, my husband was very quick to point out that he can always tell when my pain is through the roof because I am short-tempered and cannot concentrate on anything for any lenght of time. ? ? I never realized he was THAT in-tune... Wow...

And Meydey - Was Cindy McCain ADDICTED or DEPENDENT? The media will spin anything to make it support their agenda.

Yeah... I sure do wish that SOMEONE could step forward and put a face on chronic pain sufferers - explain our plight, the stigma we all face and the discrimination, etc.

Excellent topic to revive...

Jeaux
  • It's hard to get to the bottom of things with all the spin and BS. From what I heard, they said Cindy started abusing her meds but the real story is probably classified.

What does society say we should do, grin and bear it? Stay in bed because we can't function? Is this truly the best remedy for us?
  • about some study or other that did not shine a bright light on chronic pain medication use...

Apparently, whomever pays the most money, or weilds the most power has the final say in what we are all supposed to think, how we should behave or live...

Sadly, in a case such as Cindy's - sometimes it's better to just say nothing than to try and defend a point that most people would never understand anyway. She probably had a legitimate reason for taking her meds; probably took them as prescribed, but someone found out and used it against them (the McCain's). I find that horrible. For anyone to take someone's illness and use it against them is wrong. No matter how or why.
  • There was a story in the local paper about this, they spent like 2-3 Sundays exposaying the evils of pain meds, their highlited case? A bar worker that would buy "extra" meds from her "friends" at the bar! She did this until she could no longer keep her job or friends, of course it was all the meds fault! Nothing to do with her recreatinal use at all, or that fact that she seemed to not have any pain left after detoxing....Must be a miracle!

Seems like I say, we do not dare try and fight this battle as the only people standing to lose is us or our doctors! ONE ZEALOT and we or our doctors will be done. One case of the DEA beating on a doctors door claiming abuse will usually end his PM work.

One of the reasons I so badly wanted this SCS was to not have to be afraid everytime I am down to 10 tablets that I won't be able to get anymore...I am well read enough to not be afraid of the meds, often narcotics have less side effects and long term problems than the "nerve" meds that are the alternatives. All we need to do is follow the script and be careful.
  • Wrambler..
    You made a good point about some other medicines being more dangerous then pain meds. My grandmother used to take pain meds (only darvocet..but still) for her rheumatoid arthritis. She was then put on methotrexate long term and they stopped giving her pain pills. She just died last month from cirosis caused by her methotrexate and kidney failure caused by her celebrex. I'm not saying that she didn't need some medication to control the degeneration of arthritis, but sometimes the doctors go for big names (like giving her only celebrex for bad flare ups) and now she is gone. They kept her on the methotrexate for 20 years instead of exploring other options. They put her on celebrex along with the methotrexate because it was the newer drug that was better for pain supposedly.

Jackie
  • I am hoping that our doctors take these studies and opinions at what they are worth. LESS than a grain of salt. That they see these for what they are: propaganda, or mere opinions (you all know what they say about opinions, don't you?). That they (Doctors) know the value of pain medication; know their patients and how these said medications have had positive effects for their patients.

Finally, I am hoping just ONE nay-sayer has a bout with severe, chronic, and intractable pain.

But I don't mean that in a bad way, NO! :SS

Jeaux
  • Patsy W,

This is the second "whew" I have received from you... regarding an unintentional mistake I have made in a post?

You seem to feel very relieved to correct me on an error I make. :?

So... are there any other "whew's" you would like to address with me, before I start posting again?

I am beginning to take this personally, as this comment you made here... was the only one you made in this entire thread.

I am a positive person and can take corrective critism very well. I feel these "whew's" from you are a bit petty in nature, as we all make mistakes.

If I have said something to offend you, other than this West Virginia mistake and the other one this morning... please let me know.

Thank you.

patwhite101 said:
    Yep...you are correct.....It's WEST Virginia!! And yes we are touchy about it. When I lived in Texas and Kentucky and told people I was from West Virginia their response always was.....Oh I have people who live in Richmond or Roanoke ect....do you know so and so?? Hmmmmmm :? Sorry, do not know anyone who lives in Virginia.
    A lot of people do not know that we are 2 seperate states.
    Whew #:S thanks for the chance to clear that up.
    Now....wat the devil was this thread about??? :D ;)
    Patsy W in WEST Virginia
  • drop your socks and grab your narcotics.
    paula abdul states that reports that she was addicted to pain meds and she checked into a rehab to get off of them are according to our gal, false. she was mis quoted and taken out of context. once again a celebrity chickens out with respect to pain meds. she made it sound like she never heard of narcotics and never went to rehab. she realizes that to get off of her goofball image, she needs to say it is due to her quirkish personality not her addiction to drugs. anyway if she did say narcotics were good and beneficial the media would say they are? she can't even compose a coherent sentence or thought. narcotics have made her stupid. so is she just plain stoopid or is it the drugs that she says she is not on making her sound stoopid? we can't win for losing with regards to celebrities touting the benefits of narcotics.
    betty ford-drugs are bad
    cindy mccain-drugs are bad
    celebrity rehab-drugs are bad
    elvis-drugs are bad
    and it goes on and on
    oh well at least us drug addicts and dope addicts know the real truth, that narcotics have made it possible for most of us to lead productive lives and without them i would not be able to work, travel, have fun, play with my kids, go to football games etc
    they have saved my live not killed me
    get the word our fellow pain patients, narcotics have made it possible for us to lead productive lives and if the publlic does not believe us, too bad
    your friend in pain
    jon
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.