Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Had my 10 day post op visit with NS

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had my 10 day post op visit with my Neurosurgeon. I had a C3 partial corpectomy and C4 full corpectomy and disk removal and fusion with instrumentation on August 13th for mylopathy. The NS said everything looks good and he said I can wear the soft collar for comfort if desired. Also, he said I can slowly return to my normal activities. He gave me the go ahead to drive. Yea!

My leg weakness is gone. My hands and fingers are still numb and he said the numbness takes the longest to recover.

My only difficulty remaining is that it is still difficult to swallow. Regular foods just stick in my throat, so I am still eating a diet of soft foods, cream of wheat, cottage cheese, applesauce, etc. I am trying to eat regular foods, but it is extremely difficult to swallow even after chewing a zillion times. I had fiber optic intubation.

I still feel the need sometimes to lift my head with my hands when I get out of bed in the morning.
All in all, I feel great!
Brenda

advertisement

Comments

• Driving after 10 days? That is awesome! I always feel more in control when I can drive myself somepleace. Even if only to go to the end of the driveway and check the mail!

Congratulations!!

Jeaux
  • Driving after 10 days!! I'm still waiting until Oct 1 to get an official release to drive :(

Congrats on the great news!
  • Hi
    My mylopathy symptoms were bilateral hand numbness and right leg weakness. The leg weakness is gone totally. The hand and finger numbness is still present, but I do feel it is improving. I used to feel a definite feeling of always wearing gloves and that sensation is no longer there. The doctor said that numbness takes the longest to recover. I will try to be patient. I know that the decompression surgery is mainly to stop the progression of symptoms, but that there is also the possibility of recovery. I'm interested in hearing about others' experience with recovery from numbness due to mylopathy.

I am taking no pain medication except for tylenol for the sore throat. So pain medication is not an issue for me for driving.

I drove for a short distance yesterday and found myself doing a few full body turns to see clearly. I will ease into the driving. I still have a few weeks before I will return to work (desk job).

The incision on my neck is healing nicely. After the glue came off it was not nearly as scary looking. It kind of disappears into a line on the neck. Not nearly as noticeable as I first thought.
    Brenda

Brenda
  • HI,
    I never noticed any stiffness in my neck after surgery. I have noticed a decreased in the numbness, mine was in my feet and legs. I have been driving since about 3-4 weeks after surgery, went back to work at six weeks. Even though I get so frustrated. I have to admit things are getting better every day. Right now I am dealing with swelling of my feet and legs. I had some puffiness before surgery but not swelling. Now my feet and ankles swell so much that I have to take my shoes off. My NS says he doesn't think it is from the surgery, I think it is. I have more trouble walking when my feet swell, it feels like there are balls on the balls of my feet and my balance is off when that happens. If it wasn't for that I would agree with the NS but because of that I do think it has something to do with the surgery. Even with that I am glad I am doing better and seem to be getting better every day.
advertisement