Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Feel like crap

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Is it normal to still feel like crap 6 days post op? I called my doctor to get my prescription refilled. I had 100 hydrocodone and I can take 2 every 4 to 6 hrs and you guessed it when the 4hrs are up, bang the pain is back . The reason I called to get the prescription refilled is because I only have about 30 left and I know they can take up to 2 days to get the prescription refilled. I can sometimes go 5 hr but I have not made it 6. Last night was the worse, I had such pain in my arm it took an hour for the pain meds to kick in. I am not sleeping well yet, I would love to sleep in my bed and I do have a pillow wedge but I can not get comfortable. I sleep in the recliner and when I finally get up in the morning my back hurts. My throat is a little better I can know eat more it still feels like there is something in there and I have not tackled real food yet. I am feeling very frustrated because I do not think I should have pain like this since I only had a level 1 c5/c6. Thanks for letting me whine
advertisement

Comments

• I am almost 5 weeks post op and yesterday was a very rough day for me. My throat hurt worse than it did after surgery, I had numbness/tingling, and some feelings that I cant even describe. Yes, it is very normal to feel like crap especially since you are only 6 days post op.
  • i do remember more pain the longer out of surgery that i was for a while but it slowly got better. when i went off the pain meds the pain didn't seem as bad for some reason. sometimes i think that they exaggerate the feeling of the pain.i started weaning myself off after about a six weeks after surgery.I still had pain but not as bad. as the numbness starts to leave it will definitely turn to pain and then the pain will eventually subside. ;)
  • 6 days out I felt like you. It's 7 weeks now and I still have a little bit of numbness and hardly any pain. I've been weaning myself off of Tylenol and after a bad last weekend and a trip to the ER for my own sanity, Valium, which really helped with the muscle spasm I was having.

I found that Lortab helped with the pain better than Percocet (which also made me feel itchy).

I go for my 9 week check up next week, so I can hopefully ditch the Aspen collar all together at that point.

Feel better soon!!!!

• The first two weeks really I had lots of pain, on and off, and religiously just kept on my flexeril schedule and hydrocodone. The hydrocodone would knock me out, fortunately, so I felt like I would at least be able to sleep through the pain.

I'm 10 weeks post-op though now and haven't taken any hydrocodone in over two weeks and just occasionally have some neck pain, mostly from my overdoing.

Hang in there. We've all been through what you're going through, and believe me, it will get better.

Monique
  • My doctor asst. said they would like me off pain meds within two weeks of surgery. He said I can do muscle relaxents.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,726
    It seems to be the trend now that many Neurosurgeons would like to see their patients off all pain medications after two weeks post surgery.
    Personally that sounds very aggressive , but if its doable, then great. However, most people are know that have had surgery recently are looking at about a month of pain medications before things start to settle in. Each situation is different.
    When I had my last surgery (2000), the doctors kept me on pain medication for about 2 months post op... When I had my first surgery (1978), I was on pain meds for about 7 months post op.
    Procedures have changed, mindsets have changed, I think the only thing that hasnt changed is patients
    There is no need to be in pain when there is legitimate reasons to manage it.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
advertisement