Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Going for surgery in the next few weeks a little scared.

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in New Member Introductions
Ok so me, Im 20 yrs old and in april I started having really back neck pains and shoulder pains. After a month It was discovered I have a Congenital reversal of the cervical facet joint in the C6 Vertebrae. Basically it is missing a pedical and some other things.

My nuerosurgeon guy said its EXTREMELY rare, he couldnt really find much about it so its taken a while to work out what to do with me.

I had needles in my neck (OWWW) and MRI's and finally he has decideded to fuse the joint to try and unsquash the nerve thats causing the pain in my shoulder.

So its happening in the next few weeks (dont have a date yet) and Im a little scared about pain and the risks. Im also a little freaked that Ill be in a brace for 6 weeks after. I guess I'm just freaked in general.

Sorry this is soo long :O)
advertisement

Comments

• and welcome to the forum. Your post was not too long , you always post as much as you need to. You will find alot of support and understanding from our amazing members here. It is quite normal to be nervous before surgery , I know I was and I came here and posted and it really helped to calm my nerves. If there is anything that I can help you with then please just let me know. Please keep us posted as to how you are doing and when you get your surgery date.....take care....Miki
  • I am having a C4 C5 PRODISK replacement done, and I am terrified! 2 years ago I had my C5 C6 fused and I hear bad things about having 2 neck surgeries... I am just scared, and I don't know where to turn. I have read many blogs on this site, and I thought maybe it could help me...
  • and welcome to the forum...we will be here to support you and you won't have to travel this road alone. If there is anything that I can help you with then please just let me know....take care....Miki
  • you both find some relief with the procedures you are having. Welcome to SH and I think you will find tons of resources and support here.
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. good luck with your procedure and please let us know of your outcome! see you around. Jenny :)
  • of you. Surgery is always a scary thing but try and concentrate on the possibility of being pain free and getting a normal life back post op. Please keep us posted on your progress.
  • Thanks for all the wishes. I sure will be happy for the outcome. I'm so sick of constant pain.
  • definitely relate to that!
  • I had surgery on August 26, 2008 to remove my fractured C7, replace it with a femur bone, then fuse the C6-C7 and T1 together. I was really scared because the surgical area was close to my spinal cord with some risks. There are always risks but remember that doctors have to tell us that. Do not worry and try not to be scared. I know that reading these forums helped me A LOT and I promised that I would write so everyone that was in my situation would have peace of mind.

At the hospital, it also helped that my anesthesiologist gave me a small dose of a tranquilizer while I was still in my room. By the time I was in the operating room, I was ready for any surgery!

The 3 hour surgery went really well; I was discharged the day after and am currently recovering at home in a neck collar for 6 weeks. The collar is not that bad but I would avoid outside activities because it gets petty warm in these things. :)

Good Luck to you. I’m here if you have any questions!

• Ya'll will both do well. I was scared when I had my surgery. It will all work out. Just try not and rush recovery. That was my mistake.
advertisement