Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

can't sleep

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Ok, can some of you experts who have been there, give me some advise. No matter what I do, I cannot sleep for more then a few hours.

Constantly waking up with numb and tingling hands and arms. Have had 2 surgerys so far with maybe another one. Is there anything you people have tried (besides medication) to get a good nites sleep. The only way I can get the couple hrs of sleep is to sleep on my back which I am not use to, but, starting to face the facts that is the only way I can actually get any sleep. I have no problem falling asleep, the problem is staying asleep as I move around during the night trying to un-numb the numb arms and hands. (does that make any sense?) My husband is getting really frustrated also. Any tips to a good un-restful nights sleep.
advertisement

Comments

• maybe a dose of magnesium will help
    but i have the same problem and what i do is wear a soft collar neck brace when i get in bed, it took a couple of days to get used to but now doesn't bother me at all now i don't wake up during night because of my arms, hands and fingers tingling, numbing .i think it keeps my head from moving down toward my chest or something but it works one night i thought i would try to sleep with out it and sure enough tingling arms hand and fingers, so that's my suggestion please try it and let me know take care and good luck!
  • :) hi! sorry you are unable to sleep. the magnesium is a good idea but i add melatonin and take it in combination. they are natural remedies and can be bought over the counter in your drug store. good luck and i hope you get some pain relief soon! Jenny :)
  • A large glass before going to bed and a small glass each time you wake up during the night.

Keeping our spines hydrated is no kidding a real deal. During the day, the inner most portion of the discs dehydrate and during the night they tend to rehydrate themselves. This is one of the big reasons we are shorter at night then we are in the morning.

Helping the discs to hydrate, reduces the chance of nerve compression during the night as we sleep.

"C"
  • I have been having the same problem as you and thought it was still part of recovery of C5-C6 fusion in Oct 07. I was sent for EMG testing and they feel I have some carpal tunnel problems. The neurologist recommended wearing wrist braces to sleep in so that I couldn't "bunch up" may hands. I got some with the metal band that goes from the palm down to the wrist and they have been working wonders. I no long have the pain and tingling that followed the numbness in my hands. Hope this can help you as well. :-C
  • Justdoit, the first question to ask, even though it may sound silly, is this: does the smaller amount of sleep cause you any problems during the day?
    When I mentioned to my GP that my sleep was very broken and troublesome, he said that as I wasn't working my body wasn't as tired as it used to be, and therefore I needed less sleep. He was right, as I find that even though I might get 2-3 hours only, the next day I am quite OK.
    It's just so annoying lying there, thinking the same old things. Getting up or reading disturbs the partner, so you just lie there for hours.
    My wife takes melatonin and says it helps her to sleep. I take Valerian most nights and a small muscle relaxant dose when I feel I need a bit of sleep (sore neck mainly). But some nights I'm wide awake whatever I take.
    Hard to adjust to less sleep but it seems as you age you have to.
  • I feel for you. I feel like I just need to sleep and I would feel better
  • thank you all very much for the help and suggestions. i just need to be able to get a good 5 hrs of sleep and i will be a happy camper.
advertisement