Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

6 Days Post Op PLIF

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am resting back at home after my L5-S1 PLIF on 18 Aug. I feel pretty good considering all that has occured. I wasnt in nearly as much pain as I anticipated, I really hated the pain pump at the hosital because I would wake up in severe pain. The ride home was the worst. I am just tring to get my BM's in order now. I bought a laxative to take overnight.
advertisement

Comments

• I agree about the ride home it was rough for me too. It was a 50 min ride and I felt every bump. Be sure to follow your discharge orders carefully. As for the BM issue I had a bad time with that. They should not have even discharged me until I had a successful one in my opinion. It was still days after and it took me a while to figure out how to smooth things out. I started using Plum Smart Plum juice and if I really need it (in the beginning I did) I ate Raisin Bran daily. These helped me get more regular.

This "adventure" will have it's ups and downs. Just hang tough and get in the mental mode of healing. When I first got frustrated and voiced to my husband about how useless I felt and how miserable I was laying all the time he told me to think of this as my job. My job is to do everything I need to to assure a good strong fusion. For me I got slightly worse around week 3 but have done much better weeks 5-6. My biggest complaint now at 6 weeks besides boredom is general pelvic achiness I think that is from the l/5 S1 level.

I hope you mend quickly and that everything goes well for you. Remember to walk but do what feels comfortable. If it hurts a lot don't' push it.

Good luck with everything!!
  • Is an awesome way of looking at it. Your husband is a genius. Heh. Thinking of it as your job, and doing it correctly and to the best of your ability is probably the greatest way to stay focused and think positive. Sweet :)
  • is a definite problem. Talk about Pain. I think I had blood filling the toilet for about two weeks every time I had a BM. I even took Colace twice a day. Just take it slloooowwwww and easy :)

Hope you continue to do well in your recovery,
    Christina :)
  • Welcome to the other side, now you can get on with your new job, healing! I too felt much better once rid of the pain pump and onto oral meds. They just stay with you longer with less ups and downs. In fact they never turned my basal rate on my pca on, the continuous drip, so maybe that is what happened to you too. (It would give me a dose if I pushed it, so had to keep waking up to push it). I am a nurse and I knew it wasn't on, but was too out of it to complain at the time. By the time I said something they said it was time for it to be off anyways, oh well. Constipation is a major issue! I always thought I knew this being a nurse and all, but I really had NO clue! I will definitely be advocating to get my patients some good stool softeners and laxatives ordered from now on. I thought I was gonna die, was worse than childbirth, I swear. This is where the handles on the potty seat were needed, to hold on for dear life :''( Anyways I sent my sis to the pharmacy with this shopping list: Colace, Miralax, and best of all dulcolax suppositories! It was hard (no pun intended) but I made it through :) Good Luck and hope everything goes well. Sue
  • Holding on for dear life!!! =)) =))

I choose Milk of Magnesia downed with a small can of prune juice - it took just over 2 hours for the results - but it did work.

I DID have regular softeners every day in the hospital, I can't imagine how much worse things would have been if I had NOT had those.
  • if I have forgotton to take my collace (sp)..... I hate it if I fall asleep with out it. I feel bloated all day and I am not even eating 1/2 of what I used to.

I also try to eat a high fiber cereal every day as well.

Julie :B

advertisement