Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post fusion surgery backpain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hiya I am brand new here. I wanted to ask those of you who have had fusions, how long the pain lasted post-op and did you have any tips besides prescription pain killers. I am getting very discouraged. :S
advertisement

Comments

• I had a fusion-but I can't take pain meds-they make me sick. I never took anything but tylenol. After the first 4 days or so-the pain got a lot more tolerable. How long ago was your surgery?
  • shay

Thank you for responding. I guess I should have mentioned that when I posted the question. Yikes. My surgery was on August 4, 2008 so 3 weeks now.
  • I had my last fusion on June 24th and I still have to take narcotic painkillers from time to time. I also take flexeril as well. My use of these has drastically cut down from pre-surgery. I usually only take the painkillers once a day now. Dont worry, things will gradually get better.

Best Wishes,
    Christina :)
  • Your surgery was 1 day before mine (aug 5). I guess everyine is different. What areas did you get fused? What type of fusion was it? Mine is listed in my signature.
  • getting stronger every day. Mine is almost 4 weeks and I had posterior. Today is the second day that I haven't napped since my surgery >:D<

Simple tasks exhaust me and any unauthorized movements cause severe pain..... My NS didn't give me a brace and I will not see him until Sept 25th.

I take my meds every 6 hours and it makes a serious impact on my pain levels.

Feel Better >:D<

Julie
  • does any one know when it is safe to use NSAIDS?

Julie
  • My surgeon said no nsaids for 1 year , sorry you are having such a hard time! I have to wear a hard shell brace unless I am laying FLAT-which means in the shower and middle of the night to go to the bathroom! I wish I did not have to wear one! I have to keep it on for 3 months. WHy do you think some surgeons insist and others do not order them at all?
  • I'm clueless on the brace thing, the difference, despite same surgeries. I guess every PERSON is different, including our surgeons.

I am off pain meds now too. A little early I think, but then I get terribly sick on narcotics, Ibu was my choice pre-op as well. Too bad they are out of the picture for a year. Oh, well, they do kill my stomach at times too.

My DH had a microdiscectomy and he was on meds for 18 mo. post surgery.
  • Julie, my understanding is that you should not use NSAIDS until you have a solid fusion forming. My NS said at least 3 months,maybe longer. I sooooo misssss my IBUPROFEN! This ache in my back, SI joints, sore hips is craving some so bad. I am sure I would be oh so comfy if I could have my lovely IBU :X
  • Joanie, my surgery was on Aug 5, so almost 3 weeks too here. I am taking Norco 10mg about 3-4 a day, and skelaxin 800mg 3 times a day. I too am getting discouraged at needing them still, as was an IBU girl pre-op, except for last 2 weeks prior had to give it up. I miss it dearly and I think it would be just the right med for this type of pain I have, but no can do. Seems it is common to still be needing narcs from what I have read here on SH. I definitely have to get off of it before I go back to work as I am an RN and can't be on narcs at work.

Shay, so sorry about your rigid brace requirements :( I have that awful brace as well, but I can leave it off in bed, and to go to the BR, also to go from bed to chair, etc. I need to wear it for taking walks, doing anything at all around house, in car, or out and about. Pre-op I was told maybe/maybe not on the brace, then I got a script in the mail to go get fitted, so much for that. At my 2 week check-up, NS said 6 more weeks at least in brace, yuck! Now we both have hardware, so it seems as that should be doing the job for us on the inside. My only thought is the brace keeps us from accidently bending or twisting which could be damaging. Oh well, guess we just have to be good girls and wear the stupid sweaty thing. I call it my Zena Warrior Princess costume :) Sue
  • I'm sorry you are uncomfortable. The 3-4 week mark was a rough week or so for me but it seems to get better and better, I'm 6 weeks post-op and fairly pleased with how I am doing. Like Cali-Sue I was a huge ibuprofin user pre-op and I really miss it. I took 800 mg 3-4 times a day. Most of my pain now is a ache that settles in my pelvis and hips, I know IB would knock it right out but it is a no no. I've tried plain Tylenol but it does nothing for me. Have you tried ice or heat? Early on the heat was more comfortable for me but now I get so hot and sweaty with the brace that it is nice to lie down with an ice pack and skip my percocets. I am down to 1 or 2 percs a day which is half a dose. Walking will sometimes help too.

Hang in there and things should improve!!

gentle hugs,

Kel
  • I thought I had heard some where that there was a certain length of time w/o nsaids. I am afraid to take tylenol but have on occation- it hasn't seemed to work on anything for years.

That being said now I wonder about SAMe- it used to help my hip pain a lot. I will have to call and ask the ns next week.

I am acually feeling pretty good right now (knocks on wood) :T

Peace :H
    Julie

• I've been taking Celebrex from Day 1. Had been taking Feldene pre surgery but had to stop for 2 weeks, then straight after surgery they started giving me Celebrex. Went back to Feldene for a while but as I have developed stomach problems I switched back to the Celebrex.

So my O/S doesn't see it as a problem as he prescribed it for me. Maybe it is beccause I also have Lupus so other joint pain as well as back.

Blessings Sara
  • I went for follow up on August 20, 2008. Surgeon stated I can use the brace if I want but with the incision in front it rides right over the it. I don't use it. I am trying to just take Extra Strength Tylenol but it really doesnt make a dent.

I wish I had known the right questions to ask before surgery as I didnt' expect the bowel movememt issue which kept me in the hospital an extra 4 days. I still need the walker which is frustrating. OH my OH my when will the pain end lol... What a world What a world. :<

• I am "with" you guys missing the IB-I also have cervical and thoracic issues that bring on killer headaches-Tylenol does not even touch the pain! I have been using ice packs to try to settle it down. My hubby used to be able to pull my neck out and adjust it but now I am afraid to let him do that since I always felt a "pull" in my low back when he did it prior to surgery. I am bored out of my mind too! Today my husband went back to work and the kids are back in school-the house is way too quiet!
  • My house is too quiet too and I have a sinus headache for the second day in a row :( Funny how these norco help my back, but don,t touch my headache :/ I wish I could go to my chiro and get my neck adjusted, but don,t think he'd touch me with a ten foot pole being 3 weeks post-op #o
  • I think my headaches were from the post-op Roxicodone. No headaches since I've been off it. 'course the pain is still there some days now. Ah, well.

Speaking of Tylenol, I'm going to try some tonight early enough to see if it will help my achy legs.
advertisement