Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

28 hours and counting

William GarzaWilliam Garza TexasPosts: 2,209
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Sleep Problems
Ya ...things are gitting a wee bit fuzzy, this no sleep thing is a little bit of a inconvienience.
You know the slow thoughts
the constant yawns..wide enough and loud enough to wake the dead
the constant fatigue
the body ache
the slightly giggley feeling as the world goes a wee bit ...off.
the ,theres not enough coffie,caffien,mountain dew,monster green,red,choose your color,
monster coffies..mmmmmmm!
ephedrine
caffiene and ephedrine
the cycle of not sleeping at nightandnowyouhavetotakethewakeywakeytofunction,type day!
so..
what did i miss?
howda you stay wakey wakey when its all gone wrong?
and how do you fight the viscious cycle?
advertisement

Comments

• I hate to hear that you have gotten into the no sleep cycle. How come you're not sleeping well? I'm sorry if that's a stupit question.....

I hated to do it, but I had to ask my doc for some sleepy time medicine. I've got too much to do during the day; I commute 50 miles each day, have the extra-curriculars with my 2 youngest sons, then there's dinner, homework, laundry, dishes, and everything else (and I know I'm not the only person who is in this position and have all those things to worry about). I tell my husband I am on second shift when I get home. He thinks I am being ridiculous. He workd shift work; so he works a couple days, is off a couple days, works a couple nites, is off a couple days.... lucky dawg.

I was falling asleep on the way to work, at my desk, on my way home. I was becoming a danger to myself and the other commuters. My doc had no problem giving me a sleep aid.

Now, at least I can get in a good 4 - 5 hours before the pain wakes me up. I'll take 4 or 5 hours any nite. It's better than an hour or 2 here and there. (|:

Is there any reason (other than taking yet another pill) why you couldn't take Ambien or Lunesta until you got back on schedule? Or even Advil PM?

I hope you feel better soon and can manage to get the rest you need.

"Lullaby and good nite. Go to sleep now, sweet angel... Lullaby and goodnite, get some sleep now, don't make me come over there and bonk you on the head".

Take care, my buddy.

Jeaux
    I)

• Hiya Jeaux! ya the sleep is all messy, circadian rythyms all shot to hell. Wonder what uncle Boudroux would say...Hmm wwbd?
    Don worry bout the question its all good, i have no sleep meds,ya it is kinda sad
    hope your feelin well!
    hugs to you and the kids and hubby and family and uncle Boudroux!
    class ios over soon and maybe i will get a little sleep in, iffin i dont see ya soon, i'll holler tommorow
  • WWBD? Boudreaux would drink hisself a bottle of likker and pass out. (WWBD? that's funny! i got a big chuckle out of that)

But, Uncle B is not taking medication like we are....

I sure hope you get you some ZZZzzzz's soon.

Take care!

Jeaux
  • Hiya Mama, ya i finally got to bed round 10 ish last night,whats that, like 38 hours? i shoul be gittin paid for that, a weeks worth of nosleep! dang..
    I hope your wellt'day! i slept passed my alarm and didnt get top school until late,Willies gonna git in trouble for that i tell ya!
    All those Prayers from the great and wonderful state of Louisiana helped! tonight i think i may have a nip...or two, of the Grand Marniere(thats a french word for fancy orage moonshine...maybe...)but jes a nip! my liver gits aquiver when it smells something else thrown at it, poor little feller, all these years of pain meds, truck stop cuisine, and generaly just beeing fat have reduced the mass to a fearfull teary eyed organ...ohh no..what next type of thing! but i digress.
    Thanks for the love and hugs and kisses to you and your'n!
    ime wallowing in pain right now,so i gotta git home and lay down and make like gator in bedsheets...waiting to pounce on supper!
    love
    Ranch
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,722
    Jeaux, ouch. Boy that is so hard when you are on the go all the time and not getting the sleep you need and then you find yourself nodding out during the day. I know, I've been there way too many times.
    Besides the nodding out, I knew my body could not handle that day in and day out. To try to get any type of recover, our bodies need a good REM sleep. Plain ole sleep is good, but you really need to be out.
    Sometimes, sleep medication is the only way to get that.
    Good luck, and please be careful, dont want anything to happen to you on the road...
    Now if you fall asleep at work, just make sure you head does not plop into any cup of coffee or plate of food. Thats embarrassing.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • No internet at the house, bummer! maybe i'll go park in the library parking lot and sit there amongst the skeeters and transients! tippy typing away on my laptop.
  • I am so sorry that you have not been getting the rest that you so desperately need. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers sugar....Miki
  • Hiya Mikki! ya i got to break the circadian cycle ime in. The only way to do that is to stay awake and exhaust myself. I go through this a lot. but by monday i could be back on an even keel!
    Part of the problem is that i use stimulants to stay awake and alert(coffie-tea-mtdew- orephedrine on the realy bad days) coz i am all out of sorts from the not getting rem sleep.
    so i get more tired coz of the pushing, then bedtime, and the pain in the neck/thoracic mainly/and lower back-legs, keeps me up. so the cycle deepens.
    Thanks for your concern and prayers! Coming here helps me cope coz we're all in the same little canoe and the creek is not so narrow. Late at night i see others who suffer just like me or worse. so i feel better when i can help with a kind word or a shoulder. hence thew trip to the library parking lot, a big gulp in the cup holder and Spine Health lighting up my bloodshot eyed, saggy faced self!

I know these sleepless nights affect others in different ways. I see when they have had enough of the cycle coz thats when the despair hits,it becomes an obsession the idea of sleep/ rest/ being away from the pain/...escape.

i wish i could hold some of you guys till you fall asleep, but i cant,
    Hope all you'all are feeling great today and tonight!
  • it is so tough not to be able to sleep. I am an insomniac so I know what you are going through my friend....it is a tough road to travel and it makes every other bad and painful thing in your life seem worse. I think our pain and stress levels would be so much better if we could but sleep well.... I)
  • I have had insomnia for ages, thats why i drove a truck , it was easy to push and make money taking advantage of a problem, trouble is, now i need to sleep to function, but you know. I can "push" as long as i need to,thats a no pooper... the 38 total i was awake the other day is th norm most of the time. i learned to recognise and deal with the side affects of extended sleep depravation, having an outlet with people with similar experiences is a coping mechanism(ime going to do a paper on this subject for english next semester)to the newby spineys it is a stressor and frightening. Building a coping mechanism is important to the overall mental well being to a person, when your defences are down, your gonna be real close to any emotion and suseptable to them, coz of not having a firewall of distance/rest to cushion the everyday agonies.
    Ime only a decade or so into the world of spiney i see others whove been here for most or al their lives. There is a commen thread here, you learn to hunker down and turn your back to the storm, the newbee folks are exposed to the raw fury of all the emotions. part of our jobs i think is to give shelter to those who need it until they are strong enough, or smart enough to stand .
    then building up all the scar tissue thay will be a stronger person.
    ive gone a few days on 2-3 hours of sleep here and there, but in the end i was an emotional wreck and physically got sick, but i know the signs of a coming emotional rupture where any little thing will set me off, or drive me to tears..learning your limits and knowing when to listen to them is the hard part, but once you have these tools i think it gets easyer
  • I think you do a fine job of helping not only the newbies but everyone here... =D>
  • Reading your posts makes me so sad, but it sounds so familiar to me. You do get to point where every little thing can set you off. I feel bad for going off on my husband or daughter and I really try to keep a lid on it, but sometimes it spews before I can catch it. I have mentioned before the medications I take for sleep, but I will mention it again because they work SO well for me. I take Rozerem 8mg and AmbienCR 12.5 mg EVERY NIGHT for sleep. One without the other WILL NOT WORK! I ran out of one and had a big mess with my mail order pharmacy and it took forever to get it in. I went DAYS without sleep while waiting for it to come in. When it finally did I slept like a baby! It was such a relief. I take these meds around 8:30 and go to sleep around midnight and have no residual effects the next morning (very important). I hope that you get your sleep cycles worked out and if not, I hope you get something to help you sleep.

Added note: The Rozerem is NOT addictive! Another great plus! It might work for you by itself. The first night I took it itself it put me to sleep at about 10:00, but after that, I had to take them both to get the desired effect. ">image
  • Sounds like a movie huh? ya anger is one of the effects of not sleeping, i finnaly got some last night! woo hoo! round 8 hours strait! it takes geting to exhaustion to get me to sleep when i get like this. anger, despair, irrational thoughts manic thoughts, unrealistic expectations, venting when you dont mean to,all symptomes of slep depravation,hallucinations(ya i saw the black dog a few times) tell ya about it some time. its easy to become cognizant of the effects, acting on them to prevent them are the hard part. you just get to fed up and have to let it all out ,internalising these emotional trainwrecks waiting to happen is not healthy, your very loved ones will not understand why one day...you walk around with all your hair on end and ready to attack, its your bodys natural defences saying THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG HERE!!! and sadly sometimes its something you have no control over.. then is when you let it all wash over you like a wave,ya dont fight this..you let go,you cry,you yell scream your heart out at the injustice...then you move on! thats the important part, let it go and move on, you have no control over your situation, but you will regain some semblance of normalcy by moving on, you dont want to hold on to the anger and frustraition,that unhealthy, our western culture seems to teach stubbornness, well in this case its misguided.
    tenacity is good when its guided and pointed inn the right direction. let go of all the sorrow and anger ok? coz its alright to do so.
advertisement